After JB and Unlocking My 4s, I'm Selling It !!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eager Beaver, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Eager Beaver, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Where were you M Quick back in Jan of 09 when I didn't know richard about iphones?

In Jan of 09 I was getting hosed by Sprint, (was Nextel) for $180 bucks a month for 2 flip phones, one for me, one for my wife, (no internet even).
    While ice fishing, my buddy is showing me his iphone 2g, and it was waaaaay better than my motorolla flip phone, was cheaper to own even with a data plan, so I hopped on the iphone wagon, and loved it.

I had no idea the 3gs would come out 5 months later, and I had no idea the 4 would come out the following june when I still had 6 months left -

When I dropped my 3g from 2 feet and the front glass shattered, I had no idea the the company I have been sending checks to for many months, att, did not know how to repair it, they told me to go to Apple -

It was only then that I googled up how to repair it myself, and since my phone was no longer under warranty, why not JB it? So I did both!

My JB 3g was the cat's ass, and I was really happy with how much more custom and useful it became, I was more in love with my iphone than ever!

So jan 2010 arrives and I'm no longer under contract :)
    Do I immediately grab a 4 and sign a new 2yr deal, no way, not this time, I know better now. I'm gonna wait 6 more months, and get me a nice shiney state of the art 5, with bigger screen and all kinds of cool stuff like nfc, 4g/lte -

So I was contantly educating myself about the new phones, discovered this site while doing so, and realized back in March like the rest of you that we weren't going to see a new iphone in June - good grief, I went from a 6 month wait, to a 10 month wait, and I didn't "choose" the 4s, it chose me.
    Here I am using a phone for almost 3 yrs, it is getting very slow, the battery is very weak, it is at the end of it's usefull life, I HAVE to get a new phone, (it's not a matter of "choice" at this point) -

Like most, I was very dissapointed when they announced the 4s, all of this wait and anguish for this? WTH !!! 2 days after the keynote, att started selling the SGS2, and I was going to give it a real look for the 30 day trial, then bring it back and get a new 4s, (give it a look for 30 days without getting locked in).
    Inevitably, I decided NOT to try the SGS2, in fear of not being able to go back to the 4s and look at the tiny 3.5" screen, (so I just decided to get the 4s).

I had no idea the 4s would come with all the pre-order fiascos with good solid customers getting hosed while the carriers sold our "pre-ordered" phones to anyone walking in, telling us we now had to wait 30 days :mad:

Now, with the lack of a JB, I couldn't be more dissapointed with the 4s -

So there you go, call me every flippin name in this thread like "dummy", "retard", and some of the other non flattering stuff posted, but don't call me an idiot for wanting to get off this ride for a while, (I never said I wouldn't come back to check out the 5, just pissed about my 4s) -

So how's your battery life on your new "best" of all smartphones, did you get lucky, or did you get a defective one?

I just want to JB and unlock my 4s so I can get the most value for it, and then I'm jumping ship !!!
    Can't stand the Apple "drama" anymore -
    I bought a 3g/2yr contract in Jan of 09, only to see the 3gs come out 5 months later in June, and 1 year after that, the 4 came out, and I still had 6 months left on my contract (and now 2 phones behind) -

In Jan of 2010, I was free but I did not update to iphone4/sign new 2yr deal, (I was going to wait for the 5 in June) :)
    Then had to wait 10 flippin' months to get a repackaged iphone4, what a freakin' joke -
    IMO, JB makes the iphone twice as usefull, but we don't even have that after 2 months.
    Anyone remember the gigantic pre-order scandal? (what a nightmare) -
    Now, 1/2 of the 12 bazillion 4s have battery issues, and Siri doesn't even work on the other half -

It's a year long hassle/struggle trying to be on top of Apple's annual iphone merry-go-round, and I want to get off, I have had enough -

When the SGS3 come's out, I will be on it like Lemmings on iphone, standing in line if I have to -

Anyone else sick of the drama, or is it already accepted as your yearly routine?

2. ras119 macrumors newbie

My first iPhone was a 3g and I loved it. After that I got the orginal Droid which I absoultly hated. I now own a 4s and don't have any issues with it what so ever. My battery usually lasts like 2 days with about 5-6 hours usage which I think is pretty good. Siri is a beta and has been working fine for me for a while now so I have no issues at all with the 4s.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You know what's a bigger joke? The iPhone 3G. It had one improvement over the 2G. The 3G radio. That was it. The iPhone 4S has many over the iPhone 4. If you got tricked into buying anything, it was the iPhone 3G. Should have waited for the 3Gs, it was and still is a much faster iPhone.

5. ann713 macrumors 6502a

6. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Enjoy having your information sold to advertisers and installing an Anti-Virus on your phone.

;)

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Sounds like you're just changing the drama from Apple drama to Samsung drama. Unfortunately, Samsung drama just sounds awkward and unholy, while Apple drama is already well established and accepted.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It was also the first iPhone you could buy on subsidy. That was huge... Most iPhone users today didn't have a 2G when it was "the phone to have".

9. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I get what you are saying here, but the "drama" you speak of seems to be "getting screwed out of having the newest phone all the time". That's going to be the same with the SGS3 (or whatever phone you get). Specific phone models are on ~1yr refresh cycle (or less). Contracts are generally 2+ years. This is not, and never has been, unique to the iPhone.

