AirPods 2 With Grip Coating and AirPower Said to Launch This Spring

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:06 AM.

1. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Never had AirPods, but almost certainly pulling the trigger on the new ones if they’re in black or space gray. Hope I can run with them and not lose them.

2. VictorTango777, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

1. AirPods not designed for secure fit.

2. New MacOS Console application not made for even basic system troubleshooting.
    https://eclecticlight.co/2016/09/23/sierras-console-promising-but-incomplete/

https://eclecticlight.co/2016/09/29/welcome-to-macos-sierras-new-console-its-buried-in-terminal/

https://eclecticlight.co/2018/03/19/macos-unified-log-1-why-what-and-how/

"to emphasise debugging of macOS and apps, not providing any facilities for system administration or audit;"

Welcome to alternative reality.

3. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

I have to use silicone tips for them to fit and not fall out. The left one falls out all the time unless I use the tips.

I was hoping the 2nd gen would design the case to fit tips. It sucks having to take them off to charge, then put them on to use. It would be awesome if you could put them on, and that’s it. One time.

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I want to thumbs-up this post 100 times.

5. cmaier macrumors G4

They don’t come close to fitting in my ears. They fall out just from me eating, never mind walking around. Wish they’d adopt silicone tips. I gave mine to my little girl, and they fit her fine. The idea that one size fits a 10 year old girl and me with my giant earholes is absurd.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I understand that they don’t fit everyone but I’m a 35 year old women and they fit me perfectly.

7. nitramluap macrumors regular

Grip coating? Why? Presumably so I can’t slide them in to my pocket anymore... just like the silicone cases for the phone. A real PITA.

8. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

If they actually come out with black ones I'll bite. If not, still won't buy em.

9. cmaier macrumors G4

Yes. They fit some people. But think about it - how could it be possible that the same EarPod would fit perfectly in the ears of every 10 year old girl, every 35 year old woman, and every 6’6” 60 year old man? Ear holes are different sizes. This is why most earphones, at least those that are designed to take sound quality seriously, have silicon tips, and most of those are replaceable with different sized tips.

10. SparkOnShore macrumors member

Check the science:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/apple/airpods-wireless

It's very simple for someone who knows sound; Airpods have bass roll off. Study above linked FR curves to get the proof. Sound of Airpods is thin with screamy highs. Apple needs new updated airpods soonest...

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

12. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I remember trying forever to score a pair of AirPods when they debuted but once I finally did, they were a game changer and still have been to this day. The perfect companion when running or cycling for me, they never fall out. As others have said, only now after almost two years has the charge started to wane.

A few other things I noted..

-Mini health benefits of AirPods II to further entice potential Apple Watch buyers.

-Imagine losing a black AirPod outside!

-All of these gripes about sound...I’d be interested in knowing what EQ setting they use.

-As far as AirPower goes...I’m not believing any hype at this point until I hear it from the horses mouth themselves.

13. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Jony Ive had the AirPods molded to fit his own ears and said "Screw everyone else".

New line of Apple clothing will be custom tailored for Ive's own body.

Apple Car interior dimensions will be based on Ive's body measurements. All seats will be permanently molded to fit Ive's own body.

14. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

You can already buy third party silicone tips and wings.

15. cmaier macrumors G4

I’ve tried. They don’t work for me. And most don’t fit in the case. So you are constantly peeling them off and putting them on again.

16. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Timely article by AboveAvalon.

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2019/2/11/airpods-have-gone-viral

Especially this line.

17. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Noise reduction?

There must be people at Apple who have been on the NYC Subway and London Tube and who know that many of the sort of people who will spring $200 on a new pair of headphones tend to live in cities like these.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:56 PM ---
    I have a pair of Sony noise reduction AirPods. The sound quality is great but they’re hardly a joy to use. My girlfriend says that they sound way better than the EarPods, however her Aiepods are a joy to use (who doesn’t love the pairing/setup?) and with great connection quality - whereas I’m used to mine constantly dropping out.

18. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

They used to make a wired version of that. They retailed for $79 USD. I'm not sure if that proved to be a loss or profit for them. They were bearable, but not my favorite pair of headphones. They were just a step-up in audio quality from the EarPods.

19. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Agreed. There seems to be room for the ‘cheaper’ original AirPods and a more expensive AirPods 2 with ‘new and improved with health features’ (and presumably better waterproofing).

20. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Grip coating? What a novel idea. If only they'd apply a grip coating to their iPhones, rather than design them to be as slippery as possible.

21. psylence2k macrumors 6502

This is what I figured was one of the main factors for people. Which I somewhat understand. The whole look and concept of it seems really cool , especially with the carrying case.

I stayed away mainly because I heard the audio quality was mediocre. For me , if I'm spending over $100 on headphones the audio quality has to be really really good because that's the main purpose of headphones to hear my music really well which really has an effect on how well I enjoy my music. To me that's the main purpose of headphones because it has such a big effect on the musical experience so that comes first.

but I understand some people are different, some people are fine with the wired earbuds that come out of the iphone box but those are free so I never thought people would pay $159 for what I hear is average sound quality but I guess people are paying for the wireless connectivity and the look as a tradeoff for what they can get for their money in sound.

I'm also use to 8+ hours battery life on other headsets with highly praised sound so hearing that the airpods were less than that was also disappointing. I've also never liked the fit of the wired earbuds, they fall out constantly for me, and the air pods look the same. I have to have the silicone oval/earbuds that go in and give a nice secure and comfortable fit. I would be frustrated paying that much and the thought of them falling out, especially when exercising. On top of that the thought of $159 earbuds falling out with nothing to catch them and potentially getting damaged or lost depending on the situation isn't a great experience either. Of course you can probably get some third party accessory wires but that defeats the purpose of why you paid that much for them and having to unhook them to charge every time.

Other than that I do agree they look really nice.

22. UKinEK macrumors 6502

UKinEK

You mean, like people who DJed in the good old analog time, from lovely Technics MK 1200 series? Like people who compose music?

Of course AirPods do not have a low bass response, it would be pointless to have as you cannot hear it, you feel it from the huge speakers on decent loud volume.

Just read your article.
    - the bass experience varies by user.

And AirPods are not a studio headphones so I don’t care if you measure the parameters, what the numbers are. The only time I care for numbers, is, while mastering a track where the things can go seriously wrong and speakers go kaboom :)

How do I dare to say they have a decent bass?
    I listen to TIPPER :)
    His music is VERY bass demanding.
    When you listen to TIPPER - SCAPULA you may understand what I am talking about.

23. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Both AirPods for my wife and mine have reached their 2 year Battery obsolescence like everybody eventuality will experience.

I have drop offs when in group online meetings that are beyond annoying. Especially when I’m hosting. I need more than 15 minutes of usage, even switching to alternate charge.

So I’m supporting Air.Wear Battery backup & charger for The AirPods.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/air-wear-the-smallest-wearable-airpod-charger/x/1772893#/

Coming out in March, JIT (just in time) for the AirPods 2, or whenever they are released.

Actually, I now don’t care even if it has a shiny black whatever or ships in whenever.

The real problem is the battery. So get used to tossing them after 2 years or hand them down.

Or just get Air.Wear

24. PickUrPoison, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:28 PM

PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

The info you’re after is in a previous MacRumors story, linked in the last page of this article. From that earlier article about AirPods being found in a regulatory database:

25. twolf2919 macrumors member

Well, it could be longer battery life and/or noise cancelling...or a host of other improvements that aren't design or audio-performance related.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:19 PM ---
    This was just a couple days before leaving for China, so going online wasn't an option (besides, I did check Amazon and there were no AirPods available - at least not list price).