Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
There actually is logging for the entire HomeKit system but only done via an AppleTV but it does grabs the logs for all devices and accessories within your HomeKit home. It’s accessed via a secret dev menu in settings
Which makes it inaccessible to normal users. When a HomePod says "Hmmm - I didn't hear back" or "This is taking too long" what is the average HomeKit user supposed to do with that? I haven't been afflicted with many HomeKit problems, but I feel for the people who have. There's just not enough information given to them to know where to start fixing things.

Reactions: Itinj24

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I did upgrade this morning, but I get
"HomePod is being configured. Additional settings will be available shortly…"
Is it something normal? It's going on since 20 min
I'm guessing it's stuck because if I click on the mini pod icon it starts playing music

P.s. Configuring is happening only on Home on the MAC

Last edited:

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
I did upgrade this morning, but I get
"HomePod is being configured. Additional settings will be available shortly…"
Is it something normal? It's going on since 20 min
I'm guessing it's stuck because if I click on the mini pod icon it starts playing music

P.s. Configuring is happening only on Home on the MAC

What “upgrade” did you do? Be more specific, there are a few different things in this context…

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
My Ecobee got stuck in Configuring. I had to reboot all my Home Hubs (again) to get it working. There’s obviously something broken in the HomePod and Apple TV software. I’m really surprised Apple hasn’t put out an update yet.

Reactions: katbel

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
to 16.2 HomePod OS

Updating your HomePods to 16.2 does not do the HomeKit architecture “upgrade”.

The HomeKit architecture changes have been pulled by Apple and are no longer available - due to issues.

The OS updates and the HomeKit architecture “upgrade” are two separate things.

The HomeKit architecture “upgrade” required all of our devices to be updated to 16.2 for iOS, iPodOS, HomePodOS and TVOS; & 13.1 for MacOS before it would even be available as an option.

Reactions: haruhiko

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Not doing it as I don’t want to have to take off all my HomePods and faff around re-adding them. I only use my homepods for music, Apple TV speakers, calendars, reminders, messages etc And they work for that. So if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I use echo devices for my smart home stuff.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
My Ecobee got stuck in Configuring. I had to reboot all my Home Hubs (again) to get it working. There’s obviously something broken in the HomePod and Apple TV software. I’m really surprised Apple hasn’t put out an update yet.
I think the problem is only in the word, on my Mac.
In the Home app if I touch the icon that says "Configuring" it starts to play music and if I click on it again it stops
I can live with that because Apple is not what it used to be long time ago
Going downhill alas 😟 but it's a minor issue

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I think the problem is only in the word, on my Mac.
In the Home app if I touch the icon that says "Configuring" it starts to play music and if I click on it again it stops
I can live with that because Apple is not what it used to be long time ago
Going downhill alas but it's a minor issue

In my case trying to use Siri on the Ecobee would complain something was wrong. Ecobee routes all Siri requests to HomePods. I tried power cycling the Ecobee which didn’t help. I had to reboot the HomePods.

Basically the underlying problem is that the Home software on HomePods and Apple TV is buggy. It just stops working after awhile, requiring a reboot. Usually I don’t notice this till I’m away from home. Rebooting the HomePods when not home is easy enough to do via the Home app. It’s not possible for the Apple TV which will take over as Home hub at that point if it isn’t already the hub.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
In my case trying to use Siri on the Ecobee would complain something was wrong. Ecobee routes all Siri requests to HomePods. I tried power cycling the Ecobee which didn’t help. I had to reboot the HomePods.

Basically the underlying problem is that the Home software on HomePods and Apple TV is buggy. It just stops working after awhile, requiring a reboot. Usually I don’t notice this till I’m away from home. Rebooting the HomePods when not home is easy enough to do via the Home app. It’s not possible for the Apple TV which will take over as Home hub at that point if it isn’t already the hub.
Could you set up only the HomePod and not the AppleTv?
I did setup only the MiniPod for my security cams and avoided to use the Apple TV for many reasons, one of those is not to keep the AppleTv always on. It's connected to a plug with a switch, easy to switch off or on when needed.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Could you set up only the HomePod and not the AppleTv?
I did setup only the MiniPod for my security cams and avoided to use the Apple TV for many reasons, one of those is not to keep the AppleTv always on. It's connected to a plug with a switch, easy to switch off or on when needed.