Either way, do what makes you happy. The SGS2 is a rockin' phone. I am sure the 3 will be even better!

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

This is my 4S, so everything seems fine. I've had no prior experience with iPhones to compare this too.

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

OP - that's with ANYTHING. Not just phones but tech in general. Get what works for you and go from there.

15. TitanBrett macrumors newbie

You do know that new nexus phones come out less than 2 years apart too, right?

16. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I hear that the OP is saying. I got the iPhone 3G in December 2008, skipped pass the 3GS since I wasn't eligible for an upgrade discount, so was excited when the 4 came out which I was eligible for an upgrade. But with antenna problems, I was really put off by it. Especially when Apple boasted that the antenna design was revolutionary, however, it was flawed. So I figured I could wait another year. When June arrived, there was no iPhone 5. So I eventually said, ok, I can wait a few more months, since they must be making this new phone completely different. Waited, and it ended up being a repackaged iPhone 4 (at least on the outside and form factor)

I do love the iPhone 4S though so I am happy with it and not jumping ship. They fixed the antenna issue, love the retina display, really fast with the dual core chip and love the camera. As for Siri, it was cool when I first got it, then got bored of it after a few days and don't use it regularly.

17. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

But will it be the same phone only with Siri 2yrs from now, (prolly much different)?
    Will we have to survive the 2 month pre-order ordeal?
    How about the battery ordeal, or siri not connecting consistantly in some countries, (not countys)?
    At least I won't have to wait for a genius to JB to make it customizable and as functional as it was designed to be -

I could be totally wrong and may fly back to iphone 5s comes out, (roll eyes), but I would like to, (if only for a few months), give the non-iphone experience a try -

I see some other posters have actually bashed me for my post -
    Shame on me for wanting to have a look behind door number 2 -
    (the nerve)

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Glad I'm not the only one who realizes this. Bugs me when people call the 3Gs and 4S minor updates and then in the same breath call the 3G a major update. Hardware wise, the 3G was the least significant. Same CPU, same screen, same camera, same ram... It just came with 3G and GPS. The 3G part was sorta useless back then since AT&T's 3G coverage was terrible

19. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Why don't you just go and try it instead of saying there's 'apple drama' and starting a thread?

20. TitanBrett macrumors newbie

Well there are a few more valid reasons in this post than in the original. I guess my point was that with a 2year contract you will never be able to stay right on the edge of technology regardless of manufacturer.

21. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Well you'll be sticking with your iPhone 4S for a little bit longer then you'd hope for. An unlock hasen't been avaible since early release iPhone 4 models. Enjoy the 4S for the full two years buddy. :rolleyes:

22. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

No, it's all a matter of luck, and I have been extremely unlucky, leading to my less then thrilly iphone ride -

And when I purchaced my 1st iphone 3g, it was light years better than the Nextel flip phones I had used for previous years, I LOVED the 3g and was sold on iphone -
    It's just the unluckyness of getting the nonlubricated shaft when it was my turn to jump on the ride, that left a sour taste in my mouth -
    Now I patiently wait, and 16 months later it's the same phone, only with Siri - good grief !!!

edit - thank God I'm not one of the folks with the battery issue, or I might really start to complain !!!

23. aristobrat macrumors G5

How is this a surprise to you?

Did you completely not see the whole iPhone 3G/iPhone 3Gs cycle? Where 12 months after the iPhone 3G, it was the same phone, only with a faster processor and a better camera?

Having seen that, how could you not think there'd be the possibility that they'd do the same thing with the iPhone 4s?

24. b24pgg macrumors 65816

You can't, and you probably won't be able to for months.

25. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I honestly don't understand people who upgraded to the 4S and then complain about it. Apple did NOT keep it secret as to what the phone was. They publicly announced all of the upgrades and told the world that Siri was in fact BETA. Siri sucks so much that developers are falling all over themselves trying to port to other devices.

Is the 4S perfect? No it is not. Some have battery issues but it seems most do not. Some love Siri and use it everyday and some do not. And there are some other minor issues I've read about but as a whole the 4S is an excellent Smartphone.

The people that bought it also new full well that it came with iOS5 and that too was demonstrated by Apple and all (most) features were shown to the public. Again, Apple did not keep it secret, so that means you knew full well what you were getting.

If you bought the 4S with the intent of jailbreaking it then the error was yours and anyone who bought the phone based on future customization options based on a jailbreak quite frankly, made a dumb decision.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. As a matter of fact compared to others around here I'm fairly new to the world of Apple products. My first was the iPad when it was released then a MBP at the end of 2010, an iPad2 and now an iPhone.

I happen to think that Apple makes excellent products and I've been happy with all my purchases. Are they perfect? No but they are better than most alternatives.

I used Android phones for about three years and while I never saw ICS up close I don't foresee switching back any time soon if ever.

I tried stock and I tried rooted and while rooted was fine for a few months it became more of a hindrance than anything else. In the end I just wanted a phone that worked out of the box the way it was intended to.

Hey, I can understand getting board with iOS but I can almost guarantee if you go to Android and start rooting you'll end up regretting it praying for your contract to expire so you can get back to iPhone.

Rant over!! I used the word "you" as a general term and not towards anyone specific.