Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
What does 1password do that Apple's Keychain doesn't?

- Share sets of passwords with family members
- is cross platform
- stores securely encrypted notes and other items besides passwords
- has a much more user-friendly interface

Keychain is ok if your needs are very modest, but it doesn't do much and is not as easy to use.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Well there is that.

Good summary!

I’d add seamless support for 2FA, the ability to detect possibly compromised passwords, duplicate passwords, passwords that haven’t changed recently.

I also store things like visas, trusted traveler numbers, padlock combinations, etc etc

I also use the family plan where we securely share passwords to services like Netflix or joint bank accounts. It’s really slick he way vaults are implemented.

You simply can’t compare keychain and 1Password.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Keychain doesn't incorporate 2FA, but iCloud does. Any time you try to sign into your Apple ID on a new device you get a notification to verify on your other trusted devices. It is totally seamless, secure, and convenient.

Pretty sure they mean Time Based One Time Passwords. Yes, iCloud is protected by 2 step verification, but 1Passwords stores all these 1 time passwords (like google authenticator) for website that support 2 step authentication (like Dropbox, Facebook, gmail, and others) where iCloud doesn’t do this at all. You would need a 3rd party app for this.

Reactions: jarman92

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Good summary!

I’d add seamless support for 2FA, the ability to detect possibly compromised passwords, duplicate passwords, passwords that haven’t changed recently.

I also store things like visas, trusted traveler numbers, padlock combinations, etc etc

I also use the family plan where we securely share passwords to services like Netflix or joint bank accounts. It’s really slick he way vaults are implemented.

You simply can’t compare keychain and 1Password.

Except that all that I use it for is for passwords, and other than the cross-platform capability, iCloud Keychain works better for me on iOS, which is where I do 99.999999999% of my logging into of things.

Plus, as of right now, 1Password is unable to supply a password to an app's login screen. iCloud Keychain can and does.

As for family sharing, I just tell her the password or type it in, vice-versa.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
iCloud Keychain is useless on Windows that Apple uses to make iTunes and other stuff for Windows. They also make Apple Music for Android. You can also give employees access and revoke access when an employee is terminated. You can’t do any of this stuff with iCloud Keychain.

I guess that almost nobody at Apple uses Windows or Android. There are a couple of small groups, sure, but not worth such a massive policy change.

If there are holes in iCloud Keychain, why not fill them? Enterprise support is another focus Apple's had recently, so it would also make sense as a product feature.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Good points. But I don't think that downloading an app, installing plug-ins/extensions, copying and pasting passwords, etc. is any easier than clicking the tab in Settings/Safari that says "Passwords."

You don't have to switch back and forth or copy and paste. Go to a website you have already saved a password for, hold down CMD-\ and the user name and password are automatically filled. You never see the 1Password App. (If you have a website that you have more than one saved user name, you are given a list of user names and pick the one to fill.) Same speed as Keychain.

[QUOTE}Keychain doesn't incorporate 2FA, but iCloud does. Any time you try to sign into your Apple ID on a new device you get a notification to verify on your other trusted devices. It is totally seamless, secure, and convenient.

And the Keychain app is a mess, but it is pretty much deprecated at this point. All passwords are stored on the Mac in Safari Preferences and on iOS in Settings > Passwords & Accounts. Most people will never even need to know that because passwords are just autofilled every time.[/QUOTE]

Not the same thing. That is only protecting your iCloud account, with ITOPS/2FA, any website that supports it, is safeguarded. (Plus, if you use the CMD-\ fill option, the 1-time password is automatically filled in to your clipboard and can be pasted quickly via cmd-V)

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I guess that almost nobody at Apple uses Windows or Android. There are a couple of small groups, sure, but not worth such a massive policy change.

If there are holes in iCloud Keychain, why not fill them? Enterprise support is another focus Apple's had recently, so it would also make sense as a product feature.
How do you thin iTunes for Windows and Apple Music for Android get made for these platforms? How does Apple test stuff for window users and android users? Even driffernt web browser testing? iCloud Keychain is a basic password keeper, 1Password manager is that, a password manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I wonder if the same people that are bemoaning Apple's rumoured acquisition of 1P, will be the same ones shouting about how great Siri Shortcuts are in iOS 12?

