Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiffany Ring or a Claddagh Ring + Welsh Love Spoon and let her choose ring?

• Purchase and Propose with a Tiffany Ring

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Propose with a Claddagh Ring and Carve a Welsh Love Spoon THEN let her Choose Ring

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
Eanair, she does know that engagement is coming, but she doesn't expect it that soon.

Ahh, then it might be a tad more difficult for you to be like, "Hey, what rings do you like?"

Does she have other rings? Can you get a look at them?

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Let me tell you from someone who just bought an engagement ring last October... Dont buy Tiffanys. Its not that they dont have nice stuff, but they do charge a premium for nothing. Nothing at all but a fancy store. Given equal ratings, a diamond is a diamond is a diamond. They all come from the same place (the earth), and as long as you get a GIA certificate it doesnt matter. Its not at all like anything else you buy. Higher end stores just mean a fancier environment to shop in. Granted go somewhere you trust, but there are thousands of shops, local and national, that will be great.

No matter how much she loves Tiffanys, I can PROMISE you she will like a (for example) 2 carat VS2 F that you bought from a mom and pop place for the same price as you could have had a 1.2 carat VS2 G at Tiffanys. Trust me here. I didnt want to get into the size wars lol, but there is a certain bit of pride, like it or not, when all her girlfriends are leaning over her ring. We arent shallow people, but there is something about that sparkly rock that lives deep inside women and men haha.

The key is doing your own research, so YOU know what your getting. There are some good online shops (bluenile.com is very reputable, fantastic prices/value) but you do need to look in person at brick and mortar to SEE what a VS1 looks like compared to a VVS2, or how much bigger a 1.5 carat is vs a 1.4, etc.

My advice - dont look at size first. First determine a budget YOU can afford. Dont go into debt over a tradition. No size ring can save a marriage stressed with money problems. Second go to a store and compare colors, cuts, clarities. Then set a floor for how low you are willing to go in each of the first three "Cs" (color, cut, clarity). Lastly, go for the biggest carat that doesnt drop below your other C criteria and still falls below your budget. Other than the budget, you may change you priorities in the other Cs depending on what your looking for.

Another few tips, not to be a blue nile spokesman lol. Number one, you dont pay sales tax (most states). Number two Free shipping (not that thats a big deal on this). Number three, you see the GIA cert before you buy. And lastly, if you have a discover card, link though discovers website (shopdiscover) and you get 5% cash back which is a good chunk of change. Oh, and if you get them to mail you a ring sizer, they will mail it to you free with a coupon code for $100 more off.

I ended up with a ring that was .1 bigger, 2 better color grades (a colorless D), and all other specs equal, for $1200 less than the local shops, plus all the above discounts.

We ended up getting our wedding bands there as well. Super nice on the phone, you speak to a live american person. I somehow kept ordering the wrong ring size (for me) and they paid shipping both ways. Not only that but the price of platinum was dropping at the time so out of three exchanges they credited the difference in price each time - about $180 less by time we were done lol.

Okay, so I am off my soap box. Point is (if you read this far) the name means nothing in the diamond world - the specs on that GIA cert tell 99% of the story. (the other 1% is that intangible difference in cuts, even if they are all rated as "brilliant") Going to Tiffany just means you paid more for literally the same exact (or worse dollar for dollar) thing.

Another side note - go platinum. I was back and forth but at the end of the day its stronger, doesnt wear down like gold (it will dull out like gold, but none of the metal will flake off nor is there any coatings like white gold), and it has a nice heavy quality to it that gold cant touch. My opinion fwiw.

And on a less technical side - congrats! As for picking it out, I agree with the above, if you have no clue, befriend her best friend (but not all her friends - loose lips sink ships lol) or sister. Also think about a personal way to propose and enjoy every minute of it. It really is a blast and my fiance and I had the weekend of our lives. Popping the question just so happened to fall on our planned trip to Napa Valley. It was a no brainer - not hard to find a good backdrop there :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Just go into Tiffany's and tell them you want to get your girlfriend a ring but you're not sure what kind.

Then ask if you can just get a gift certificate.

Honestly IMO glamorous diamond rings are a dumb tradition that doesn't date back very far... I'm not saying to not get her anything at all... but depending on how much you're going to spend you might keep it for a down payment on a house or car. Also you might browse around this forum -> http://www.diamondring.com/forums/ I looked through it heavily many years back when I was looking.

