Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I love the black iPhone 5! It looks so much better in the high resolution pictures. I think the white one is ugly.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Next thing to expect, the blackberries 10

blackberry-10-slider-concept.jpg

new-blackberry-10-physical-keyboard.jpg

Look at those beauties :D

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Apple had two choices... stick with the design people have been purchasing and selling out since the iphone 4, and keep majority of it's customers happy..

Or try to design every new device differently like Android. That's Android's issue. Every 3-6 months there's a new FLAGSHIP phone. Me personally I like the idea of uniformed phones. Sure now mine is taller than everyone elses, but when I had a 4s, I didn't look at other people and say "Ha! I got the 4s, you got a 4" without asking which model.

So saying a phone that is technically simular with more than enough features [4G, tweet/facebook from Notification Center, Siri Sports Score & being able to shoot video and capture pictures without paying for an app] was enough to do me justice and purchase it.

----------

Next thing to expect, the blackberries 10

Look at those beauties :D

I personalyl havent seen anything uglier. But then again.. I owned the Blackberry Storm lol

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I didn't like the back at all during the leaks but now that we have some decent pictures of it it's not half bad.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
4S looks better IMO.

5 looks weird.

And those of you that watched the keynote, did you not find Apple's justification for the longer screen told by Phil Schiller completely absurd?

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I really don't like the 'two-tone' design on the back. Either have it ALL glass, or ALL aluminium. The design of the back looks very clumsy and very non-Apple.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Talk about disappointing! You would think because its apple the would have came out with a different design for the iPhone 5. All they did was elongate it and add different material for the backing! Its safe to say now that I've seen it I will be buying an iPhone 4S whenever I upgrade from my iPhone! Is it me or did they just break the chain in their design patterns? They usually come out with a new design completely for each model right??? Disappointing!!! Thats all I have to say!

Sorry but I totally disagree. Final judgement is of course reserved until I get one in my hands but from the pics the iPhone 5 is one of the best looking devices I've ever seen. Everything just seems to work really well together, the metal and glass complement each other nicely and as a piece of design it just feels... complete in a way that most devices don't. Just my opinion of course and that's the key, everyone has a different opinion when it comes to design but I don't think it's going to hurt sales one bit.

As for whether it's a new design, I'm really really tired of hearing this argument. It keeps the same design language of the 4 and 4S but of course it's a new design. Heck look at every iPhone face on, the design language hasn't changed since the original! Here, from the front: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4135/4868210585_3745216613_z.jpg

There's a change in materials but the front is almost identical over the years. Same for the back: http://stuffpoint.com/apple/image/56299-apple-iphone-family-line.jpg

Look at it this way, BMW have had a consistent design language for decades with certain elements almost always present over the years. Doesn't mean that a new 3 series isn't an all new design despite having similarities to the outgoing model. Or, for that matter and maybe more relevantly, think about the new Retina Macbook Pro. No-one's arguing that isn't a new design but it's clearly based on the existing Macbook design language. Same materials, same style of keyboard, same general look, totally different design.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I think it looks great. I didn't like it at first when I saw the leaked pics, but seeing it now, it really starts to grow on me. If I weren't stuck in a contract, I'd preorder it first thing on Friday.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
It still looks like the iphone 4S...Why cant you see that?

We can,we just aren't such superficial fashion freaks with ADD that we are horrified by seeing a beautiful design theme continued.
What the hell is with you people??Do you replace everything you own every twelve months because you need something different?Pretty much every product out there has a multiyear design cycle,Why can't you robots see that!!!

Phones are not fashion accessories.At least for sane people.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I really don't like the 'two-tone' design on the back. Either have it ALL glass, or ALL aluminium. The design of the back looks very clumsy and very non-Steve Jobs.

Fixed*

10char

----------

We can,we just aren't such superficial fashion freaks with ADD that we are horrified by seeing a beautiful design theme continued.
What the hell is with you people??Do you replace everything you own every twelve months because you need something different?Pretty much every product out there has a multiyear design cycle,Why can't you robots see that!!!

Phones are not fashion accessories.At least for sane people.

I'm not seeing the logic. People complained about the iphone being all glass.. They replaced the back glass [because obviously you can't replace the font] with ALUMINUM... Which doesnt crack.

