All Three 2017 iPhones Predicted to Have 3GB of RAM and Lightning Connectors With Faster Charging

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
The iPhone Jet Black looks so good in promotional photos, but in real life, it looks like a cheap 8 year old iPhone 3G enlarged. The smudges make it worse.
Theres no more smudge on the other side that is glass than the side that is JB. At least half of every iPhone in this world is being smudged up as much as JB so what is it with the dramatic complaints?

aaronhead14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
They do work together. And Apple made it clear that their connector strategy is Thunderbolt for Mac and Lightning for iOS.
Pretty sure the article says its a lightning to USB C cable for the next iPhone...meaning it would be perfectly compatible with the new laptops...aka not a mess...???
Why do people like you enjoy defending the dumb things that Apple does?? It doesn't make sense to me.

We, the consumers, lose when Apple's priority is to put propriety crap above the consumer's convenience.

Do you really deny that a USB-C iPhone is better than a Lightning iPhone? Because it would be objectively better, no debate. People could actually use corded headphones across devices again, oh my!

star_nerdy

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
No, no, no, no, no! Apple, you can't keep using Lightning. Use USB-C, for goodness sake! Make your products work together without annoying your customers!
Says someone who buyed into the hype. PCs don't come standard with USB-C connectors. Most Mac customers still have regular USB so...I don't see Apple switching to USB-C for at least 1-2 years.

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
This is not enough for me to upgrade, my 6s already gets me through the entire day without issue and I always charge it overnight. So a faster charger is not a huge selling point. Also I don't need 3GB of ram, 2 is more than enough on my 6s.

s1m

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Why do people like you enjoy defending the dumb things that Apple does?? It doesn't make sense to me.

We, the consumers, lose when Apple's priority is to put propriety crap above the consumer's convenience.

Do you really deny that a USB-C iPhone is better than a Lightning iPhone? Because it would be objectively better, no debate. People could actually use corded headphones across devices again, oh my!
But some people don't use corded headphones. I haven't used them in years. So the ability to use corded headphones brings me zero utility.

On the flip side I have two types of cables micro-USB (for charging things like headphones) and lightning. I have cables in many different places - cars, office, home office, bedroom and garage - probably 10-15 cables. A switch to USB C means I have to replace all of those cables - a huge inconvenience.

aaronhead14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
They're going to keep Lightning because it's the best way ensure that "products work together" for their customers and they're going to add USB-C, but only to the USB-A end of the cable and PSU.
So basically anyone who wants to use corded headphones across devices will STILL need adapters. Dumb!

This is 2017. Come on. If we're going to continue without the headphone jack, great! It's an old, analog technology that should be replaced by something digital. USB-C is the best candidate. It'd work for charging AND as a headphone jack, AND it'd be available to use across devices. Lighting doesn't cut it! It's not a universal connector!

star_nerdy

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
With how much storage has come down can't they just go 64/128/256? Even 64/128 eliminating a model. I can't really imagine many people really needing 256GB on a smartphone especially with so much cloud app access these days.
256gb isn't needed. But some people take a ton of photos and video, don't plug their phones into computers and don't pay for cloud storage.

It seems like everyone uses cloud storage, but that's because you're a nerd and on a tech blog. We all do, but there are millions of people who don't have the slightest idea of how to backup their photos and don't know what the cloud is beyond it's on the internet so they don't trust it.

Plus, you know there is one ******* on Apple's design team that uses their iPhone all day for 4k video and has terabytes of video on his computer and bitches about how there is never enough space.

aaronhead14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
But some people don't use corded headphones. I haven't used them in years. So the ability to use corded headphones brings me zero utility.
Yeah, except that the sound quality of corded headphones is 100x superior.

A switch to USB C means I have to replace all of those cables - a huge inconvenience.
A small inconvenience for a large convenience in the long run. Universal cables for everything, what an ideal situation!

Reactions: jb-net

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
And yet the iPhone 7 beats both the S7 and S8 in real-world and benchmark tests...what's your point here? You want more RAM just so you can say you have more?
Don't compare it to other devices. Compare it to your own. Only case that comes to mind how people inquired about how the iPad Air (1) would have to reload apps and Safari tabs, where then folks suggested getting an Ipad Air 2. It has 2 GB of RAM vs. Ipad Air's 1 GB. In that case, having more RAM would've helped out with those issues.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Mobile data is expensive and not enough wifi. Infrastructure just isn't here yet to be able to rely on 'the cloud'.

With how much storage has come down can't they just go 64/128/256? Even 64/128 eliminating a model. I can't really imagine many people really needing 256GB on a smartphone especially with so much cloud app access these days.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
The extra RAM would be a nice addition. I'm intending to move back to the smaller 4'7 iPhone myself this next go around.

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Don't care to upgrade until I can use USB-C noise-cancelling headphones directly with the phone and no dongles. Until then

Reactions: jb-net

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
Anything to make charging quicker is always welcome. I suspect 3GB of ram is unlikely considering we have not long moved to 2.
Apple went from 128mb (3G) to 256mb (3GS) to 512mb (4) in 3 consecutive generations and then to 1GB Two gens later

No unprecedented for them to add ram after having "not long moved" to another configuration

6s and 7 would be 2 gens of 2GB

Though 2GB doesn't seem to be a limiting factor for iOS right now like 1GB was when the 6/6+ came out

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Sometimes, albeit very rarely, my iPhone 7 Plus seems like it would benefit from 4 gigs of RAM. It's a shame the next Plus won't have 4GB.

Also, most people don't understand what the rumor was. It was never that Apple was replacing lightning with USB-C, rather that the other end of the cable would be upgraded from USB-A to USB-C for connectivity.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I'd love to see the stats on whose using corded USB-C headphones currently to make this claim even remotely relevant.

So basically anyone who wants to use corded headphones across devices will STILL need adapters. Dumb!

This is 2017. Come on. If we're going to continue without the headphone jack, great! It's an old, analog technology that should be replaced by something digital. USB-C is the best candidate. It'd work for charging AND as a headphone jack, AND it'd be available to use across devices. Lighting doesn't cut it! It's not a universal connector!
Anybody who needs to use USB-C audio will still be using adapters across a multitude of devices, for years to come.

There's no need to adopt a new wired standard at the moment, when I can't even quickly find a USB-C cable in my workplace campus of over 5,000 employees, much less 3AM at the local 7-11, if my life depended on it.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Dude, screw Lightning. It was a good concept, horribly executed. Here I am wishing my iPhone 6 at least had micro USB 2.0 so it would charge reliably.