Of course, you could always just hire a hypnotist and ask her while she's under.

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
Honestly IMO glamorous diamond rings are a dumb tradition that doesn't date back very far... I'm not saying to not get her anything at all... but depending on how much you're going to spend you might keep it for a down payment on a house or car.

That's what I said to my BF.

I rather save those thousands of dollars and buy a house.

:)

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
The little blue box is uniquely Tiffany & Co., however, if you have really made an investment they will not give it to you. Rather you get a royal blue velvet box.

Actually, you still get the Tiffany Blue box, the Royal Blue Velvet ring holder goes inside it, so you get both.

@OP
You need to find out the basic style of diamond that she likes (round, oval, diamond, pear etc.) as well as size - just because you can afford a 5 Karat, doesn't mean she wants to wear it.
Harder than that is to notice the particular diamond mountings that she prefers (Solitaire, Semi, Modern, Antique etc.). Look at enough and you'll be able to narrow it down.
As you said, Tiffany's has a more specific design than most jewelers so after you do your research, pop into Tiffany's and ask for similar setups. They'll show you everything they have that comes close.
If you think you've found something good excellent. If not, ask if you can take some pics and then show them to your GF later not telling them their from Tiffany's. Get more feedback from her and then make a decision.

I agree with others that Tiffany's can be expensive, but their workmanship and product quality is top notch. Also, if you ever decide to upgrade to a more expensive Tiffany's ring (even if it's a few hundred dollars more), they'll accept the old one for the full price you paid and put it towards the new ring no matter old it is. That's something that few other jewelers would ever consider doing 1, 5, 10 or 15 years down the road.

Best of luck finding that perfect engagement ring.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
By request, the default is anything that is in the top 10% gets the dark blue box. :D

I didn't request anything and I'm pretty sure I wasn't in the top 10% percent and they gave me both. Maybe it depends on the each store and it's staff.:p

vvvvvEDITvvvvvv: I guess I picked out the right ring then. ;)

EDIT2: Asked my wife, and she remembers getting the velvet box and then she requested the Tifanny Blue one as well. Seems you were right golden.:)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd recommend asking some of the rich people that you hang out with for the phone number to their jewelry wholesaler. Personally, I would never buy jewelry retail.

I bought my wife's engagement ring from a wholesaler (as well as her eternity band, my platinum wedding band, my white gold custom designed [by me] necklace, and a bracelet for my wife). The wholesaler (husband and wife) are an old friend my uncle's, and the only way to buy from them is to know someone who can refer you for an appointment. They import diamonds, etc, and makes jewelry for jewelry stores.

It was a pretty interesting experience. The shop was in an older building in downtown Toronto. You needed to be buzzed into the building, buzzed into a corridor, and then finally buzzed into the office. Cameras everywhere. Once inside, it looked like a normal jewelry store. Some of the most amazing jewelry I have ever seen.

When I picked out the main diamond for her ring, it was from a binder full of pages of diamonds. The wife flipped through it like it was a magazine until she found the right size, quality, clarity, etc that she thought I would want. She told me that the binder was worth around $10 million- it was a pretty interesting experience when I was holding it. And they had many, many binders, and who knows how much else in the giant walk-in safe.

It was a great experience because I was able to build the ring from the diamond out (She always wanted diamonds all the way around the band, so that's what she got). I knew the style that she wanted (see, the trick is to casually go into jewelry stores with your girlfriend and let her show you what she likes).

The best part is the incredible discount you end up with. From wholesale to retail, jewelry is heavily marked up. I ended up paying around 2.4 times less than retail price, so I was able to get her an even better ring than what I would have got at Birks or Tiffany's or wherever. Plus, no tax. I paid in cash.

So, as I said, find a wholesaler.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Don't listen to the naysayers.

When I was in your situation, I did buy a decent Tiffany's ring and I have no regrets. You get a GIA certificate and a nice binder with all the documentation. As a bonus, you get free cleanings on your ring at any Tiffany's. No more wondering if some unscrupulous jeweler is going to swap out your diamond on a cleaning.

BTW, I saved over $1300 by flying to Oregon and not paying tax even after the cost of airfare, rental car, etc. There is a Tiffany's about 30 minutes from the airport and they have a lot of clientele that come in out of state. Call ahead and find out what they have in their inventory.

Make sure you save another $4000-$5000 to get the matching "eternity" wedding band.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Eanair, she does know that engagement is coming, but she doesn't expect it that soon.