A lot of folks chance it by not wearing a case to show off their phone.. cool but say it drops.. hits the ground.. That's LESS money you have to spend replacing the front AND back glass.. Shoot.. I'm all for it.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
LOL... here we go again :)
I think it's one of the best looking phones out there. It is solid, and the manufacturing video from the Keynote makes me realize just how much attention and thought they put into this thing. Which in turn will most likely mean that it's gonna be solid. And did you see the screen on that thing? The hands-on videos showed a fantastic screen. can't wait to get mine.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
OP: you are not the target market. Majority of the consumers they are targeting don't want their phone to change at all. They just want it to work.

Enthusiasts need to keep in perspective that they (we) are not the consumers that Apple is aiming to please.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Fixed*

10char

----------

I'm not seeing the logic. People complained about the iphone being all glass.. They replaced the back glass [because obviously you can't replace the font] with ALUMINUM... Which doesnt crack.

A lot of folks chance it by not wearing a case to show off their phone.. cool but say it drops.. hits the ground.. That's LESS money you have to spend replacing the front AND back glass.. Shoot.. I'm all for it.

It's nothing to do with Steve Jobs. Apple are known for their industrial design and I just don't think the two-tone back really fits with that image (in my humble opinion)

valypan

macrumors regular
May 21, 2002
Denmark
I really don't like the 'two-tone' design on the back. Either have it ALL glass, or ALL aluminium. The design of the back looks very clumsy and very non-Apple.

My thoughts exactly! It just looks inelegant, especially on the "white" iPhone (whatever is left of the white parts that is...). I have always bought a white iPhone and love the 4 especially, but iPhone 5 is really the ugliest white iPhone yet...I´ll probably upgrade to the 4S

----------

I think it looks great. I didn't like it at first when I saw the leaked pics, but seeing it now, it really starts to grow on me.

Something is wrong right here...in my opinion an Apple product is not supposed to "grow" on you. It´s supposed to wow so much that you can´t wait to get your hands on it from the first time you see it at the presentation video. The iPhone 5 is the first iPhone that left me indifferent in its design...

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
No different from saying the general aesthetic of the 3G is close to the original iPhone design. Chrome border and rounded design, as opposed to the stainless steel band and squarish design of the 4 and 5. One can go even further and say all the iPhone models to date look essentially identical from the front.

Original:
- chrome border
- rounded design
- metal backing

3G/3GS:
- chrome border
- rounded design
- plastic backing

4/4S:
- stainless steel band
- squarish design
- glass backing

5 (and likely 5S):
- stainless steel band
- squarish design
- metal backing

Thank you. You saved me the trouble of having to type all of this out.

Sometimes I think the people who bitch the loudest are the ones who haven't been buying iPhones since June 2007 and haven't watched the product evolve.

And I seriously do think that if people want some RADICAL change every time you get a new phone, they're best served by the handful of Android companies.

Not saying every phone you get will be a good one, but if your phone is a fashion accessory and not something you depend on to store information and communicate? It might not matter if it's hit or miss.

As long as it LOOKS DIFFERENT.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California
Didn't read the thread but I just want to say that I am really into this new design. I though it was ehh looking at the leaks, then saw the official pics yesterday and noticed the darker aluminum vs the white version. The phone looks super sharp now, I'm not alone right?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
It is a redesign but not enough.

Add a micro sd slot.

Micro usb cable. No more proprietary sh**.

Add full QWERTY keyboard to the bottom.

Maybe make it a flip phone next time. If its flip then no screen protector needed.

Choice of android or apple os would be nice.

They will never do this but would be nice.

For the things you ask for... there's Android. Available from many different companies.

Better yet, I think Palm made you a Treo back in 2001 that might work.

Honestly. Shaky hinges for lids and removable parts and cramped keyboards are about as UN Apple as you can get.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I don't like the aspect ratio. The phone overall looks cool, but Apple turned me into a late adopter. iPhones just ain't exciting to me any more. I'll keep my 4 & 4s for now and will try something new next year after I see what the new iPad is gonna do.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
OP?

You never used an Original iPhone, did you?

If my iPhone logic plays out, we will see a "radical" redesign of the exterior in about 2 years.

Original iPhone/3G/3GS... same phone on the outside with a different backing (which added a slight curve to the back)

4/4s/5/5s... same basic style of phone body (squarish instead of rounded) with changes to backing/screen/length of phone/thickness of phone

This change is more radical than the Original to 3G, but less radical than the
3GS to 4 change.

