Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacQork

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2017
It's always fun to see people judging EarPods/AirPods for quality and say they've "heard so much better". It's so obvious everyone's just jumping on the bandwagon.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Until there’s a way to adjust volume from the AirPods themselves (not Siri - I am talking about tapping or sliding your finger on the AirPods) I am not interested.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Never tried the air pods, just remember a few of the lukewarm reviews on their "okay" sound quality and low battery life for a bluetooth headset when they first released so I just passed on them.

So I was surprised when I started seeing them EVERYWHERE. It's crazy how fast they caught on for a $159 bluetooth headset.

The trendy look + wireless convenience + charging case + Apple recognition really made these things blow up like crazy despite the okay sound quality and battery life (from what I heard).

It’s the pleasure of no cords at all. Nothing to get caught on, nothing rubbing my neck, nothing tugging at my ears. It’s also so easy to start listening. Just put them in, and they’re already on and paired and ready to go.

It’s amazing how pleasurable it is not to have to deal with anything. It’s really to only thing Apple’s released in a long time that just makes me happy every time I use it. Everything just works.

DavidMalcolm

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
Apple needs to stop raising their prices on accessories! A 40 dollar increase in USD might not seem like much, but that's more than 60 more CND! They seriously should be looking at lowering their margins in some countries that have weaker dollars compared to the USD.

roblognick

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Oh my God the wait on these things is killing me. I've wanted AirPods ever since the next version was announced so I held out, I bought another wireless charging solution for watch, phone and a spare spot for AirPods should they be released. With Apple Watch Series 4 I finally went with a cellular version thinking AirPods would be the perfect companion. Spring 2019 though. That could be anywhere in March, April, May or June!

I hope black versions are real though.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Apple won’t sell the first GEN AirPods alongside the second GEN AirPods. Why? Because they want the consumer to buy their newest product, by offering an older accessory to the first GEN AirPods, that will just detract away from sales. The first Gen AirPods will likely be discontinued.

Uhhh not necessarily lmao.

They sell the old and new Apple TV. Old and new iPhones.

I mean all the Beats products are always up to date, but we’ll see.
[doublepost=1549898260][/doublepost]
They should be $99, then maybe I'll bite.

Why sell them for $99 when people are absolutely eating them up at $159? You don’t want to spend $60 extra dollars on them? Lol.

Also, these AirPods memes are driving sales even higher.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Old and new iPhones..

If you read further, I explained to another member why your comparison isn’t relevant from an iPhone to the AirPods. Two different products that are not mutually exclusive. Either way, I don’t forsee Apple offering the first Gen AirPods next to the second Gen, especially if they don’t lower the price.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
If you read further, I explained to another member why your comparison isn’t relevant from an iPhone to the AirPods. Two different products that are not mutually exclusive. Either way, I don’t forsee Apple offering the first Gen AirPods next to the second Gen, especially if they don’t lower the price.

I know. I just threw that in for color. Hence why I mentioned Beats and the Apple TV for the main focus.

I can personally see them selling both.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
it would make perfect sense to keep the current ones around at the same price and introduce a new version at a higher price where they can actually meet demand.

If Apple does raise the price for the second Gen AirPods, it’s possible they could retain the first Gen AirPods to off-set an option to the consumer for a ‘Cheaper’ model, if they don’t raise the raise the price for the second Gen AirPods And They start at $160.00, there is _zero_ logic to keep the first Gen AirPods in their line up. It depends on whatever these Gen 2 Airpods offer in tech/features.

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
Apple needs to stop raising their prices on accessories! A 40 dollar increase in USD might not seem like much, but that's more than 60 more CND! They seriously should be looking at lowering their margins in some countries that have weaker dollars compared to the USD.
Guess they should stop improving and adding features too. You’re getting health monitoring and wireless charging and balking at a price increase.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
If the 2nd AirPod is going to cost around $200, I have to try one out to see if the music will be comparable to other headphones at that price range.

You will undoubtedly be able to buy better sounding headphones for $200. For myself, I have multiple wired and bluetooth headphones around that $200-250 price that easily sound better than my AirPods. But, AirPods are by far the headphones that I use most often, on a daily basis. Being able to slip them out of my pocket, and into my ears without flipping any switches or turning anything on, and put them away just as easily (thanks to that W1 chip), is just too convenient. While they don't sound as good as my others, they are more than good enough for the size and convenience. Personally, I may not upgrade to this gen since I've only owned mines for a few months.