.jessica, how young are you? I'm intrigued.
It's jessica. and I am really not that young. ;)

She is obviously materialistic if you have to buy a name brand over-priced ring. Lets not fool ourselves here.

Did you read any of the postings? I mean, any of them at all?

xbuddycorex, with respect to venturing outside Tiffany's I agree. My focus was on Tiffany's because you seem to value them. There should be no question as to whether or not you're going to pay for the Tiffany name as we pay for the Apple name for the most part. I don't feel as though you should not go to Tiffany's if that is what you truly want. However, take the advice of others.

I worked with a girl who wanted the antique look with classic baguette diamonds that surrounded her princess cut solitaire. It was timeless, the antique look. I actually found the ring to be stunning and while in the shop I asked the jeweler to put a couple of sapphires in the set just to see what it looked like and it was amazing. I've never been the girl to wish for a ring but if I had to buy one, that'd be what I'd get. My point being, is you have some say over your ring.

If you're in OC do not discount Jewelry Exchange off the 55 freeway near Edinger. They have some amazing jewelers there, great diamonds, and a fraction of the cost. You may find your wedding band there yourself.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Don't listen to the naysayers.

When I was in your situation, I did buy a decent Tiffany's ring and I have no regrets. You get a GIA certificate and a nice binder with all the documentation. As a bonus, you get free cleanings on your ring at any Tiffany's. No more wondering if some unscrupulous jeweler is going to swap out your diamond on a cleaning.

BTW, I saved over $1300 by flying to Oregon and not paying tax even after the cost of airfare, rental car, etc. There is a Tiffany's about 30 minutes from the airport and they have a lot of clientele that come in out of state. Call ahead and find out what they have in their inventory.

Make sure you save another $4000-$5000 to get the matching "eternity" wedding band.

I got a GIA certificate and all associated documentation. Otherwise I couldn't insure it.

We have our own jewelry cleaner at home.

I saved more than 10 times the amount that you saved.

The jeweler I went to could make anything I wanted- if I would have brought in a picture of a Tiffany's ring, he would have made it for me out of the finest materials and for a fraction of the price.

I'm not saying that you should have any regrets, but there are other options available that gets you the same thing at a lower cost.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I got a GIA certificate and all associated documentation. Otherwise I couldn't insure it.

We have our own jewelry cleaner at home.

I saved more than 10 times the amount that you saved.

The jeweler I went to could make anything I wanted- if I would have brought in a picture of a Tiffany's ring, he would have made it for me out of the finest materials and for a fraction of the price.

I'm not saying that you should have any regrets, but there are other options available that gets you the same thing at a lower cost.
I just got off the phone with my father, he said the general rule of thumb is:
Pawn Shops you pay twice what they pay
Local Stores you pay three times
Name Brand you pay five times

Also, I'm sure that you know some people that have gone through this process, asking around can help to find a more local one. To say Tiffany's is a bad choice is incorrect, it's not like they make junk - there are better options though.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I just got off the phone with my father, he said the general rule of thumb is:
Pawn Shops you pay twice what they pay
Local Stores you pay three times
Name Brand you pay five times

Also, I'm sure that you know some people that have gone through this process, asking around can help to find a more local one. To say Tiffany's is a bad choice is incorrect, it's not like they make junk - there are better options though.

I didn't say that Tiffany's is a bad choice. I'm just saying that there are better choices available. If he decides to buy from Tiffany's, and is happy with his purchase, then that's all that matters. It doesn't matter what anyone else says.

When I said I saved more than ten times what he saved, I was referring to the amount I spent versus the amount I would have spent if I would have bought from a retail jeweler. He said that he saved around $1300. I ended up saving more than 10 times that (not including tax on the whole price- which was around 13% at that time) by buying the ring wholesale.

The basic rule of thumb is, that on average, retail price is 2.4 times higher than wholesale (at least in Toronto). I could agree with your father's information though. I'm sure places like Tiffany's is closer to 4-5 times higher. You pay for the name, the materials aren't magically more special.