I call iPhone 6 in 2 years as the next biggie.

I didn't expect it to look too very different. There's a lot of engineering that goes into these phones to make them solid and dependable.

I like the new one, but it's more because I like seeing what they'll do with the product next.

:)

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Talk about disappointing! You would think because its apple the would have came out with a different design for the iPhone 5. All they did was elongate it and add different material for the backing! Its safe to say now that I've seen it I will be buying an iPhone 4S whenever I upgrade from my iPhone! Is it me or did they just break the chain in their design patterns? They usually come out with a new design completely for each model right??? Disappointing!!! Thats all I have to say!

Just curious.....
Your due for an upgrade.
So for $99 you get the 4s. great phone, awesome, I got one.
Or for $199 you can get the 5.
Is it at least not worth a $100 to get newer phone with all this:

1) 4G
2) Bigger better screen(i was happy with 3.5")
3) Better WiFi
4) Better Cell signal quality
5) Better Low light camera
6) HD Front facing Camera usable in Facetime
7) A6 Processor reported 2x faster and 2x faster graphics
8) Faster dock port
9) Better speakers and microphone
10) Better touch screen

All of the above was great on 4s I have one, but its now better.
Its really odd with you folks always saying...."All they did was make it taller"
Thats ridiculous. Id hate to be Apple trying to please you folks all the time.
I mean I could see if you had a 4s saying , nah, Ill skip it. But youre upgrading anyway, and to a 4s!
Or if money was absolutely in question, then sure, 4s it is....but then Id just stay with the 4

Guys we're done with breakthrough WOW specs. Those days are gone for years or until Siri starts having sex with us, its just incremental upgrades

I have a 4s think at $199 its worth it to me.
I also think it looks awesome
But by your account, youre just into a completely different look. Id rather have a good phone than one that looks a certain way.

But each their own, all you guys skipping just means Im one phone easier to grabbing one come Dec.

I normally wouldnt care, but all the people that keep saying, "Ahh, its just taller" Thats STUPID

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I agree with you!! I like the fact that the iPhone 4 is smaller (not longer) If I wanted a bulky device like an mini computer to hold in my hands I would have bought a samsung galaxy!

Lol you consider the iPhone 5 bulky? It's alittle bit longer but thinner so it shouldn't be bulky at all. It's surprising how many people feel that Apple should have made a phone that catered to only themselves.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Why do i have to say this again? The only thing that's the same on the iPhone 5 is the sides where the volume buttons are. The top is changed, the bottom is changed, the front is changed and the back is changed.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
How was the design the same? When I look at the 3 and 4 there is clearly a change in design! When I look at the 4 and 5 they are pretty much the same! Would u like a picture?

I said "first 3". The iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS had very similar designs.

----------

It is a redesign but not enough.

Add a micro sd slot. I agree.

Micro usb cable. No more proprietary sh**. The whole point of Lightning/Dock Connector is that it's better than USB. There are advantages.

Add full QWERTY keyboard to the bottom. Clearly, this is not the phone for you. If my iPhone came with that, I'd rip it off.

Maybe make it a flip phone next time. If its flip then no screen protector needed. A flip smartphone? That would be awkward.

Choice of android or apple os would be nice. People can do this with jailbreaking, but nobody wants to.

They will never do this but would be nice.

Replies in bold.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Lol you consider the iPhone 5 bulky? It's alittle bit longer but thinner so it shouldn't be bulky at all. It's surprising how many people feel that Apple should have made a phone that catered to only themselves.

Themselves? Who are they going to cater too? Aliens? We are the market!!!! And most of you want tacky bigger screens!! It sucks being the 20% that doesnt want a big a** screen!!

----------

Thank you. You saved me the trouble of having to type all of this out.

Sometimes I think the people who bitch the loudest are the ones who haven't been buying iPhones since June 2007 and haven't watched the product evolve.

And I seriously do think that if people want some RADICAL change every time you get a new phone, they're best served by the handful of Android companies.

Not saying every phone you get will be a good one, but if your phone is a fashion accessory and not something you depend on to store information and communicate? It might not matter if it's hit or miss.

As long as it LOOKS DIFFERENT.

You dont have to buy iPhones from year to year in order to recognize the evolution of apple phones, or apple in general! I never wanted to buy an iPhone for the longest time for my own reasons but I finally bought a iPhone 4 and I love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.