All Three 2017 iPhones Predicted to Have 3GB of RAM and Lightning Connectors With Faster Charging

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
There's no need to adopt a new wired standard at the moment, when I can't even quickly find a USB-C cable in my workplace campus of over 5,000 employees, much less 3AM at the local 7-11, if my life depended on it.
You can't find a USB-C cable in a work place of 5 000 employees..... right....

I'm 95% mac and I've got about 4 in my desk.

Though I also struggle with my IT supplies at 3am at a 7-11......though my chances for getting a cable for an "android" device that uses USB-C is far greater than cables for an apple device .

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Makes no sense. You'd lose the compatibility with thousands of accessories in exchange of... nothing.
Good that you can see other peoples world view, and not just your own.

I don't own a single Lightning accessory, and given that I can buy about 400 different Lightning speakers, and 7000 different docks, and odds are I can get at least one of each with a USB-C connector as soon as the phone is released, your argument is completely irrelevant. Oh wait, USB-C is a standard, and I can already get hundreds of different accessories of each!

Dude if u r upgrading from 4S why won't u go big and get the iPhone 8 u waited for a long time u should treat your self with the best
Price. I have no need to pay twice the amount of money, to get a phone that does the exactly the same, but has a slightly better screen and the newest design.

What if it's USB-C to lightning? Will you compromise with an iPhone 7?
I will consider that, but likely not, but in the end it depends on the iPhone 6s/7 price difference.

I am done having a hundred different chargers, now that my Macbook has an international standard in USB-C. With a new Lightning iPhone I can use the same charger, but i would still require two different cables.

I just came back from a short vacation, and having to bring a charger for the Macbook (USB-C), one for my girlfriends Macbook Pro (Magsafe), one for her eBook (µUSB - Okay, we didn't bring that one due to the excellent battery, but the argument remains), one for my iPhone (Old wide plug), one for her iPhone (Lightning) and one for my shaver (Some proprietary one). Its so ridiculous! :(

It seems like iPhone 6s for you it is. Though I have absolutely no idea why on earth anyone would choose it before a much more up to date phone (except price) But again, considering you are using an iPhone 4s, it should not be surprising.
Price. As mentioned above, I don't care about paying 500$ for having a slightly better screen and the newest design.

Jsameds

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2008
Or you have to buy another connector not supplied with the iPhone or new MacBook Pro. Call it a dongle or adaptor, whatever : they do not connect out of the box which doesn't say much for good integration of Apple products.
Can you tell me how, without wasting money, you keep all of your products cross compatible with each other when moving from one connector to another when they are all updated at different times?

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Fast charging is needed
A decent battery is needed so you don't need to "fast charge" every few minutes. I'm ok charging it overnight even every night if the damned thing would just last through the day. Not holding my breath waiting for it though.
[doublepost=1492070995][/doublepost]If they actually came up with one model with decent enough battery I'd be happy. I'd just expect with my luck it would be the top model and cost upwards to $2000 in the end. And no, I'm not paying that much for ANY phone. Fast charging is more of a gimmick for me, the biggest problem is that I need to be able to use my phone for extended times in situations where there is no power socket available.

WalterTizzano

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2014
**Looks at new MBP's**... Hmm.. what were you saying about thunderbolt?
The new Macbook has Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt 3 uses USB 3 Type C connector.
Anyway I'm totally against USB on the iPhone: it's a bigger, more fragile connector, much better to stick with lightening, and removing it altogether when wireless charging is fast and reliable enough.

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
Good grief. That is incidental. That is not what "Increased RAM means".

The move to 3 GB of RAM for the entire line is likely related to the 3D camera system we've been hearing about. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
It may be necessary to some other features of iOS 11 we don't yet know about
3D is a possibility, there may be more

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Or you have to buy another connector not supplied with the iPhone or new MacBook Pro. Call it a dongle or adaptor, whatever : they do not connect out of the box which doesn't say much for good integration of Apple products.
My point was for those people that still connect their iOS devices to their computer (myself included), they can get a new cable which I would imagine they would already be doing if they're getting a USB-C only computer.
But as for working out of the box, unless they were to include 'legacy' I/O (which I think we all want), they can't win. Ship iPhone 7 with a USB-C cable and get the complaints that it won't work with your current computer (including, at the time, the Mac lineup with the exception of the 12" MacBook), or include a USB-A cable and get the complaints that you can't plug it in to your MacBook Pro out of the box.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
They need to put something in he 4,7" model. It's already basically an iPhone 6 with gradually improved specs.

Jaaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Slight increase of stats... nothing more. Am I the only here yearning for some real innovation coming from the company that boasts about being all about ”dramatic, purposeful, refined, unique” innovation?

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
if they are going to get rid of the headphone jack, they might as well get rid of stupid lightening and go all in on USB C.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
You can't find a USB-C cable in a work place of 5 000 employees..... right....

I'm 95% mac and I've got about 4 in my desk.

Though I also struggle with my IT supplies at 3am at a 7-11......though my chances for getting a cable for an "android" device that uses USB-C is far greater than cables for an apple device .
Yes. USB-C is nowhere near as standard as lightening. I can forget my cable and there will be 10 different people in my area alone that would have a cable I could borrow. Not one person on my floor of 50 people have a USB C cable in the office. Why would they? We're a PC shop and most of the personal Macs I've seen people bring in are the Air or MBPs and not the new crappy 2016 versions.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple should bring STANDARD ports to all devices. That means USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps) and Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps). Stop using proprietary ports!

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Tim Cook loves people like you. Just keep sending money to his way :)
This might come as a shocker but most people here upgrade every two years. I actually also had an iPhone 6 Plus and 6S Plus in the time between the 6 and 7. The 6 was the only one I bought new, the rest were second hand. So yeah, Tim hates people like me :D

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes. USB-C is nowhere near as standard as lightening. I can forget my cable and there will be 10 different people in my area alone that would have a cable I could borrow. Not one person on my floor of 50 people have a USB C cable in the office. Why would they? We're a PC shop and most of the personal Macs I've seen people bring in are the Air or MBPs and not the new crappy 2016 versions.
this is true

in my office there are quite a few lightening cables to go around as a lot use iPhone's. luckily the guy i work with has an HTC 9 and uses USB type C but they are quite rare in day to day office workers. At least for now

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
AirPods have a 24 hour charging case. It takes 15 minutes to charge them sufficiently for 3 more hours use. A pair of fully charged AirPods and case, will last 5 hours without a charge, and the remaining hour of that 6 hour flight with only a 15 minute interruption, or trip to the bathroom. Or no interruption at all if one AirPod is charged at a time. All said, those AirPods and case will get the user 29 hours use, with only 2 hours total downtime.
When I flew Chicago to Frankfurt last year, and had a baby in the seat behind me crying the entire time with two parents who were oblivious to me, 15 minutes without music to drown out that little ****er would have been unacceptable. Thankfully, that wasn't a problem since I was able to plug headphones in.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Why would type C on the phone be stupid? The 3.5 mm jack is being replaced by type C as a standard so you could use wired headphones universally again. You could use any wire to charge your phone because all chargers would use type C.
Is it possible to use a type C headphone and charge the phone at the same time? Perhaps with some sort of dongle? If not, lack of a headphone jack is still a step backward.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Says someone who buyed into the hype. PCs don't come standard with USB-C connectors. Most Mac customers still have regular USB so...I don't see Apple switching to USB-C for at least 1-2 years.
Actually, the Dell XPS 13 I bought in January includes a USB C port, as well as USB 2 and 3 ports. The main port missing is the RJ45 ethernet port, and I at times miss that. I suspect more and more new PCs will come with USB C.