Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Rarely used it after a few days owning my 6S.

It's funny family and friends ask me why I went back to iOS/iPhone and I tell them because of 3D Touch and of course the Rose Gold.

magaretz

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
I don't know how to use. I got it informed by one of my colleagues who use an Android phone, lol

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
I use it abit its quite fun. However the pressing takes abit to get used to sometimes i dont even force touch to reach and some days i will. Maybe its new to me but eventually i will adapt.

This is coming from previous samsung galaxy s6 user. Also another reason why i changed was because the 6s plus rarely lags when my s6 was showing lag already just 3-4 months in let alone im still stuck on contract. Just sold the phone only and continued using it. Overall performance wise the 6s does make a huge leap over something already good which is why i did not cost budget down to the 6/6+.

Berthacrowley

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2015
Nahant, MA
I want to use it, but I find myself forgetting it's there most of the time. I find it useful for the Maps app when driving; I can quickly 3D touch for "directions home" from an unfamiliar area without needing to type anything in.

I don't find it as useful for things like Twitter or Instagram, it's just as easy to tap the icon like normal to see my timeline without having to 3D touch and select something from the menu.

I loved the suggestion of being able to 3D touch thread titles on here though so you can quickly peek into it and see if it's something you want to read! I didn't know it could do that! I've been using Chrome for years and a few days ago decided to try Safari for a week to see if I liked it better. Another point in it's favor!

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Just to answer the OP, yeah I'm not using 3D touch at all. It's hard to use a touch screen in an entirely new way. I'm also having problems with copy and paste, hopefully it's my fault. But sometimes it just haptic taps me over and over and won't copy/paste
It has potential to be great, but there's nothing to use it for right now

Reactions: rgarjr

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
In most cases it is generally quicker to just open the app/link/email/etc ... than it is to use 3D Touch.
For the "right click menu" type items, those will be useful once they mature.

For now ..... it's a gimmick. :rolleyes:

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
In most cases it is generally quicker to just open the app/link/email/etc ... than it is to use 3D Touch.

I completely agree. It takes a few extra seconds to hold the screen and scroll then to scroll to make it full screen than if you were to just press some,thing

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011

I haven't found anything where it is quicker to use 3D Touch.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Lately I have been using peek and pop in mail messages and even the music app. Makes the phone so much easier to operate one handed vs swiping. I also find it much faster to peek and swipe right to triage my mail instead of moving my finger all the way to the left then swiping and touching mark read.
It's also faster to peek in safari and then swipe up instead of a long press or messing with the share window.

Reactions: Aceroller

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
For me 3DT is kinda gimmicky. It doesn't work with all my apps and then it doesn't always give useful options.
Like the Apple builtin weather app. I have 4 locations saved in the app but 3DT doesn't work at all. Then the built in music app does have very useful options. One is search, last song played or a beats playlist that does not exist. Where is the option to choose my existing playlists?

You realize that 3D Touch can be used within the app, as well as system wide with the keyboard.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
3D Touch. If an obvious benefit presents itself I would evaluate and potentially use it. If I have to hunt to find a positive benefit ... next. I'll see what the future brings. For now it's not a useful tool.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You realize that 3D Touch can be used within the app, as well as system wide with the keyboard.
What? Did you read my post? What does your reply have to do with no options in the built in weather app? Or the 3DT not giving useful options for the music app? What about the setting app? Nothing........ I never mentioned the keyboard at all.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
What? Did you read my post? What does your reply have to do with no options in the built in weather app? Or the 3DT not giving useful options for the music app? What about the setting app? Nothing........ I never mentioned the keyboard at all.

You called it a gimmick, pointing out the keyboard isn't a gimmick. Works really well.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
This is my second day with my new 6S Plus and I still feel like I'm just not getting the hang of this new feature. :(

AbsynthMinded

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
This is my second day with my new 6S Plus and I still feel like I'm just not getting the hang of this new feature. :(

I didn't at first but now I use it so frequently that I find myself 3D touching my other Apple devices only to be disappointed. Also don't feel you have to, the 6S+ is still a beast of a phone!

3D Touch probably won't be convenient or efficient for everyone especially since it just came out: takes time getting used to or remembering its even there, not used extensively in every native app, has very little use in 3rd party apps. I think once we see more support people will start to realize it's use.

Reactions: Eileen89

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You called it a gimmick, pointing out the keyboard isn't a gimmick. Works really well.
Well at least the keyboard works. But weather settings and music either don't work or displays useless information. It would nice to be able to customize what is displayed. Overall 3DT has not been implemented very well.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I made it more sensitive in settings which allows me to trigger it easier. I think that is helping me use it more.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I am not using it because I am not aware of what apps have that feature and what those are. How do you guys know about all of these features. Did you play with each app to discover it? I would love to learn how to use the features to make useage quicker. But right now, I am also using it for quick read of e-mails. I read through all the comments, and I am very impressed about this feature but have no idea on the useage discovery journey. Technology does not come easily for me, as for an adult a third or half my age:) Wonder other "older" people have the same issue, or is this a mental fence?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
What I use 3D touch the most for is moving the cursor. 3D touch the keyboard and it turns into a trackpad.

Reactions: Qbnkelt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.