The only thing on my wish list is being able to adjust the volume on the earbud itself with some sort of tap or gesture, without needing to use Siri. That would make me upgrade.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
AirPods have always been hard to get, but it's getting ridiculous! We just went to China to visit in-laws and had to bring some Apple goodies (a tradition of sorts for us) - this year it was to be AirPods. Went to 2 Apple stores (TWICE!) but didn't have any!. Then we tried Target - nada - and a couple Walmarts. We finally got lucky because the person at the second Walmart was on the phone with a dude in a third and asked them for us. Turned out that one had 5 pairs left. We snarfed up 3.

My AirPods are going on 2 years now and I've definitely noticed reduced charge on the pods - I barely get an hour out of them when, I think, it used to be 2. Might just have to bequeath them to my daughter once the new ones come out :)

Yeah I just checked all Houston stores and they state 2/22 as being available. Weird.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
You will undoubtedly be able to buy better sounding headphones for $200. For myself, I have multiple wired and bluetooth headphones around that $200-250 price that easily sound better than my AirPods. But, AirPods are by far the headphones that I use most often, on a daily basis. Being able to slip them out of my pocket, and into my ears without flipping any switches or turning anything on, and put them away just as easily (thanks to that W1 chip), is just too convenient. While they don't sound as good as my others, they are more than good enough for the size and convenience. Personally, I may not upgrade to this gen since I've only owned mines for a few months.

The only thing on my wish list is being able to adjust the volume on the earbud itself with some sort of tap or gesture, without needing to use Siri. That would make me upgrade.
No doubt this is ideal for iPhone users for all-around general use. One thing I learned about having AirPods, don't lose the earpiece. My teen kid lost one inside the house and I used the Find My Iphone to try to locate it to no avail (did not hear beeping go off maybe battery too low to emit) and look all around 3X. What to do? Buy a replacement ear piece or buy whole new AirPod? So I bought a replacement ear piece and it cost a lot. For me, at that price for AirPod, I will choose another brand (over the head) or go wired to listen to music.

Don1985

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2017
Paisley
AirPods really are great. They never fall out my ears, I’ve used them for hours every day for two years and they’re only now losing battery life. I use them for calls in work and the gym so likely 25 hours per week.

I’d likely buy gen 2 and for the price per hour of use would be worth it.

Possibly my favourite ever apple product, I rave about them to anyone that asks, which is quite a lot of people!

coolerkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2015
Hopefully they will have a significant sound quality improvement and better isolation. The current ones sound absolutely awful. Anyone praising their sound quality has never listened to a good quality headphone before. Improving the bass at the least would help, as they have none.

You also can't listen to them in loud environments without the ambient noise drowning the sound out, which makes them impractical for flying too. They could improve that by adding noise cancelation.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Hopefully they will have a significant sound quality improvement and better isolation. The current ones sound absolutely awful. Anyone praising their sound quality has never listened to a good quality headphone before. Improving the bass at the least would help, as they have none.

You also can't listen to them in loud environments without the ambient noise drowning the sound out, which makes them impractical for flying too. They could improve that by adding noise cancelation.

Lol, 99% of the customers have never heard quality headphones before, including myself even though I don't shy away from spending money on speakers. I just... have never wanted them? I actually would like to own a pair now.

Anyway, AirPods sound a lot better than EarPods or typical earbuds IMO, I was pleasantly surprised. Most customers won't have a clue what higher quality would sound like. This is also the reason why, judging from your comment, AirPods 2 won't satisfy your needs.

And yeah, open-back designs don't isolate well... I got Shure SE215 BT1s for that.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Why MOST IMPORTANT info is absent?:
Will they support Bluetooth 5 ... as last iPhones do? (More data, longer range, reduced consumption).
I don't understand poor attention on this "detail", when the product is a Bluetooth connected device. Well... perhaps a matte finish is what AirPods users need mostly, I suppose o_O

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
These couldn't come any quicker, my day 1 AirPods are barely holding battery anymore and are really finicky at charging. I've been holding out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.