Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
Would be amazing if they change the 'default' orientation to landscape and moved the front facing camera.
Many of you want to make the iPad more PCish while Apple tries to carry features from the PC while not losing iPad’s identity. And I think having portrait as default orientation is a big part of it. I can’t say exactly why, but it feels way less awkward to use it in landscape with the camera on portrait than the other way.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Would be amazing if they change the 'default' orientation to landscape and moved the front facing camera.
This probably deserves a poll.
The amount of times I have used the iPad Pro 11" in portrait is probably zero (can’t remember doing that)... it’s always on a smart folio keyboard and used as such 99.9% of the time, rarely flipping back the keyboard for full tablet mode.

Mike_Trivisonno

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
Why Apple is happy to allow their products to be encased in 3rd party covers is mystifying. Why not release fully ruggedized versions of the iPad and iPhone specifically engineered by Apple to withstand harsh environments like construction sites and wilderness areas. They have a "Pro" line. Why not develop an "R" line for people who work in the real world?

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I wish that together with new cpu they also bumped ram to 8GB as I plan on using it as my main machine so its either this one with 512gb or Mbook Air next year when they refresh it. Oh and another usb-c or thunderbolt port to make it closer to being real pro in more regards.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There are limits to this over sized iPhone no matter how Apple pushes and markets it, It will NEVER be a computer.

But it is though. When you incorporate the smart keyboard and Apple Pencil, you’re telling everyone in here that’s it not a computer? Sure, there’s things that others might need to use on a desktop computer, but the iPad is very much a computer in and out, and a massive tool even in education segment, where it’s is replaced laptops just as one example.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
The camera bump is so annoying when you're using the iPad flat on the desk.
Huh. This got a good laugh out of me; I didn’t think literally anyone used their iPad flat…on a desk.

Maybe if their answer to a keyboard+trackpad didn’t cost $300? But with AirPods Max having just come out, I’ve lost hope in the idea of non-egregiously priced Apple products. It’s always been the name of the game.

(Save for the HomePod mini. I’ve got the full-size and the mini, can’t wholeheartedly recommend people spending $300 on the full-size unless they have money, but with the mini I’m just like—BUY IT! BUY TWO IF YOU CAN!!)

Anyway. It’d be nice to see a Pro upgrade, that’s another product of mine that’s…while certainly not failing, it’s aging, and I would love to see what kinda tech they put in the new-gen. LiDAR was tempting on the last upgrade but there was zero reason to upgrade besides that, lmao.

BlueCreek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
Is landscape FaceID still not a thing? I remember reading it but may have just been a rumour that never happened

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Are there actually any apps that take REAL advantage of the "Pro" model in ones every day work life? I feel like devs always optimise their apps for their LAST supported device in mind. For example, I am sure photoshop runs just as fine on the latest "iPad" as it does on the latest iPad Pro?

--

Also I wish they would move the front facing camera. In the past I did not use Facetime much but that has changed with the lockdowns and now I find it super irritating to do video calls on iPad, since you are not "centred" if you hold it in landscape mode.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Exactly - horses for courses. I mainly get by using my Ipad Pro, I use it every day, often for hours. My Macbook Pro sees usage every now and then, but absolutely not daily, sometimes it can be months between usage.
Chiming in as another whose daily driver is an iPad! Apple has laid out the tools necessary to turn this thing into fully-capable device if you need it and aren’t using it for a particularly intensive work purpose—but even then, one of my best friends does most of her work on an iPad (read: illustration/animation). Not even with an Apple Pencil. She’s in kind of a reverse situation because she’s had an MBP for a long time that she uses for communication since it has a proper keyboard and trackpad, and homegirl is not about to spend $300 on the Magic Keyboard.

The ”oversized iPhone” argument died years ago. People gotta get over it.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
My iPad Pro 12.9" 1st gen still doing great. I don't see how folks make this their "computer". There are limits to this over sized iPhone no matter how Apple pushes and markets it, It will NEVER be a computer.

It definitely can be used as a computer now... I sold my old iPad Air and MacBook Pro and opted for the iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard... reason being is that my MacBook barely got used, but that’s me... every use case is different.

But for a large majority an iPad is sufficient as a laptop alternative now.

tfresquezdxs

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
East Coast, USA
I highly doubt that apple will only put 5G on the 12.9, they said only the pro’s like iPhones would get 5G and the pro max would only get mmWave, yet the whole line up of iPhone 12’s got full 5G support.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Apple has far surpassed the diminishing point of returns on iPad hardware. 2018 was the peak. To get those 2 years to upgrade in year 3 it is going to need some major software improvements, especially in light of the M1 Macs.

The 2018 pro's already have True Tone, 120Hz, A12X (Fast enough for every iPad app on the App Store and more), 4GB RAM (Again, enough for every iPad app in the store to operate normally), Apple Pencil support, keyboard/trackpad, USB-C. More than enough for any "pro" iPad user, and way over the top for any normal consumer.

To be honest, if apple slightly changes the dimensions of the 2021 pro I won't buy it, because their ridiculous $300 keyboard then becomes device specific again, and they are just trying to grab more $$$ on accessories.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I highly doubt that apple will only put 5G on the 12.9, they said only the pro’s like iPhones would get 5G and the pro max would only get mmWave, yet the whole line up of iPhone 12’s got full 5G support.
And they don't have to implement drivers etc for different chipsets. I'm willing to bet on that the whole Ipad Pro range will be 5G at the same time, with the rest of the range following suit.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Well, it is looking more and more like I won't be buying an 11" Pro any time soon. That's fine though, considering that with the Covid restrictions, I'm not carrying around the iPad Pro outside the home that much anymore. I'll just have to stick it out with my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5", which truthfully is still an excellent machine.

The main reasons I'd get an 2021 11" (or whatever the size would be) over a 2020 is the mini-LED display plus 5G, but the main reason I'd upgrade at all is for Face ID. Ironically though, I have Face ID on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and I wish it had Touch ID instead.

I use my iPad Pro at home, and Face ID would be perfect for that. I use my iPhone everywhere, and with mask wearing, Face ID is a real PITA. Touch ID on my 7 Plus was just so much more convenient.

Anyhow, it looks like Apple has supported two generations of the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboards, but may have to update to a new model of the Magic Keyboard in 2021 for the new iPad Pros if this rumour is true.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Better chips are for people who actually use their devices.

A different design just to make the design different is for ... people who just like to talk about devices and have very loud opinions about everything they don’t know anything about.

Looking forward to replacing my original 9.7 inch iPad Pro. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.