I’d rather my Apple TV be the hub as it’s wired.

Reactions: rayward

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Oddly I actually got a HKSV recording today. Not sure why since I should have got several, but only the last one actually recorded.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
My smart home has been going nuts over the last two days. I keep getting flurries of hubs and accessories dropping off and then coming back. Sometimes none of the 6 available hubs are working and everything goes offline, and then it comes back but a door lock or some random accessory will drop off.

One of my HomePod Minis has been incredibly flakey. This morning it even got stuck when playing music like a scratched CD. I have had to reboot that thing multiple times a day as it keeps not responding.

As far as I am aware, nothing has changed or been updated. Anyone else getting this kind of behavior?

Reactions: uller6

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I’d rather my Apple TV be the hub as it’s wired.
I was talking to Apple Support recently, and asked if this can be done. Specifically, I set up my HomeKit system on an "old" ATV 4K, but I now have one of the new ones with thread and connected via ethernet (all the other available hubs are WiFi). I wanted to make the new ATV the hub but Support said that it doesn't matter; HomeKit will choose the hub based on what is best for the system and there is no way to force it to use one available hub over any other.

I thought about blowing up my set-up, and starting from scratch on the new ATV, but that seems like a lot of work for potentially no benefit. However, now that my system has been misbehaving (see above), I might have to re-evaluate that decision.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
My smart home has been going nuts over the last two days. I keep getting flurries of hubs and accessories dropping off and then coming back. Sometimes none of the 6 available hubs are working and everything goes offline, and then it comes back but a door lock or some random accessory will drop off.

One of my HomePod Minis has been incredibly flakey. This morning it even got stuck when playing music like a scratched CD. I have had to reboot that thing multiple times a day as it keeps not responding.

As far as I am aware, nothing has changed or been updated. Anyone else getting this kind of behavior?
Yes, I too am getting all sorts of out of the blue HomeKit issues that started a few days ago. Was gonna post on here about it. Wonder if Apple is doing some sort of server side tweaking to prepare for 16.3 or the re-release of the Architecture.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Has anyone tried to newer update in iOS 16.3 beta?

I updated to 16.3RC and it appears to have updated the architecture of Home Kit...I cant confirm as it doesnt tell you...but I no longer get the message to upgrade and one of my Home locations was connected via an iPad as its hub and now its no longer connected (no atv or HomePod at that location yet)...so unless they dropped the ability to connect via iPad on the old architecture, it appears it updated:

IMG_D60C428B017F-1.jpeg

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I updated to 16.3RC and it appears to have updated the architecture of Home Kit...I cant confirm as it doesnt tell you...but I no longer get the message to upgrade and one of my Home locations was connected via an iPad as its hub and now its no longer connected (no atv or HomePod at that location yet)...so unless they dropped the ability to connect via iPad on the old architecture, it appears it updated:

View attachment 2144892
I was wondering about this. There were reports a few days ago that the new architecture was going to be re-released with 16.3 but nobody reported it with the release of the RC build. I never even saw the pop up originally because it was pulled before I had a chance to update all my devices to 16.2.

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
I'm not sure if this is completely accurate, but some report if you no longer have the option in your Apple TV to remove it as a Home hub then you're on the new architecture. I'm running the new architecture and I don't have that setting anymore, but I can't confirm if it was the architecture update that removed the setting or it's just 16.2 in general since I wasn't able to check how it was like before updating to the new architecture.

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota

I was fighting something similar last weekend. I thought it was related to a power outage we had at our home, but maybe it was an iCloud thing after all. I finally fixed it by unplugging all my home hubs and leaving them all unplugged for about 20 minutes. I waited until the Home app said all my hubs were offline. Then, one by one, I plugged them back in. I waited a bit as each one came back online before plugging in the next. Everything has been running well since then with hardly any drops at all.

Last edited:

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010

I’ve had the same issues for the last few days. Hubs randomly all going offline, then single devices dropping in and out of the network. I’ve been going crazy trying to troubleshoot and it’s driving my wife bonkers. I was one of the lucky few who successfully updated my home architecture after 16.2 was released but before Apple pulled the update.

Why won’t HomeKit JUST WORK?!?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.