Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
The top notch Cutout looks ugly. Apple could embrace the top notch visually or attempt to blend it with an on-screen status bar as shown on left image.
4F11F076-3583-4766-A2F3-38C9B0F3A0EE.jpeg

Last edited:

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
So pricing goes ridiculous high because of a screen? lol fkn mobile companies

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
The top notch Cutout looks ugly. Apple could embrace the top notch visually or attempt to blend it with an on-screen status bar as shown on left image.
View attachment 715771
Sure looks good with black bezel, but if the front is white for the silver/cooper model. You won't be able to blend it like the left image.

So for uniformity, they will just leave the notch all showing on all 3 models

Last edited:

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
Hmm..is it only me who sees the screen of this "iPhone" to be running at 120hz? Could be legit in that case..

Reactions: Precursor

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Sure looks good with black bezel, but if the front is white for the white/cooper model. You won't be able to blend it like the left image.

So for uniformity, they will just leave the notch all showing on all 3 models
There is no white front iPhone so your point is invalid

Reactions: Izauze

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
You're arguing with history, when was last time Apple released a silver model with a black front...
Apple Watch Series 0
Apple Watch Series 1
Apple Watch Series 2
Apple Watch Series 3
iPhone X
[doublepost=1504493938][/doublepost]This is a good fake. They wouldn't have that app updated to this device. Moreover the thin bar is identical to one suggested by a concept artist and it goes away within the app which makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: Appleaker

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
This is a good fake. They wouldn't have that app updated to this device. Moreover the thin bar is identical to one suggested by a concept artist and it goes away within the app which makes absolutely no sense.

I noticed the same thing. How do you go back to the home screen if the bar is gone? And why did they blur everything??

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Yikes, the notch looks even worse in the dark. I feel like something is covering a portion of the screen, even if there isn't really "screen" there.

Not a deal breaker for me, but I would be much happier if the top corners remain black to blend in.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Yikes, the notch looks even worse in the dark. I feel like something is covering a portion of the screen, even if there isn't really "screen" there.

Not a deal breaker for me, but I would be much happier if the top corners remain black to blend in.
My personal assertion is that anyone of above average IQ agrees with you. The corners should be black, absolutely always. I mean forget that it looks god awful, uses more battery, and offers absolutely no benefit, but look at that in the dark there, it is honestly incredibly distracting to the viewing experience. Your eyes are drawn to it because of the inconsistency in uniformity.

I believe most of what Gurman reports because he has incredible accuracy due to legit sources, but I will NOT believe Apple is coloring in the corners until I see it. It goes against so many aspects of Apple's philosophies in design.

So I just looked at it again and I actually laughed....that's how jarring it is in the dark.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
IMG_3470.JPG
Look at how terrible both of these concepts are. It's crazy to have evidence of a human mind thinking that Apple will curve the top and bottom corners of the main display area with different radii (left image). And if Apple colors in the top corners I'll have officially given up on their design team.

How will it actually be in my mind? See where the corners of the display just begin to curve? Instead of curving, the display will be square on all 4 corners, but just because the curved corners of the display will be perpetually black. This gives the status bar at the top, and Home bar at the bottom perpetual black backgrounds, but they will still be used with content inside the black backgrounds. This gets you symmetry in design, a hidden notch, and no display showing rounded corners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starfyre

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

I’d be happier if Apple adhered to symmetry basics in design. I can understand wanting something immediately recognizable like a home button as a design cue, but I’m not sure obstructing part of the display makes the most sense.

I guess we’ll see next week but I’m definitely concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.