Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiffany Ring or a Claddagh Ring + Welsh Love Spoon and let her choose ring?

• Purchase and Propose with a Tiffany Ring

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Propose with a Claddagh Ring and Carve a Welsh Love Spoon THEN let her Choose Ring

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
Ahh Tiffany, don't get me started. From one recently engaged successful guy to another soon to be engaged, Tiffany is outlandishly overpriced and their diamond quality can at times leave something to be desired. She'll love what you get her, and a diamond that looks great will look great no matter where you got it from.

Tip one: learn the four C's. Use them, I can't tell you how many outstandingly overpriced rings I've seen in stores because of the diamond not being up to snuff (only after I asked to see the GIA cert.). I recommend selecting the diamond and the setting separate and having it set. That's what I did, and I was able to get the right diamond an the right setting without having to compromise on either, and I didn't have to spend nearly as much.

Another fun fact, all diamonds look awesome under jewelry store lights. But the truly great diamonds (whose four C's match up to a higher grade) will look great outside of their lights, while lesser diamonds will be, how should I say... lesser. They might appear clear and colorless in the store, but in regular light show a slight yellow tint. Some people prefer to ask the jeweler to let them see the diamonds in natural light, I'm sure they'll do this.

Just my two cents, and I have a ton more. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Alright, first of all thank you for all the input... I appreciate the insight.

Just so you guys know, I am not rich nor do I have rich friends. I simply mentioned my comfort around rich people and businesses to juxtapose my uneasiness with walking into a Tiffany & Co. There's just something about that place that is very intimidating.

Finally, I appreciate those who judge my girlfriend saying she is materialistic, I'm sure you know much better than I do. The best way I can describe it is if you know someone would be stoked if you gave them $50 and that they would be incredibly appreciative, doesn't it make you want to do something nicer for them? While I know she would be happy with a ring pop, I want her friends to swoon over her and make her feel like a princess... and I offer no apologies for that desire.

Thanks again for all the positive input.
I want a ring pop, grape please.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Friend just bought a Tiffanys engagement ring and it was 15k.

Plus it sets up a lot of future expectations I wouldn't want to have to live up to.

However take my advice with a grain of salt, I have been dating the same girl for nearly 8 years.

Wow, that's really cheap for Tiffany's ring. I didn't know that they sold rings that inexpensive.

What kind of future expectations? Showing that you have the ability to provide? That is part of the symbolism of buying an engagement ring.

8 years! I haven't known my wife that long! I hope you're still really young (like you've been dating since you were 12), otherwise I'd bet she's not a happy camper.

xbuddycorex, don't listen to anyone who implies that your girlfriend is materialistic. My wife is not materialistic, but I knew it would make her happy to have a beautiful ring- something that she had been dreaming of since she was a little girl. She is proud to have it, and even with the other jewelry she has, it is her favorite piece. My wife would have been fine with a Ring-Pop as well- it wasn't about the ring, it was about us.

If Tiffany's makes you feel uncomfortable in their store, they don't deserve your money.

I know that you pretty much dismissed my suggestion, and fair enough, but if I were you, I'd at least ask around to see if you could access a wholesaler. Ask your parents, or their friends (or anyone that you know that has really nice jewelry) if they know someone. Chances are, they might. If you could get more for your money (a larger rock, for example), why not try?

It was an exhilarating experience buying the engagement ring...... it was the larger amount of money I had spent at once up to that point in time. Enjoy it.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I got my wife a 1960s white gold and diamond ring from and antique jewellers. It was a hell of a lot nicer than a new ring and a fraction of the cost, which was nice as I was unemployed at the time. :eek:

Our wedding rings are titanium with gold, also inexpensive. We're not really ones for blowing cash on the less important things (we did consider not having rings at all)

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
If I were to use a computer analogy here:

Buying a Tiffany's ring is like buying a Mac. You know you are getting style, class, service and since Apple largely controls the price, you have peace of mind that you aren't getting ripped off with a piece of crap.

Buying from a local jeweler is like buying from a small PC shop. You don't know if you're getting ripped, you don't know if they are going to be around next month, and your future spouse may suspect you got the ring on the cheap.

Let the flaming begin! :D

In the end, your spouse is going to show her engagement ring to all her friends and family. Nothing wrong with making sure she feels proud about it.

It's funny how people who will defend to the death their decision to "overpay" for a Mac, can't understand that the OP just wants to treat his lady special. If he's got the money, let him do with it what makes him happy.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Why could I never find a woman like you? :D

Some of us got lucky. Neither my girlfriend nor I want to get married, but if we did, she'd probably outright refuse if I bought her any jewelry. She doesn't like the idea of marriage, but doesn't like what rings symbolize even more.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
15k for a ring does seem a little too much for a ring, but if its going to make the wifey happy...

I just don't understand the need to spend that much money on something that, mainly, is supposed to be symbolic.

It would mean a whole lot more for me if a guy proposed with my favorite flower, for example...

