A thread for those who actually love the iPhone 8/8+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4ppleg1rl, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

The Iphone 8 plus I just got definitely seems to idle much better than the 7 plus. Anyone got a 7 that they can compare with?

69FE5749-416E-4B5F-8D92-5F9A867A0A3C.png

2. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

Ive returned 8+ and went back to my 7+. Only thing i really miss is surpringly speakers. 8+ has not just 25% louder but also better stereo separation and bass. I was really enjoying it.

3. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502

Loving the battery life. This isn’t steaming music in the background or anything, this is all screen on usage

Attached Files:

4. Lucas71 macrumors newbie

I got the 8 plus, i just cant stand this ugly notch

The removal of Touch ID was another deal breaker for me

This iPhone X looks like a rushed product, an unfinished gadget

I think next year iPhone will bring Touch ID on the screen and a solution for this hideous notch

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

And I don't see enough people talking about the stereo speakers with the increase of volume. Apple briefly mentioned it during the keynote, but it really is a nice thing to have for playing music through the speakers or taking phone calls as well. And the speakers really are powerful enough where you can leave your phone stationary and still hear everything from a good distance.

6. daffie, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

daffie macrumors regular

daffie

Loving the battery life on my iPhone 8 Plus as well. This is on ios11.1 beta 1...10.5 hours usage with 5% left. Approximately 6,5 - 7 hours of ‘real’ app usage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502

Here is how it finished off the day

Attached Files:

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I second everything you said. Love the speaker improvements.

9. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I agree. The speaker improvements are great!

10. martin2345uk macrumors regular

martin2345uk

Took my 8 plus back in the end and now am back to my 6S. I do miss those speakers

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

First day I brought my 8+ home (last week Tuesday) - I played several movie theme songs on the phone and was just floored at the bass, quality, and loudness. haha. Had to go through all my favorite movie soundtracks, etc... :)

12. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

Love the 8+. It’s a beast. Alas, someone at the manufacturing facility forgot to check for dead pixels/dust particles. That’s a no-no for a phone in that price range where I’m concerned. Wasn’t too pleased with display uniformity compared to my old 6+ either. I know you can’t expect true perfection from LCD technology, but it should at least be on par with a 3 year old phone, right? Got another one coming. We shall see if that one is acceptable. If not, I’ll give it one more try before having to make the decision between living with my 6+ for another year or try my luck with the X. Who knows, maybe they do more a thorough check on those before shipping them. Well, one can hope... considering the price.

13. RhysoTDI macrumors member

RhysoTDI

Loving the battery life on my 8

Where it says iphone has been on charge it was literally on the pad for about 30 seconds as I demonstrated it to my work colleagues

Attached Files:

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I played through some of my soundtracks, classical, pop, and jazz.

15. addey macrumors newbie

I love the 8 plus and I don’t mind the bezels one little bit. The note 8 I just returned had no bezels and it was awkward to hold and the fingerprint reader was in a really bad position.

The battery on the 8 plus is amazing and the camera is the best in the business. Throw in apples customer service and rock solid operating system and we have a winner.

16. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I wouldn’t have even upgraded this year except my fiancée’s 6 is barely hanging on to life at this point. She doesn’t care at all about having the latest and greatest so she took my 7 and let me upgrade instead. I thought about waiting for the X before deciding $1000 was more than I wanted to spend on a phone. So I got the 8 instead.

Overall, I’m very pleased. The glass back is probably my favorite feature, as it finally makes me comfortable using the phone without a case. The aluminum back on the 7 was just so slippery and the glass on the 8 offers much better grip. Aside from that, the slow sync feature on the camera flash is a great, largely unsung feature. Also, True Tone is nice to have, though it does seem to be a bit more tilted toward yellow than on my iPad Pro 9.7. Finally, the phone is very speedy and offers good battery life (though comparing to the year old battery on my 7 hardly seems fair)! Overall, a solid, if largely iterative update from the 7. The iPhone has done everything I need it to since about the 6S, so I’m having a harder time getting excited about upgrades these days!

17. Mick_ag macrumors newbie

Which app is that?

18. Jabar18 macrumors member

Used a 6 for three years. Bought an 8+. Hated the size. It legit felt like a brick in my hand and like I was holding a slab of metal up to my ear making a call. Way too big for me to get used to. It was so freaking heavy!

Swapped it out for an 8. Much better. Big time upgrade from a 6.

19. HylianKnight macrumors member

I saw an iPhone 8 in person for the first time today. I caught it out of the corner of my eye, resting screen down a guests table and I did a double take. It really is a good looking phone. That said, I’m getting the iPhone X.

20. Fthree macrumors 6502a

About a week in with the 8+ and I have to say I have no regrets and am not missing the 7. Yes it’s bigger but it is so much faster and I am enjoying the sound and the massive detailed screen. X will be nice but I already know I’ll want the Xs or whatever’s next in apples line up next sept and if I would have got the X this year I’d probabky be waiting till dec or so to get thus throwing my upgrade later.

21. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

Some things I'm not sure about re: external speakers - I'm aware the 8 (& 7 also?) uses the earpiece as one of the stereo speakers & the bottom facing speaker as the other, for landscape mode.

But are these speakers of equal quality?

Also, when in Portrait mode, are there two bottom facing stereo speakers or just the one (visually there are two grills, which I presumed meant two speakers)? If there's just one, is there stereo sound for Portrait mode at all?

22. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

(Copy/paste from my battery life thread)

Ok... 12 days later I wanted to update my post on the battery life.

Yesterday I worked an extremely long day... 17 hours. What I like to do at work as an alternative to listening to music all the time is listen to Kindle books or movies.

Yesterday I streamed movies with the Xfinity app all day long. I put a movie on and throw the phone in my desk drawer. Full screen HD, 40% screen brightness, true tone on.

[​IMG]

13+ hours of video later... still had 7% life which would have put me over the 14 hours of video Apple listed in the specs.

As said, can't complain. Amazing battery life. :)

23. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I love my 6 Plus still. And I also love not blowing money on unnecessary phone upgrades.

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I received my 8 Plus yesterday after using the 6S for 2 years and a very brief 23 hours with a Samsung Galaxy S8 on Wednesday.

I’m very impressed with the pressure sensitive Home button on the 8 (I guess the 7 has it too). I wish my new iPad Pro 9.7” had that as well. It feels so much nicer to use and its probably less likely to ever break or malfunction compared to the older Home buttons.

The battery life on the 8 Plus is quite good too. I’m impressed with it for as much as I’m playing around with it with the past day and half.

With the glass back it’s awfully slippery to be sure. As usual for me, I put the basic Apple leather case on it and all is good.

25. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

I really like the glass back design but ultimately I wanted 128gb or better of storage and decided 949 was just too rich for my tastes. Possibly next year if they shave a bit off the price or offer it in a reduced 128gb option for significantly cheaper - depending on what they do with the 2018 iphones...