For example......
I referred a friend to my wholesaler so that he could buy a diamond tennis bracelet for his wife. At Tiffany's, the bracelet was in the $50,000 range. At the wholesaler, for the same quality diamonds and white gold, it was in the $15,000 range. They were both incredibly happy with the purchase.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Congrats and good luck! Make sure it isn't a blood diamond, that can add even more meaning. :D I think you can ask for a Lindsay Certification (not sure if that is the name) that proves it was at least traded in a legal and honorable manner.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
I think you should take her out to dinner and while you are waiting walk to a very nice shop with pretty wedding rings. Ask her what she thinks of them and then after dinner buy the one that she said she likes (make sure you look at the majority of the rings.) Not really what you were asking, oh well.
Example:
you: "Those are some mighty pretty rings. *Point to one that is fabulous.*
Girl friend: "ooo I like this one over there."
you: *walk inside and look for a veeeery pretty ring and comment about it.* :cool:

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I think you should take her out to dinner and while you are waiting walk to a very nice shop with pretty wedding rings. Ask her what she thinks of them and then after dinner buy the one that she said she likes (make sure you look at the majority of the rings.) Not really what you were asking, oh well.
Example:
you: "Those are some mighty pretty rings. *Point to one that is fabulous.*
Girl friend: "ooo I like this one over there."
you: *walk inside and look for a veeeery pretty ring and comment about it.* :cool:

This one is good... I did that when we went to New York Tiffany's store, but I had a ring in my pocket already, I just wanted to find out if I should get a refund and buy her a different ring. :D Turns out, the ring I have already is similar to the one she likes in the store (I know a jeweler and had it custom made), I just shrug it off and said it's too expensive at the time. I proposed the next day. :D:)

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I would start by getting her to look at maybe some celebrity rings. Find out what style setting she likes, ie micro pave (which is hot right now), or more traditional. Does she like a solitaire or maybe a 3 stone? See if you cant get her to comment on some celebrity rings.

Also, check out pricescope for their online tutorials and advice forums. They have all sorts of educational videos, articles and stuff.

Good luck to your both. May God bless.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Alright, first of all thank you for all the input... I appreciate the insight.

Just so you guys know, I am not rich nor do I have rich friends. I simply mentioned my comfort around rich people and businesses to juxtapose my uneasiness with walking into a Tiffany & Co. There's just something about that place that is very intimidating.

Finally, I appreciate those who judge my girlfriend saying she is materialistic, I'm sure you know much better than I do. The best way I can describe it is if you know someone would be stoked if you gave them $50 and that they would be incredibly appreciative, doesn't it make you want to do something nicer for them? While I know she would be happy with a ring pop, I want her friends to swoon over her and make her feel like a princess... and I offer no apologies for that desire.

Thanks again for all the positive input.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I presume in local stores you'll also be able to negotiate on the price - though I doubt you can at Tiffany's.

EDIT: I don't expect thegoldenmackid to answer this one ;). Even if he denies it you probably can still negotiate (though it may depend on the store) but you'll have to have a price that you're willing to pay that is less than what they are charging (but that is still sensible) otherwise there is no point.

EDIT 2: Its amazing how much ******** people will say when they are negotiating to deny that they are negotiating with you. I got a 50% "student discount" (and I worked a bit more off) on a souvenir statue.

juxtapose my uneasiness with walking into a Tiffany & Co.

Just don't worry about it ;).

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I love the title of this thread. If its a question, my answer is no. It doesn't sound like you have the money to afford (realistically) a Tiffanys ring, so don't buy one.

After this a wedding ring needs to be bought, wedding will need to be paid for, a honeymoon, moving in together.

Trying to be a little realistic. Friend just bought a Tiffanys engagement ring and it was 15k.

Plus it sets up a lot of future expectations I wouldn't want to have to live up to.

However take my advice with a grain of salt, I have been dating the same girl for nearly 8 years.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I presume in local stores you'll also be able to negotiate on the price - though I doubt you can at Tiffany's.

EDIT: I don't expect thegoldenmackid to answer this one ;). Even if he denies it you probably can still negotiate (though it may depend on the store) but you'll have to have a price that you're willing to pay that is less than what they are charging (but that is still sensible) otherwise there is no point.
Thanks for the invitation. Sales are negotiable always at local stores, repairs it depends. My dad doesn't do it because when he replaces a watch battery he charges the same price depending on the battery, there are two types. If he gives a discount to you, then everyone wants one, word spreads, etc... So it's a flat rate, if you don't like the price, go somewherelse. With sales it's different, especially because he does with estate and custom pieces. Never will he have two of the exact same things (maybe diamonds, but they aren't really dealing a whole lot of those). So he can knock off a bit here and there, because he doesn't have to worry about another customer coming in and asking for the same discount on the same ring/watch/etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.