MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Adobe has started shipping Photoshop Elements 6 for the Mac. Elements 6 was first announced at Macworld in January:
In this release, we've focused on going beyond the basics to make everyday and advanced tasks even easier to achieve. Photoshop Elements 6 for Macintosh allows people to organize and find photos quickly, unleash powerful editing tricks without any heavy lifting, and creatively share photos that give them all the bragging rights."
Adobe detailed the new features on their website, including a number of video demos:

- Create a Group Shot from multiple photos
- Make easy selections
- Use curves adjustments

Version 6.0 finally brings the Mac version of Elements on par with the Windows version. Adobe had previously skipped releasing Elements 5.0 for the Mac. Version 6 also introduces Intel Mac support (Universal Binary) and is available for retail price of $89.99.

While Adobe also sells a downloadable version of Elements 6 (1 GB) on their online store, the actual download is not yet available, but should presumably become available soon.

Article Link

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Have Adobe transitioned to Xcode for this? Or is it still too early to expect this?

Comment

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Voted positive because I'm glad this site got updated...lol.

Comment

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
I gave up on Elements a while ago. Wonder if it's time to look at it again...

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Sound like some cool tools. It is absolutely PATHETIC how long it has taken Adobe to go universal with all their apps. I really don't like Adobe much lately!

Comment

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
yay for people who waited for this. about time the mac version is up to date with the windoze version

Comment

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Hear hear! I totally agree :p
Just waiting for the iMac update......... ... ... ...

THAT would be exciting right about now!

But common, we can't blame MR for this....when there's no news, there's no news. For April fools MR should make a new headline APPLE UPDATES MACBOOKS, MACBOOK PROS, IMACS, MAC PROS, IPOD TOUCH, IPOD CLASSIC...etc. and essentially list every single one of their products, hah.

Truthfully, I never cared to use photoshop elements....iPhone has always been enough for my photographic needs.

Comment

orangermac

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2007
Curves Check! Layer Masks?

Not sure why I care, seeings as I have Photoshop CS3 Extended, but does this support layers masks as well. Layer masks and curves were the two things I missed most when using this program a few years ago.

Comment

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
pardon me for barging in, but is adobe's elements line similar to Apple's express line?

thx
Yeah. Elements is a stripped down version of Photoshop. It's still very good for 90%+ of consumer users.

I have to say with the wait for elements since Leopard broke my last copy, I've taken the plunge with Pixelmator instead. It does everything I need and has great UI touches to boot.

Comment

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Nice to see the UK isn't getting totally hosed on the price of this the way Adobe normally do, it's only $10 more before tax here at the current exchange rates.

Compare that to Photoshop CS3: In the US, $649. In the UK it is the equivalent of $970, again before adding on the UKs 17.5% sales tax which makes the grand total an equivalent of $1140 :eek:

And no, they won't let you buy it from the US store. :mad:

Comment

Eduardo1971

macrumors demi-god
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Yeah. Elements is a stripped down version of Photoshop. It's still very good for 90%+ of consumer users.

I have to say with the wait for elements since Leopard broke my last copy, I've taken the plunge with Pixelmator instead. It does everything I need and has great UI touches to boot.

That and PSE4 ran slow on my Macbook.

I'm looking forward to PSE6 now that it is Universal Binary (I ungraded for $69.00 and free shipping to boot).

Comment

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
For someone who has used Elements before:

How does Elements compare with Paint Shop Pro? I have been a long term user of PSP 7 and then 8 for Windows and still use it under Parallels. What a great value this app was, often well under a hundred bucks.

Unfortunately, I've lfound that the Gimp really isn't a "drawing" program. I worry that Photoshop Elements isn't either. All the low end programs now seem to be geared toward the digital photographer only.

Is Elements full featured- i.e. good for drawing and developing web graphics and elements? Or is it only focused on things like cropping photos and removing red eye?

Comment

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have both Elements and the full PS on the same machine, from work. Often when I want to do something quick, I'll open up Elements as it's faster to load, and some of the things I want to do are easier to get to in Elements (I'm not all that familiar with full PS). E.g. quick crop, resize and re-compress a large image for putting on a website in low-res version.

Comment

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Is this version compatible with the iPhone? Also, I pre-ordered so I'm waiting for the download link... I'm excited!

Comment

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
iPhone has always been enough for my photographic needs.

I'm guessing you mean iPhoto. I never really used iPhoto until I got my iMac and now I use it all the time. I never had enough room on my Powerbook or Macbook Pro to keep all my photos on my computer. I do know that I like the 2008 version of iPhoto better than the previous ones.

Comment

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Unfortunately, I've lfound that the Gimp really isn't a "drawing" program. I worry that Photoshop Elements isn't either. All the low end programs now seem to be geared toward the digital photographer only.

Is Elements full featured- i.e. good for drawing and developing web graphics and elements? Or is it only focused on things like cropping photos and removing red eye?

From what I understand, Gimp, PS, and PSE are specifically photo editors. They are designed for editing existing photos or pixel-based drawings. You are looking for something else if you want to generate new graphics.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.