A thread for those who actually love the iPhone 8/8+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4ppleg1rl, Sep 26, 2017.

1. 4ppleg1rl thread starter Suspended

It’s so handy! I use it all the time!

2. martin2345uk macrumors regular

martin2345uk

Swapped by 8 for an 8 plus today. First impressions are highly positive! Gorgeous device, got the silver (or let’s face it, white!)

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

The X isn’t an option for me because I prefer to go for more tried and tested technology. It’s partly why I got the 6 and not the 6 Plus; the Plus at the time had flaws, such as a underpowered GPU and RAM for its display and a very loud vibe motor.

Sure, the X is a stunning and exciting phone, but it’s too expensive and too risky for me. I have doubts about OLED still (burn-in, PenTile layout, colour fade etc) and hope for Micro LED or bezeless LCD as alternatives in the future. Face ID looks great, but it’s a dramatic departure from my much-loved Touch ID and I want to wait until it is out in the wild and improved upon.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I’m not keen on the X because it’s the same width as the 4.7-inch models and so it will have the smaller keyboard. Fixed aspect content (photos and videos) will actually be smaller when letterboxed on the X compared to the Plus.

And like I said, it’s too expensive for me. I’m going to wait until the X’s technology trickles down to the main line-up. I might jump on a Plus model when it gets the next-generation tech. That’ll be the phone for me. Until then, I’m delighted with my 8 Plus.

4. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I got an 8+ about three hours ago. Initial impressions are wow definitely a nice device. I am like you on the tried and true as I have tried to get the 2017 MacBook Pro from the 2015 and preferred the 2015 design to the 2017. It’s been a few years since I’ve had a plus and it is definitely a big phone but I am growing to appreciate the size. I could notice that I was getting some sort of strain on the eyes from the reg 7 I was using. I use the phones so much during my day that the bigger screen and more ram will hopefully make a difference. Appreciate your explanations!

5. malikkamran macrumors 6502

malikkamran

Can anyone tell battery life of regular iPhone 8 as I have iPhone 7 should I get iPhone 8 still on fence

6. martin2345uk macrumors regular

martin2345uk

It’s about the same as the 7.

7. Burky84 macrumors newbie

I went from a iPhone 7 which I could stretch out an get about 6 hours 40 min of usage with about 5% battery left to a 8 plus an yesterday I went 10 hrs plus with 10% left

8. malikkamran macrumors 6502

malikkamran

Thanks

9. the caveman macrumors 6502

Love my new 8 plus however, i just discovered the dumbest thing ever, the new control center doesn’t actually turn off wifi or Bluetooth it just disconnects, which is the most moronic thing ever. Apple needs to change that real quick

10. martin2345uk macrumors regular

martin2345uk

There’s been a couple of threads on that... some people quite like it. I’m in two minds. I do like the wifi behaviour as often my phone picks up faint signals when I’m out and about so it’s nice to be able to quickly disconnect them but knowing it’ll revert to my home wifi when I get home.

11. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Had the iPhone 8 for a week, loved it so much switched to the 8+.

12. digitalexplr macrumors regular

digitalexplr

Beginning to wonder if this battery will ever run out!

Usage - 5hr 12min
    Standby - 41hrs 12min
    Battery left 51%

13. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I kept wondering why my phone kept reconnecting when I got in my truck!

14. PBz macrumors 65816

PBz

You know you can long-press emoji key for ‘side’ keyboard right?

15. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I legit never has a plus before. Thanks for the tip

16. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Link to the back film protector?

17. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

Upgrading from a 6 Plus to an 8 Plus, oh yeah I love it! :)
    LOT of new little features on this - for me personally (Camera, Live Photos, 4K, etc) that made the upgrade totally worth it, tack on the speed of this phone compared to 2014...wow!

18. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I understand . . . my current phone is the 6S Plus.

19. Bee1776 macrumors newbie

Bee1776

I like the8+ too. Went from 6s+. Love the camera with the zoom and portrait. Bonus - the free classes at the Apple store. Took the photo walk class today and worked on Live Photo’s and effects too. Can’t wait to try videos too. Got a clear case since the space gray is so classy, IMHO.

20. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I went from an iPhone 6 to the 8+ and I’m loving the bigger screen size!

21. staggerlee41 macrumors regular

staggerlee41

I think long term, I'm going to like that feature too. At this point, just a matter of re-learning what it actually does.

22. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

as of this moment in time, I feel the iphone 8 plus is the best phone ever released. I don't think that will change when iphone X comes out. I just feel that a proper 16:9 1080P display on the 8 Plus is the most sensible and functional screen for an iPhone. I'm also amazed how far LCD technology has progressed since the 6 series. I don't love the bezels but at the same time, landscape mode is much easier to hold.

23. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

You guys are killing me.

I have a 6S+. I was thinking about just getting a 7+ second hand and waiting for the next version of the X because I want that OLED screen and smaller form factor. But the 8+ sounds so amazing.

24. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Loving the 8+ so far. I’m going to let the X turmoil unfold and keep this one so I can be on time for the next sep release if I choose to do so.

25. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I love my iPhone 8+. I love my note 8, but I am selling it (got it with the note 7 promo, so for a profit) because I want a secure, unlocked phone. I am done being tied to carriers.

Even if the above didn’t exclude the note 8, I would consider the iPhone superior for its constant updates....though I can’t blame anyone for picking the note 8.

I have decided to stray from Apples first gen/new tech jumps, high priced items. The iPhone 6, iPad 3, iPad Pro 9.7, MBP retina, 2106 MBPtb. All these products were either overly expensive, underpowered and thus quickly hamstrung, or both.

The next gen product always fixes these problems. I don’t expect the iPhone X to be different. But even if it’s the best product ever, on the Apple Upgrade Program it is ~$1500 for the equivalent 256gb model compared to ~1175 for the 8+. If you trade it in in a year, you spend about $750 compared to $600. But that is money lost, period. If you keep the phone for two years, that is $300....almost a Apple Watch 3. At risk of a tangent, the monthly view of financial health/payments is part of what gets many people into trouble. Credit card debt, mortgage, etc. it’s easy to justify a single higher-than-normal payment, when viewed in a vacuum. But that kind of thinking, when applied to general fiscal strategy, leads to trouble. When one stretches themselves too thin on too many things, then you are just one disaster away from financial problems. I am not taking to everyone. This is a personal view.

Anyway, back to phones. The iPhone 8+ offers a great screen. My note 8 has the wow factor, but the iPhone 8 has the true colors and is easier on the eyes. I assume the iPhone x will be like the note 8, with some differences. The iPhone X offers a slightly better camera, but I don’t see this as a huge deal. The shrunken bezels are nice, but only in comparison with the phones next to each other.

The iPhone 8 plus is an outstanding phone. The X will be too, but it’s overpriced and rumored to
    be highly unavailable. I’ll take advantage of the new iPhone form factor next generation.