Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
That means that MacRumors is equally to blame for your baseless and illogical post.

Fact 1: those apps were working before.
Fact 2: the only thing that changed was the OS.

With those known two facts, I don't see how it is an app developers problem. Blame Apple.

Reactions: nt5672

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Whilst it obviously is Adobe's fault why would you possibly upgrade before seeing if the software you use, in this instance probably professionally, actually works?

Reactions: OriginalClone

NapoleonIV

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Same problem with Avid products. Presently, they say that they will start working on High Sierra compatibility AFTER releasing Sibelius 8.7. Given that the problems with Sibelius player have been known about since Sierra, there is really no excuse for this. It also completely undermines the subscription model.

Mannekepis

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
Been using Photoshop CS6 since Mavericks and was a bit concerned if it would still work after High Sierra install. But all is well and it has been performing good. So far.
Same here, everything works fine after installing old Java. InDesign & Illustrator CS6.
(Edit) Before, high Sierra , when quitting Illustrator, I got “unexpectedly quit” message. Now with HSierra installed, I get this message when quitting InDesign & Photoshop too. I was a fan of Aldus Freehand & Pagemaker, never liked Illustrator, was quite happy with InDesign, but I didn’t like the subscription model. If the apps (CS 6) deteriorate further I’ll try out new software developpers, and divorce Adobe.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Some developers just don't care. JBL, for example, has a "JBL Music" app that's needed to configure their L8 and L16 speakers. These are expensive speakers! Yet they didn't update the app for iOS 11 so people who upgraded and don't have an older device to fall back on can't configure their speakers anymore.

It's maddening; the beta period runs for months and you even TELL these companies their stuff is broken yet they don't fix it.

Most of these types of decisions are Management, not developers. JBL probably contracted for the original app, did not have a lot of users, and the original contractor probably priced the revisions too high for management.
[doublepost=1506721133][/doublepost]In all fairness to these companies, I can tell you why we don't do anything with Apple betas. Apple arbitrarily removes and adds features in the GM or release that are not in the betas. No warning, no reason, no strategy, they just do, and often without mentioning anything in the release notes.

For example with High Sierra, they removed the apple file systems from devices with fusion drives, which are all current iMacs. They did not wait to get it right, or apply pressure to get it right, or add resources to get it right, they just yanked it.

The reason developers don't take Apple upgrades seriously prior to release, is simply because Apple does not take developers seriously prior to release.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Fact 1: those apps were working before.
Fact 2: the only thing that changed was the OS.

With those known two facts, I don't see how it is an app developers problem. Blame Apple.
So can I blame Microsoft for Age of Mythology no longer booting since Windows 8? I've been looking for someone specific to blame beyond just the inexorable forward march of time...

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
Apple shares equal blame. They used to care about ensuring app compatibility with new releases. It's a shame, really.

I beta tested this version early on and this was by far the buggiest OS X release I've ever experienced. I hate Adobe but this is a substandard OS release also.
[doublepost=1506727579][/doublepost]
I suppose Adobe won't fix the CS6 version... this is the end. :(

This is a really a shame too. It was the last release of Adobe software I bought and it worked so well up until now. Why Apple feels the need to break apps I really don't know.

Reactions: weup togo

jonathanbruce

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Hastings, East Sussex, England
I'm going full circle now and have found what I used before Indesign and will contact them tomorrow about a competitive upgrade to using QuarkXpress2017 and no hefty subscription and can import all my Indesign work straight into it. I first started out with QuarkXpress decades ago. I'm just going to phone them tomorrow and see what they can offer.
Up yours Adobe!!!!

YegorH

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I, on the other hand, recommend users update to High Sierra and find some non-Adobe graphics software to use. Permanently. But that's just me.
I’d like to, but there is nothing else that comes close to InDesign. Don’t know about Illustrator, Photoshop or others, but no other desktop publishing application can match InDesign when it comes to advanced formatting and yes, I know about the existence of QuarkXPress :)

jonathanbruce

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
I’d like to, but there is nothing else that comes close to InDesign. Don’t know about Illustrator, Photoshop or others, but no other desktop publishing application can match InDesign when it comes to advanced formatting and yes, I know about the existence of QuarkXPress :)
Yes but most publishing companies have always used QuarkXpress in some kind of form, that I do know, I have seen them use it in the past.
I've found another competitor to Lightroom and Photoshop. Have a look at it!! I'm very tempted
Capture One Pro

Anything that's a damn site cheaper and better is good!!! In the long run especially. I have just finished backing up all my Adobe projects ready to migrate away, save money and actually own software that works without a Sub. :cool:. Definitely cheaper in the long term.

KaplanMike

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
Anyone recommend an illustrator alternative?
Uh, Freehand?
[doublepost=1506730084][/doublepost]
They can’t hire enough devs for the thousands paying $20 mo or the $60 a month for these apps. God they are just trash for a software company sometimes.
I read ***somewhere*** that Adobe doesn't start working on updates until software goes public because... well because they can get away with it. Grrrrrrr.

jonathanbruce

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
This is great fun.. We're all helping each other out here !! Woo Hoo.... Death to Adobe !! :p:p

I found this on google as alternatives to illustrator if any of these help
  • SVG-Edit. Platform: Any modern web browser. ...
  • Inkscape. Platform: Windows/Linux. ...
  • Affinity Designer. Platform: Mac. ...
  • GIMP. Platform: All of them. ...
  • OpenOffice Draw. Platform: Windows, Linux, Mac. ...
  • Serif DrawPlus (starter edition) Platform: Windows.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-30_1-7-54.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-30_1-7-54.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 60

Wash08

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Space
I, on the other hand, recommend users update to High Sierra and find some non-Adobe graphics software to use. Permanently. But that's just me.
I been using Adobe for 20+ years, but the last two have been horrid, their subscription-extortion just got out of hand, I dump them 2 month ago, I even paid the penalty to just to get out. I bought Affinity Designer, and Photo never looking back.

jonathanbruce

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Uh, Freehand?
[doublepost=1506730084][/doublepost]
I read ***somewhere*** that Adobe doesn't start working on updates until software goes public because... well because they can get away with it. Grrrrrrr.
Not any more !! I'm not having another £50+ taken out.. I'm cancelling !!
[doublepost=1506730422][/doublepost]
I been using Adobe for 20+ years, but the last two have been horrid, their subscription-extortion just got out of hand, I dump them 2 month ago, I even paid the penalty to just to get out. I bought Affinity Designer, and Photo never looking back.
What Penalty ?

thoogeveen

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It's been almost two years since I've used any Adobe product as a designer. To help you guys out, here is a list of some tools that I found very useful/interesting. The added benefit, is that most are way cheaper than the Adobe versions.

Adobe XD -> Sketch (Adobe XD is a copy of Sketch)
Illustrator -> Affinity Designer
Photoshop -> Affinity Photo / Pixelmator (Pixelmator Pro coming soon.)
Illustrator -> Affinity Publisher (In development, sorry)
Interaction Design -> Framer / Flinto / Principle
Prototyping -> InVision / Marvell

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What Adobe is saying is this:

Our developers never got around to testing their software with beta copies of MacOS. In fact they did not even know this upgrade was in the works and were totally blindsided and only became aware of "High Sierra" when users started calling Adobe customer service with problems. Now that we are aware of this we should have it fixed in a few months. Thank you for using Adode products.
Why don't they just come out and say it like the above. There can't be any other explanation.

Reactions: hot ham water
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.