Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
Fair point. I'm a developer, so I def use the product much more than normal people -- sorry if I didn't make that clear. Regardless of my use case the **** shouldn't fail in a couple years. Don't make me create a list of apple products that have failed on me. I've probably got $40k+ in apple purchases in the last 12 years.
[automerge]1584586906[/automerge]

Not accurate, more like $60k+. My trashcan Mac Pro was $7k alone after upgrades..
iPhone 6 was the ultimate piece of garbage.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I’m going to assume the new models have increased rigidity from all the bending issues the previous model had. Waiting for a tear down to show some internal bracing making this much more solid.
kind of similar to the iPhone 6 bending problem was fixed with the 6s.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Fair point. I'm a developer, so I def use the product much more than normal people -- sorry if I didn't make that clear. Regardless of my use case the **** shouldn't fail in a couple years. Don't make me create a list of apple products that have failed on me. I've probably got $40k+ in apple purchases in the last 12 years.
[automerge]1584586906[/automerge]

Not accurate, more like $60k+. My trashcan Mac Pro was $7k alone after upgrades..

I'm also a developer. Touch wood, all my Apple devices are all still fine. I use my iPad a huge amount when I'm dealing with production issues. My 7+ is doing fine, as is my personal 2015 MBP and my work 2018 one.

Reactions: albebaubles

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
iPhone 6 was the ultimate piece of garbage.

I’m going to assume the new models have increased rigidity from all the bending issues the previous model had. Waiting for a tear down to show some internal bracing making this much more solid.

And yet my 6 works just fine. Does everything, never bends.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Nah. S20U handles apps like a champ. Even has got an option to "pin" an app and not have it closed. My XS Max can barely hold Youtube and Twitter open simultaneously.
That’s just untrue Regarding the iPhone.
[automerge]1584591015[/automerge]
Android devices have much more advanced OS that let the users run multiple apps comfortably just like on a desktop. Samsung's DeX is an example. That said, most of this RAM is used by the apps not by OS. What we have is that the apps on Samsung phones have more memory in their disposal than the apps on iPad Pros which are supposed to be used for productivity.
Nothing about hardware specs makes an OS more advanced. Apple’s apps are far better overall.

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
iOS is getting bloated and needs this ram.

The additional RAM has nothing to do with iOS bloat, but with more powerful apps needing that RAM. If you want to use the iPad Pro for video editing, or image manipulation, etc, you’re gonna need the RAM. No amount of OS optimization is going to help when you’re dealing with 4K video

Reactions: XD_Goulart

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The more I look at this in profile, the more I think we're looking at the next iMac.

new-ipad-pro.jpg

Scale the iPad's squared out body up to 27" and have it floating on an arm and base like the new iPad keyboard, with ports on either side. This floating arrangement would make it possible to lower the screen to an angled drawing position with Pencil support.

Whether the next iMac is even a Mac or if it's instead a desktop iPad running iPad OS with this new touchpad cursor system, is another point entirely.

wouwout

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Sydney
just curious, JP Morgan is expecting a -20% drop in global GDP in Q2. Will Apple's price range finally prove too much? It's not a good time to splurge on a $350 keyboard, is it?

Reactions: agsystems

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
6GB still isn’t enough IMO. My 10.5 IPP constantly reloads tabs in Safari.

This is a mystery, because the iPad should be using storage as cache. There's no reason for Safari to reload the tab from network...unless it's running in a no-cache mode.

I could see Apple making Safari run with no local cache because storage is hard to manage on the iPad. However, you should be able to set aside X amount of storage for a Safari cache...especially if you tend to have lots of available storage. Maybe there's an issue with flash wear?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I actually got the 1TB 11” ipad pro in 2018 because back then you couldn’t connect an external HD to ipads. But I was glad about the 6GB of ram.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This is a mystery, because the iPad should be using storage as cache. There's no reason for Safari to reload the tab from network...unless it's running in a no-cache mode.

Why would you want to wear out your NAND storage since it has finite write endurance compared to infinite endurance for DRAM? 6GB DRAM is embarrassing for a $999 device when, for example, the $999 Pixel Go has 16GB DRAM.

Reactions: amartinez1660

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I have my 2018 iPad Pro and thinking about upgrading. Can anybody confirm that the new iPad will give me a lot of flexibility just like the one I own (mine can fold in half)?
Just for me to understand, why would you "upgrade"?
I am curious what are the exact features that attract you and you actually need?
I also have a 2018 iPad pro and I was interested in the new model but I don't really have a use case for the camera upgrade, cpu upgrade.
Display is not such a big upgrade to make it worth....

I am interested maybe in the trackpad but that is compatible with 2018 ipad pro however it's on the ridiculously expensive side....

I am not judging... just asking why would you spend 1K+ USD on it?

• Angry
Reactions: XD_Goulart

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Bending is not an issue. If someone tries to prove their enormous strength by bending an iPhone, let them bend it and pay for a new one. If someone tries to prove their enormous strength by putting their iPhone in a back pocket, sitting down, and putting the full weight of their arse on the phone, let them bend it and pay for a new one. For normal people there has never been an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.