Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Haven't gotten around to try this yet, and others might've realized this already.. iChat's video chat isn't limited to 1-to-1 video like FaceTime currently does - is FaceTime (1-to-1) the only video chat option in Messages?

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
ML is what it is, and for some it will enhance their user experience and for others it wont be worth it. But you can never please everyone.

Apple will judge the sucess of ML like any other company with every other product based on its uptake and sales. But people Stamping feet before the final release based on if they can send message is a bit sad..

We can all have our own opinion based on our user experience but it doesnt make the product good or bad. Messages is one application of many.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
A stupid, artificial bad move from Apple. Or at least make iChat able to send the iMessages, even if you cannot use whatever the latest whizzy feature is.

The question is: what's going to happen when the Beta ends?
It already replaced iChat, so does this mean we are going to left without anything?
At least it should be available in the AppStore.
There's no real reason for not making it available for Lion too, as it is compatible.
I'm planning to upgrade when it comes out, but it would be unfair to those who are not upgrading.

At least Apple should reward those who are Beta testing their product, and give it out for free. Without us, they wouldn't be able to test it in a real world environment.
Should we all agree not to test it unless Apple promises to make it available for all supported versions for free?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bummer. I guess I won't be trying the beta then since my Mac won't run ML and I was hoping to get one more year out of it. I only upgrade my hardware when I am not able to do something I want to do. I haven't had that issue yet with my MacBook. But it seems to be coming soon. But not being able to use Messages is not going to get me to upgrade. I just went to Lion when iCloud came out!

I have only had 2 Macs since Sept 2004. That is pretty good, I think.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Haven't gotten around to try this yet, and others might've realized this already.. iChat's video chat isn't limited to 1-to-1 video like FaceTime currently does - is FaceTime (1-to-1) the only video chat option in Messages?

Really? I didn't know iChat could video conference more than 2 people at the same time. Well, I remember trying a few things with it, but never saw that as a possibility.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
First... if you don't like Messages after installing the beta, there is an "Uninstall" option on the Messages menu that will reinstall iChat for you, so the fear that you will be left with nothing when the beta expires is clearly unwarranted.

Now, my guess is that the purpose of the Messages beta is not so much to beta-test the client side, which can be done in the developer previews, but to beta test the server (iCloud) side under some load by getting some number of users using it. If that's the case, it would explain the crudity of the UI, and it may mean that the ML version of Messages will include additional functionality, or similar functionality implemented in a different way that relies on APIs present in ML but not Lion.

So Apple appears to have developed a short-term beta app to use to introduce the concept and exercise the cloud servers, an app which is not up to Apple's standards of a finished product (witness the snarking about the UI) and which will die a deserved death one the functionality is well integrated into the OS -- the OS being Mountain Lion.

ManMadeHuman

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Does anyone else get the feeling that this is being released as a NEW OS 10.8 because Windows 8 will be released soon?

They don't want people to think their OS is older. Kind of like Microsofts move with the Xbox. XBox 2 sounded inferior to Playstation 3 so by calling it the 360 they got to use an equivalent mental image.

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
I don't know what you expected, your Macbook is 5 freaking years old, of course it can't get every shiny new OS, jeez. You can still use Snow Leopard or Lion on it, so what is the problem? I nevery understand why people are so obsessed with getting the newest software, but don't want to pay for it or upgrade their hardware. Maybe Apple knows, that Messages can't be integrated without problems in Lion, that's why it will be ML exclusive.

Because it is powerful enough to use it. I upgraded my late 2007 with an SSD, with 6 GB of ram and a 500 gb hard drive, and it can for sure run it.

It even runs the 64 bit kernel, you even have the drivers for X3100, it is only an artificial decision that it can't run 64 bit natively.
Same for mountain lion.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This is nothing new. Apple did the same thing with the iChat AV public beta. Apple did offer 10.2 users the option of buying it for $29 if you didn't want to upgrade. ML will likely cost that amount or less.

I think it would be smarter for Apple to decouple the app from the OS, combine it with FaceTime, and offer it for Windows for free. Otherwise Skype will run all over them in this area.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
but c'mon who isnt going to upgrade? ;) (if you dont have an integrated video a few years old...)

More people than you realize. I say this will change in the coming months.

Just let bad publicity and a nice lawsuit from someone with time and a law degree and they will change their tune. I for one will not be upgrading one of the laptops since its doing just fine on Lion and its 5 years old. Yes it still runs Lion and actually dam fast with SSD :D. But it is showing its age and Apple does not want me to upgrade.

All other laptops and iMac will get an upgrade of course after a few months of watching people scream about issues and alien probing. :rolleyes:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
So I guess this is gonna be a "big" app for ML... They want to start the iOS trend of apps not working on older devices... Do they realize people don't upgrade their computers as fast as their phones... Based on what I have seen I still don't get why reviewers are saying ML is a big update...

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Wow, Apple sure has balls.

1. Show the world that it CAN be run on Lion.
2. Release Mountain Lion.
3. Inform that it will no longer run on Lion. Why? Because.

This is different than the artifical requirements of Siri. It wasn't first released for all iPhones and then retracted.

Sure, I understand marketing, but I'm surprised that they didn't just include it in the Mountain Lion Developer Preview alone if this was the plan all along.

Especially those with older integrated graphics cards, something completely irrelevant to messaging, will be annoyed since Mountain Lion won't support those.

Probably no storm and flying chairs about this yet, but rather when the Beta times out.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
This Is The side about Apple that i don't like at all. They are artificially limiting The User and know that this Is how they can Pressure him to Upgrade. it's incredible that such behaviour would lead to People hating Microsoft if they die that, but Apple Fans so Not speak up against it and 'swallow' this unfaithful Trick against Apples own customers.

Are you able to read? Just asking because lots of people don't like this artificial limit.

Relax Apple is a big company and stuff like this always tend to get resolve in time Cook is a good CEO this stuff will go away.

brannman27

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2008
Damn you Apple. I love your products but unbelievable greed excretes form every pore of you. If it isn't bad enough that my 2007 blackbook won't run Mountain Lion you now are denying your faithful customers useful features. Listen i can't afford a nice shiny new Mac to have this feature, so how about you cut the little guy some slack and make this available to all. :mad:
Dude, you are jumping the gun based on rumors. "Messages" at least might be available to you possibly for free or for .99 in the App Store.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Seriously, Apple? This is just like giving iPhone 4 users Siri in 5.1 Beta but saying, "Oh, Siri won't fully support your device until iOS 6 later this year." Messages work fine for us Lion users, just make it $.99 after the BETA.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Has anyone told you guys you're a bunch of whiners? :rolleyes: Seriously, for the hundreds of dollars extra you're willing to pay for the "Mac Experience" verses a Wintel machine, suddenly paying $30 is too much for an OS update?

I remember when people paid $30 or more to register shareware apps, and that was 10-15 years ago, when a dollar was worth a little bit more than it is now.

If $30 is too much for a one-time purchase, you can always go pay $12 a year for Trillian Pro. :D

Money isn't the issue. It's just not worth $30 to me.
Like I said, if Apple throws in some more stuff (which I assume they will) which is good, then I'll consider. But otherwise, I'd be even fine with 10.6.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Really? I didn't know iChat could video conference more than 2 people at the same time. Well, I remember trying a few things with it, but never saw that as a possibility.

Don't forget screen sharing! Both are useful features. As a matter of fact, if all members have iChat there is no need to even look at Skype...

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York

Yea I used to do that with classmates when I was in college, when we were supposed to study for exams. :cool:

I think it's up to 10 buddies per group video chat? I could be wrong though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.