Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I love Apple products and I own a lot of them but you know what?
Sometimes I hate Tim Cook hypocrisy. He wants to look like the best human being in the world bud indeed his life is dedicated to a company who makes unbelievable profits and I really don't believe the tale about he treats everyone in a fair way unless some day what happens inside will become totally transparent.
About the fact of being only a company man, don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about gaining a lot of money in change of something else, it's a matter of personal choices...I just hate the hypocrisy that wants us to believe : "The good guy has fallen from the sky to help us all ".
Just that.
I hate that fake warmth when he greets everybody at the keynotes.
I don't know much about Steve but I can only say that I considered fair the fact that we didn't want to look like a nice man but only a good CEO committed to the products he wanted us to buy.

When did Tim Cook ever act like he was a gift from above?

Also, I doubt you want him to be rude during a keynote.

Seriously, this comes across as a hilarious complaint without much real basis.

Sinjun

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
Apple doesn't own any factories in Asia. Once you accept that fact, you might be able to move ahead, mentally.

They own them in all but name. You're trying to mount a defense based on semantics. As long as they employ Foxconn and employ wage slaves, the point stands.

Sinjun

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
I love Apple products and I own a lot of them but you know what?
Sometimes I hate Tim Cook hypocrisy. He wants to look like the best human being in the world bud indeed his life is dedicated to a company who makes unbelievable profits and I really don't believe the tale about he treats everyone in a fair way unless some day what happens inside will become totally transparent.
About the fact of being only a company man, don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about gaining a lot of money in change of something else, it's a matter of personal choices...I just hate the hypocrisy that wants us to believe : "The good guy has fallen from the sky to help us all ".
Just that.
I hate that fake warmth when he greets everybody at the keynotes.
I don't know much about Steve but I can only say that I considered fair the fact that we didn't want to look like a nice man but only a good CEO committed to the products he wanted us to buy.

Jobs was a dishonest ****, even more so than Cook. If you watch The Man in the Machine he even says at one point "I want to delight people who work for me", while at the same time completely locking out ex-employees from ever working in SC again. He was a brilliant businessman but a scumbag of a person. Also, before anyone tries it, "You have to be that way to be successful!" is not a defense.

Sinjun

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
So you agree: They don't own any factories in Asia. Thanks for confirming.

How is that at all relevant to the topic? No one was ever debating whether they actually own the factories, just that they hire the people who work there. I called them Apple factories because that's what they effectively are.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Before we call them wage slaves, we should probably agree on whether or not they are.
Completely agree. Some ignorant hypocrites think that everyone should get American salary. They have absolutely no idea about the reality in different countries, what is the alternative for these workers.. Unfortunately, they just love to read opportunistic media reports (click baits) and show that they are big thinkers.

Reactions: bobob

Sinjun

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
Before we call them wage slaves, we should probably agree on whether or not they are.

$3/h or $500 a month working 8hrs. a day 5 days a week is wage slavery by my definition, yeah. Plenty would probably disagree. I've done shoots in factories and people who do those jobs deserve so much more than that. Apple could easily force Foxconn to change by offering just a little bit more, and it wouldn't put a ****ing dent in their profits. It wouldn't really put much of a dent in any of the big companies profits for that matter.

Sinjun

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
They don't hire the people that work there. The factories hire the people that work there.

How many more false statements are you planning to make in this thread?

You sure are doing a lot of mental gymnastics. Good for you.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
$3/h or $500 a month working 8hrs. a day 5 days a week is wage slavery by my definition, yeah. Plenty would probably disagree. I've done shoots in factories and people who do those jobs deserve so much more than that. Apple could easily force Foxconn to change by offering just a little bit more, and it wouldn't put a ****ing dent in their profits. It wouldn't really put much of a dent in any of the big companies profits for that matter.

It is all relative, really. I mean, Apple could afford to pay them 10 USD an hour on top of the supposed 3.9 they make. They could even afford to just give all Foxconn workers a free iPhone.

Anyway, it should be more than just a "If they don't make X amount" as a worldwide measure and should bne relative to a living wage.

Reactions: SHNXX

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How is that at all relevant to the topic? No one was ever debating whether they actually own the factories, just that they hire the people who work there. I called them Apple factories because that's what they effectively are.
Well, absolutely. A factory owned by Foxconn, with employees employed by Foxconn, making devices for HP, Dell, twenty other companies, and Apple, cannot be called anything other than an Apple factory. Results are for example when workers are in fear of losing their jobs because Microsoft Xbox production drops and threaten suicides, the news is "suicide threats at Apple factory".

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Throwing numbers like 17 cents per hour without context is pretty useless.
17 cents per hour might not be good for US workers, but it is the best option available for those migrant workers in Foxconn factories, and living costs are much lower for these workers than for Americans.
You are making the huge mistake of believing Sorkin's nonsense. 17 cents per hour is not "the best option available", it is totally out of reality. Salaries and cost of living are lower in China, but 17 cents per hour in China would be like McDonald's offering 50 cents an hour to a burger flipper in New York. Real salaries are 20 times higher.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013

Why don't you start a competitor phone company that pays people, who people a non-wage-slavery-salary with your own money instead of armchair criticizing others?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What do other companies have to do with the point Sorkin made? He was attacked by Cook and addressed this with a valid point. What about his point was childish? He answered with a fact - the fact that Apple exploits cheap labor (probably child labor as well in the past) for their own profits.

People can't even point out the facts without being attacked by Apple fanboys...
The whole point of this discussion is that Sorkin did answer with lies and not with facts.

Apple has never "exploited child labour" - Apple has for at least the last eight years done what they can to detect and punish violations of Chinese labour laws, and made companies pay compensation to victims.

And he claimed numbers for wages that are just absolutely totally ridiculous.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The whole point of this discussion is that Sorkin did answer with lies and not with facts.

Apple has never "exploited child labour" - Apple has for at least the last eight years done what they can to detect and punish violations of Chinese labour laws, and made companies pay compensation to victims.

And he claimed numbers for wages that are just absolutely totally ridiculous.

I think even this is missing why Sorkin's response is childish.

Sorkin responded to a criticism (being called an opportunist) with another criticism ("well you're an opportunist too!"). It's like a child responding to an insult by throwing the same insult back. It doesn't make the criticism wrong.

The fact that his response is pretty weak and arguably untrue is beside the point that it's just a childish response in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.