Alleged Leaked CAD Image Suggests 'iPad mini 5' Will Just Be a Specs Bump

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Serial tech leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer (@OnLeaks) claims to have received an alleged CAD rendering of Apple's so-called "iPad mini 5," rumored to be launching in the Spring.

Hemmerstoffer has yet to share the image, but assuming the leak is legit, he says it suggests there will be no major design changes to the next-generation iPad mini, save for a "relocated mic, centered on the upper back panel."

Suggestions that the new iPad mini will look virtually the same as the last model is likely to disappoint some fans of Apple's smaller form factor tablet who may have been hoping for an iPad Pro-style redesign with Face ID and an edge-to-edge display.

However, today's development is in line with multiple reliable sources that claim Apple will release a new version of the iPad mini with affordability in mind, suggesting only upgraded internal specs and a lower-cost display panel in a similarly sized chassis. The 7.9-inch tablet is also expected to continue to have a Lightning connector, Touch ID, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Just got my hands on alleged #iPadMini5 CAD. If legit (can't vouch at 100%), there is indeed (just as rumored) no external design changes (except of relocated mic, centered on upper back panel). In short, it will very likely be a specs bump only update... pic.twitter.com/z5XuBKZVmN - Steve H.McFly (@OnLeaks) February 19, 2019

On the upside, details gleamed from an iOS developer beta could hint that Apple's new iPad mini will feature support for the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard.

Rumors have suggested both a new iPad mini 5 and an updated iPad will launch in early 2019, and we've seen signs of them in iOS 12.2 and through registration with the Eurasian Economic Commission.

Based on recent years, it's natural to speculate that Apple will announce the iPad mini 5 at its rumored March 25 event, however reports claim Apple's event will be services-focused, suggesting any hardware updates may come in the form of a press release or at another event further down the line.

Article Link: Alleged Leaked CAD Image Suggests 'iPad mini 5' Will Just Be a Specs Bump

xDKP

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Seems like a missed opportunity with the mini... Would love one with updated design and specs for a reasonable price... A pretty good travel companion for both my days on the road with work and in planes etc.

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
I think that's ok, as long as the price is kept low. Make it affordable and it is going to be a great entry level. I'd buy it as a test device and even for media consumption, bigger than the iPhone (and with a better aspect ratio) and easier to hold than the regular size iPad. I'd be ok with an A10 or A11

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
I wouldn’t buy an iPad unless it were comparable to my iPhone and could pair an Apple Watch. I would never want to feel like I’d have to carry both an iPad and iPhone.
Why would you want to pair an iPad to an Apple Watch?
And no, the iPad has its own uses, it’s not a glorified iPhone, as much as you’d like to believe that.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
When you have a "good" product or one that is "good enough" considering the available universe of possible changes, why change it a lot? The incremental updates are likely to focus on real world needs to justify updating from 2-3 generations before for frequent users of pads. I am not one of them. I have an iPad but mostly use a Mac or an iPhone. No watch.

masterell

macrumors regular
May 13, 2009
Am I the only one who was really hoping for an edge to edge display in this? I suppose they wouldn't want to comprimise the price in order to stick in a Face ID module. The mini is the perfect size IMO anything bigger is a bit of a pain to travel with.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Why would you want to pair and iPad to an Apple Watch?
And no, the iPad has its own uses, it’s not a glorified iPhone, as much as you’d like to believe that.
If the Apple Watch becomes even more powerful and independent (which seems inevitable) - maybe in near future one could, for example, choose to only have an iPad and Apple Watch?

Actually I already use my XS Max more like a small iPad than a phone (I rarely call anyone, prefer mail/whatsapp). :)

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
hey, we will not change the iPad mini design at all.
Let’s make sure we have an actual iPad mini 5 CAD.
iPad mini 4 copy, paste, rename to iPad mini 5.

Do you honestly think anyone in Apple would bother to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.