Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Computerworld reports on a tweet from Adobe's Brad Arkin noting that Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.4 that shipped earlier this week comes with an outdated version of Flash Player and reminding users to upgrade to the latest version.

Someone explain to me why it's Apple's responsibility to include an update to a 3rd party app/plugin? I have a few FireFox plugins like NoScript and Colorful Tabs that automatically update everytime I launch. How come Flash doesn't do this or have some sort of user update reminder? I mean it is their product.

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if it's not possible for Adobe to hook into the respective auto-update mechanisms of OS X and Windows.
As things stand now, how many users actually care to update their Flash installs, even if they are as leak as a sieve...

German

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
in fact the new version of flash prevents my computer to start the screensaver.
I removed the newer version and reinstalled the older one.
:rolleyes:
Everything is ok now

:eek::rolleyes:

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-1297).
Note: There are reports that this issue is being actively exploited in the wild.
This update resolves a memory exhaustion vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2009-3793).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2160).

This update resolves an indexing vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2161).

This update resolves a heap corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution(CVE-2010-2162).

This update resolves multiple vulnerabilities that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2163).

This update resolves a use after free vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2164).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2165).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2166).

This update resolves multiple heap overflow vulnerabilities that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2167).

This update resolves a pointer memory corruption that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2169).

This update resolves an integer overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2170).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2171).

This update resolves a denial of service issue on some UNIX platforms (Flash Player 9 only) (CVE-2010-2172).

This update resolves an invalid pointer vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2173).

This update resolves an invalid pointer vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2174).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2175).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2176).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2177).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2178).

This update resolves a URL parsing vulnerability that could lead to cross-site scripting (Firefox and Chrome browsers only) (CVE-2010-2179).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2180).

This update resolves an integer overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2181).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2182).

This update resolves a integer overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2183).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2184).

This update resolves a buffer overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2185).

This update resolves a denial of service vulnerability that can cause the application to crash. Arbitrary code execution has not been demonstrated, but may be possible. (CVE-2010-2186).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2187).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2188).

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2189).
Note: This issue occurs only on VMWare systems with VMWare Tools enabled.

This update resolves a denial of service issue (CVE-2008-4546).

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-14.html

B

bikemonkey

When you do a clean install of windows (not sure about w7, but true with all recent versions) you need to download Flash yourself.

The point is, Apple provides something that helps Adobe, and Adobe complains.

Ah, yes, but with Windows you have to download your graphics drivers, Camera RAW drivers, printer drivers, mouse drivers etc...

My main point was I like the fact that Mac OS (generally) doesn't need much tinkering. In this instance, load up Safari and you're go. Java's there as is Flash. The web is ready. Not so on a fresh install of Windows. Then again, I don't want to defend Adobe, more the fact that Apple includes mainstream technologies in its OS updates - streamlining the user experience.

As I say, I don't like Flash, but at the moment it is a mainstream technology. In order of keeping things fair I agree that Apple should include it. As with their updates that also include new camera compatibility and various other third party devices. If they stop shipping Flash then they can't morally keep other drivers and plugins in their OS updates. You can't have one rule for one and another for many. At least I don't think so.

EDIT: Also, just to add, that tweet didn't really seem like a complaint to me; more of a valuable suggestion.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Can you explain to me why in Windows sometimes I visit a site that uses Flash and the site tells me the Flash plug-in is out of date and the new one should be installed ? Wouldn't that be the responsibility of Microsoft ?

No. Because MS Don't include Flash with Windows. Apple DO include it with OS X

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
BTW I'm not supporting Adobe here. The release cycles didn't align to allow Apple to carry out sufficient testing. Had I been Apple, I would have done exactly what they did.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It baffles my mind that even in 10.1, Flash does not auto update. Even worse, the simple act of trying to figure out the version of Flash is needlessly complicated.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Remove and install gala version

Thanx for the heads up. I removed it and reinstalled the gala version. Luckily I saved the downloaded files. All is well again.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
It baffles my mind that even in 10.1, Flash does not auto update. Even worse, the simple act of trying to figure out the version of Flash is needlessly complicated.

That's why Steve hates them, and we do too. This stuff is utter junk and the sooner it's gone the better.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ah, yes, but with Windows you have to download your graphics drivers, Camera RAW drivers, printer drivers, mouse drivers etc...

My main point was I like the fact that Mac OS (generally) doesn't need much tinkering. In this instance, load up Safari and you're go. Java's there as is Flash. The web is ready. Not so on a fresh install of Windows. Then again, I don't want to defend Adobe, more the fact that Apple includes mainstream technologies in its OS updates - streamlining the user experience.

As I say, I don't like Flash, but at the moment it is a mainstream technology. In order of keeping things fair I agree that Apple should include it. As with their updates that also include new camera compatibility and various other third party devices. If they stop shipping Flash then they can't morally keep other drivers and plugins in their OS updates. You can't have one rule for one and another for many. At least I don't think so.

EDIT: Also, just to add, that tweet didn't really seem like a complaint to me; more of a valuable suggestion.

It's there for those who don't want to hunt down all the latest updates.

If you want the latest update, you are probably not waiting for the OS update anyway. The Apple update keeps your newer software.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I thought Macs were meant to be easy to use. I haven't a clue what everyone's talking about, and I'm not even a granddad user yet.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I thought Macs were meant to be easy to use. I haven't a clue what everyone's talking about, and I'm not even a granddad user yet.

So what exactly with Apple including a third party plugin so you don't have to look for it and install it yourself differ from "Macs were meant to be easy to use."

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I wonder if it's not possible for Adobe to hook into the respective auto-update mechanisms of OS X and Windows.
As things stand now, how many users actually care to update their Flash installs, even if they are as leak as a sieve...

Flash player does Auto Updates on Windows just fine. I suspect that Steve Jobs prevents Adobe from doing the same on OS X.

flapperdink

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
i was wondering why i experienced higher than normal CPU usage and core temps when browsing the internet. i'll have to install the flash "gala" plugin when i get home from work.

vthree

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
so should i update my flash player or not guys?

i dont care about it not being included, but now im concerned that i i should update to: 10.1.53.64 instead of 10,1,52,15 installed

maybe this is why safari lags whenever flash ads are displayed.

I HATE THEM.

will this improve my experience? yay or nay?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I did have problems with Flash in Safari after updating

I had the latest Flash installed before installing 10.6.4, then Flash under FireFox worked fine, but on Safari I got a white space instead of the Flash object on web pages. I didn't check my version of flash at this point.
I had to reinstall Flash 10.1 to solve the issue.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
so should i update my flash player or not guys?

i dont care about it not being included, but now im concerned that i i should update to: 10.1.53.64 instead of 10,1,52,15 installed

maybe this is why safari lags whenever flash ads are displayed.

I HATE THEM.

will this improve my experience? yay or nay?

nay.install a brokenbox plugin for safari and be happy.really
http://gavers.com/brokenbox/

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
No. Because MS Don't include Flash with Windows. Apple DO include it with OS X

Microsoft has shipped Flash Player with Internet Explorer & Windows for years. They just never had a current version of the Flash Player in their package.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Microsoft has shipped Flash Player with Internet Explorer & Windows for years. They just never had a current version of the Flash Player in their package.
never saw it from xp to 7.excuse me.proof ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.