Well there's a marked difference between the Workflow acquisition and the possible 1Password acquisition. Workflow was an iOS only app while 1Password is available on multiple platforms including non-Apple ones. It's no wonder that people are worried about what would happen to the platform support.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
They haven't done anything with the Workflow acquisition at this point other than making it so Siri can use it. It's not as if they've added features to it.

Well, at the very least they haven't deprecated anything.

But like you said, they've added features. It's continuing on as Shortcuts app, it's gotten a lot of attention at WWDC for iOS 12 and it'll be built into the OS. Seems like decent improvement and something that users of workflow seemed happy about.

IF they acquire 1Password, hopefully they do something similar (combining it with Keychain and building it into the system). Honestly doesn't seem like they will be acquiring them though.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Keychain doesn't incorporate 2FA, but iCloud does. Any time you try to sign into your Apple ID on a new device you get a notification to verify on your other trusted devices. It is totally seamless, secure, and convenient.
If iCloud were the only online account you wanted to use 2FA with, then yes. But most people need to login to many more services/websites, that is why the use password managers.
And the Keychain app is a mess, but it is pretty much deprecated at this point. All passwords are stored on the Mac in Safari Preferences and on iOS in Settings > Passwords & Accounts. Most people will never even need to know that because passwords are just autofilled every time.
There are other things that are stored in Keychain that require the app to manage or look them up: WiFi passwords, iTunes device backups, disk image passwords, secure notes. Except for the last item they might also get auto-filled, but some of them you might want to extract for use by others (eg, WiFi passwords).

And then there are all the bells & whistles I listed earlier. I particularly like the password 'auditing' parts.
[doublepost=1531250766][/doublepost]
I have done well without a password manager for years now. Don't see the reason to buy one now.
Without a password manager or without a third-party password manager?

Last edited:

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
We moved from sharing an Apple ID, to each family member having their own.

I think iCloud synch fails for a family, living together. If each family member has a different Apple ID, but want to access the same pool of passwords, there is no way that iCloud synch will work, such that all the passwords are synched between the family member’s devices. I tried Dropbox and it did not synch reliably.

I don’t like paying for a subscription, but I don’t see another viable family option.

Jay
Agree with different Apple IDs for each family member. We do this and Apple makes it simple. Personally I’ll hold on to iCloud sync as long as I possibly can. Works beautifully. Have you looked into 1Password vaults? Could be your answer.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
The letters BGR always mean it’s BS. Has BGR ever not been full of isht?

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Perhaps Apple will make this free for anyone with an iCloud account. Perhaps they will also maintain cross-platform capability to help entice people into their ecosystem.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Yes! Do hope it is an acquisition. 1 password tricks could help Apple sign ins on all devices. Could still offer it for Windows and Android.

I can barely even begin to imagine how much better this app could become once Apple buy's it out.
I mean, look how Siri advanced so massively once Apple took control ;)

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Except that all that I use it for is for passwords, and other than the cross-platform capability, iCloud Keychain works better for me on iOS, which is where I do 99.999999999% of my logging into of things.

Plus, as of right now, 1Password is unable to supply a password to an app's login screen. iCloud Keychain can and does.

As for family sharing, I just tell her the password or type it in, vice-versa.

This will change in iOS12 where third parties will also have access to app logins.

I have a shared vault of passwords with my parents who are in their 80s. It’s great to be able to access shared financial information, websites, social security numbers, and insurance accounts without them using weak passwords or forgetting them constantly.

Not to mention that most websites have security questions like “name of your high school” and other information easily obtained, or they have verbal passcodes if you need to call in. I make up fake info for all of these things and store them in 1Password, too.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Apple employees have already received 1Password for free for several years, so it's unclear what this "deployment" refers to exactly.

Considering Apple’s famed interest in secrecy? I’d guess they want employees to step up the use of highly complex, randomized passwords. Providing a tool of this sort makes it easier for staff to comply. It goes from free, optional download to employer-mandated procedure.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Lots. It’s more than its name suggests. It stores more than just passwords.
Don't forget it also does an extremely good job of managing and using two-factor authentication codes across Mac / iOS / Apple Watch.

Also, Mac and iOS do a good job in Safari of suggesting reasonably strong passwords, but 1Password can suggest, fill, and manage much stronger passwords (you want 50 character passwords that are complete ASCII gibberish? 1Password's got you covered).

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
This (and many other examples) exemplifies the current state of media reporting.

Its now more important to post something first, than to be right.

Reactions: mashinhead
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.