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
It's funny how people who will defend to the death their decision to "overpay" for a Mac, can't understand that the OP just wants to treat his lady special. If he's got the money, let him do with it what makes him happy.

Well, a Mac actually has tangible differences that make it better than a Windows PC other than the name stamped on it.

Tiffany's is outrageously overpriced and should really only be purchased if you want the name on your jewelry. I've purchased at Tiffany's once before for my girlfriend as a surprise, solely because the blue box and the name; in reality for the amount I spent I could have easily found something of higher quality at another, non-name brand jewelry establishment. Did it make her happy? Yes. Does she have something that says Tiffany's on it? Yes. Would I ever purchase an engagement ring there? No, because I can get something of higher quality (with a bigger diamond) elsewhere for substantially cheaper.

Even if I were going to drop $40,000 on a ring I probably wouldn't go to Tiffany's. There are plenty of places out here (hell I saw a nice $42,000 ring at Costco a few weeks back) that are very reputable (Jewelry Exchange has been mentioned, Robbins Brothers, etc), have been around for years, and will give you much better value for that money.

In the end, your spouse is going to show her engagement ring to all her friends and family. Nothing wrong with making sure she feels proud about it.

Honestly, if my future spouse couldn't be proud of whatever ring I could afford to get her, I'd probably break off the engagement. An engagement ring isn't about how big the diamond is or what name is stamped on it...

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Even if I were going to drop $40,000 on a ring I probably wouldn't go to Tiffany's. There are plenty of places out here (hell I saw a nice $42,000 ring at Costco a few weeks back) that are very reputable (Jewelry Exchange has been mentioned, Robbins Brothers, etc), have been around for years, and will give you much better value for that money.
Robbins Brothers is really no better.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
Robbins Brothers is really no better.

Eh, maybe not now days, I haven't been in one for a while. Our local one used to have some decent deals, but I probably wouldn't shop there now that they've filed Chapter 11, although there might be some better deals.

Personally, I'd probably go local or custom anyways, but that's not happening for a long while.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Well, a Mac actually has tangible differences that make it better than a Windows PC other than the name stamped on it.

Tell that to the Hackintosh crowd. One could argue that the internal guts of the computers are largely the same. So you are paying some for the brand, the style, the service. . . just like Tiffany's.

Honestly, if my future spouse couldn't be proud of whatever ring I could afford to get her, I'd probably break off the engagement. An engagement ring isn't about how big the diamond is or what name is stamped on it...

Read it again. Never said that she wouldn't be proud. Just guaranteeing that she will be proud. :p

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Tell that to the Hackintosh crowd. One could argue that the internal guts of the computers are largely the same. So you are paying some for the brand, the style, the service. . . just like Tiffany's.

I know a guy who used a Hackintosh. He's very happy with an iMac now. Too much maintenance involved with keeping a Macintosh, there is actually a lot of stuff that might not work for no apparent reason.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Wow, that's really cheap for Tiffany's ring. I didn't know that they sold rings that inexpensive.

What kind of future expectations? Showing that you have the ability to provide? That is part of the symbolism of buying an engagement ring.

8 years! I haven't known my wife that long! I hope you're still really young (like you've been dating since you were 12), otherwise I'd bet she's not a happy camper.

I have asked regarding engagement rings at Tiffanys and was told the average is around 12-15k from the sales people. Just a solitaire setting though, nothing crazier than that.

As far as future expectations, that would be the expectation of getting something from Tiffanys all the time and something that expensive. I don't correlate the ability to spend a lot of money on a ring with my ability to provide. In fact I think here being frugal would be more indicative of having a stable relationship, both between you and your fiance and your financial relationship. Nobody needs a 15k engagement ring.

We have been dating for 8 years and are very happy. I would like to take that bet up with you, otherwise she would have left years ago. What would you like to bet?

End of my rant.

To the OP, buy what you want, but please realize you don't have to go top of the line. Just asking her to marry you shows more about your relationship than any amount of money you could spend on a ring.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
As far as future expectations, that would be the expectation of getting something from Tiffanys all the time and something that expensive. I don't correlate the ability to spend a lot of money on a ring with my ability to provide. In fact I think here being frugal would be more indicative of having a stable relationship, both between you and your fiance and your financial relationship. Nobody needs a 15k engagement ring.

Everything is relative. If you don't have much money, then get your spouse something appropriate to your budget. If you do have the money, then go ahead and spend it how you see fit. Hell, I spend $25,000 every year on computers for myself. It would be embarrassing if I cheaped out on my wife with cheap presents.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Everything is relative. If you don't have much money, then get your spouse something appropriate to your budget. If you do have the money, then go ahead and spend it how you see fit. Hell, I spend $25,000 every year on computers for myself. It would be embarrassing if I cheaped out on my wife with cheap presents.

You missed the point. OP doesn't have alot of money laying around.

The symbolism of getting engaged is the fact that you are asking her to be yours forever, its not in the ring or how much you spent. People get caught up in the amount they spend correlating to how much they love the person.

Keep that in mind and don't go over your budget.

Thats all I am saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.