Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Is 5.1 sound working for anyone? Tried "The Man in the High Castle" (which is listed as 4K/5.1 sound) and it played as stereo. Switched over to Netflix to make sure nothing got broken with the AppleTV iOS 11.2 update which I did just before installing the Amazon Prime app, and 5.1 sound was working just fine. Went back to Amazon Prime -- still no 5.1.

Any info on the subject appreciated, thanks!

5.1 isn't working for me either in the Apple TV App. Mr Robot is listed as 5.1 and plays as such through the Android TV app, plays as stereo through the Apple TV. 5.1 works generally on the device, so it looks to be a problem with the Prime App. Which given how long it's taken them to release is pretty ridiculous.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Tim promised back when he first announced this that it would be coming to *ALL* Apple TV's and I'm sure he's a man of his word.
When Apple and Amazon made the joint announcement at WWDC of the upcoming availability, Amazon definitely intended to support all AppleTVs:

B196B0CB-B3A0-4B9C-80F9-D248F49771C9.jpeg

A little birdie told me Amazon actually meant “all” excluded generation 1.

AgentOSX

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2017
Hollywood
Live in California, US. I had to download it from the App Store at 5 AM.

It is a handicapped version of the service.

You can’t purchase movies via the app. Not a big deal. You still can on the web page and they show in the Video Library section. It’s just an extra, unnecessary step to use those accumulated $1 video credits gained for opting for slow shipping.

But you cannot rent movies, or even view movies rented on a different device all from what I see.

This is ONLY for the Prime-bannered videos.

But they do support 4K/UltraHD.

Reactions: FlaSheridn

JSandefer

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
I downloaded Prime Video on my Apple TV 4K, but I noticed that it is not integrated the same way the other apps are like HBO or CBS. None of it’s movies or TV shows are in the TV app, & when you search for a movie that is only found on Prime Video, Prime Video is not an option in the “open in“ button. There is no way to enable integration within Settings either.

**UPDATE**
I have 2 Apple TV 4Ks, and the one in my bedroom seems to have Prime Video integrated in the TV app but not the Apple TV in my living room. Both are running the latest software update. This is really weird.

**UPDATE 2**
It turns out that when you go to watch a movie on Prime Video for the first time, it will ask you if you want to connect Prime Video to Apple’s TV app. Once you select “Ok,” everything integrates into the app. When I set up my other Apple TV, I did not have to do this as it integrated into the TV app automatically. Just FYI if you’re confused like I was.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Did they? I missed that, I will check that out this weekend, see what they have on offer.

Nothing much really. The international selection is pretty small (only advantage is you get free shipping on orders over $60). It only just rolled out today. 1st month of prime is free, then $3 for the next couple of months, before it eventually rises to $9 per month.

It’s handy for grocery shopping, I give you that, but otherwise, prices aren’t really any cheaper than in the supermarkets. You are really paying for the convenience of free delivery to your doorstep.

FlaSheridn

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Hmm. I was excited to finally have Prime on my Apple TV, but after I installed it I realized there was nothing on it that I wanted to see.

• George R.R. Martin’s tales of pre-Giuliani/Bloomberg New York, Beauty and the Beast (skip the ones not written by him, at least the pilot, and try to ignore the crummy digitization)
  • Whatever Amazon had to rename Top Gear to
  • Lots of Neil Simon
  • The Thunderbirds continuation
  • The Captain Scarlet reboot (which gets better, trust me, though the Mysterons still don’t make sense)
  • The good Mission Impossible
  • The good Star Treks
And best of all, I can now stop trying to use the horrible Android software on my TV, which frequently drops the network connection, and sometimes tries to wake me up in the middle of the night.

LewisB79

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
It means I can now use Apple TV for pretty much everything, with the only notable exceptions being BT Sport (which would be useless for me anyway if it was tied to having BT Internet service, like the iOS app is), and Channel 4. Between Amazon, NowTV, Netflix, BBC, ITV and Channel 5 (and iTunes), 99% of what I watch is now covered. Amazon was the big missing piece in the jigsaw.

Indeed. Now My5 has an Apple TV app (SD only though, unfortunately) and with ITV coming, it's only really Channel 4 that's a notable exception.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I'm currently at work.

Can someone give me a quick summary on the amount of 4K content available either on prime, or for rental or purchase?

keeganskylar

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Does the Amazon X-Ray feature work within this app? If so how does it compare to using Amazon X-Ray on the Fire Box or Stick? same or better? Thanks!

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Does the Amazon X-Ray feature work within this app? If so how does it compare to using Amazon X-Ray on the Fire Box or Stick? same or better? Thanks!
I don't think so. If it does, I couldn't figure out how to use it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Is 5.1 sound working for anyone? Tried "The Man in the High Castle" (which is listed as 4K/5.1 sound) and it played as stereo. Switched over to Netflix to make sure nothing got broken with the AppleTV iOS 11.2 update which I did just before installing the Amazon Prime app, and 5.1 sound was working just fine. Went back to Amazon Prime -- still no 5.1.

Any info on the subject appreciated, thanks!
Probably broken, which is to be expected. Apple devices can't cope with surround. Apple rejects audio quality as part of their entire philosophy.

There is no 5.1 in Movie trailers within iTunes or within the Trailers app.
Their API doesn't allow for DTS, DTS-HD, ATMOS, TrueHD or any other bitstreamed passthrough on HDMI.
YouTube has no capability of doing 5.1
Hulu has no capability of doing 5.1
And I'm sure I'm missing some

Apple at their core foundation, rejects audio quality.

krmay1

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2017
So, are we supposed to be able to do a search from the main screen of the Apple TV and see movies available in the Amazon app? For example, if I search for "The Holiday" which is a movie included with your Prime subscription, my Apple TV shows me that it's available in Hulu, iTunes or Crackle. Why isn't it telling me that I can watch it in Amazon (for free)??

That's pretty useless if I have to search for movies inside multiple apps vs. a true universal search. What am I missing here? Does this functionality work for anyone else?

Thanks!

It is working on my iPhone so my guess is that is will work on the Apple TV sometime today. Amazon Prime Video shows are also showing up in my TV App on my iPhone.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Can those of you who have installed the Amazon app on ATV confirm whether it is playing 5.1 or Stereo ? There seems to be a couple of people saying Stereo only and it's not clear whether its an App bug or simply the Movie in question that plays in Stereo.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
5.1 isn't working for me either in the Apple TV App. Mr Robot is listed as 5.1 and plays as such through the Android TV app, plays as stereo through the Apple TV. 5.1 works generally on the device, so it looks to be a problem with the Prime App. Which given how long it's taken them to release is pretty ridiculous.

Yep, No 5.1. Shows listed as 5.1 (man in high castle, gt, to name 2...) play in stereo only. :(

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Finally I can now disconnect my add ridden 3rd gen Fire TV dongle and just stick with the Apple TV and Roku Ultra.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Probably broken. I expect nothing more. Apple devices can't cope with surround. Apple rejects audio quality as part of their entire philosophy.

There is no 5.1 in Movie trailers within iTunes or within the Trailers app.
Their API doesn't allow for DTS, DTS-HD, ATMOS, TrueHD or any other bitstreamed passthrough on HDMI.
YouTube has no capability of doing 5.1
Hulu has no capability of doing 5.1
And I'm sure I'm missing some

Apple at their core foundation, rejects audio quality.

This is false. Infuse can stream Bitstream for DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 to a receiver. However 7.1 (DTS-HD) is sent as PCM.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
Does the Amazon app also support Anime Strike? I think this is obviously the most important question here.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I also checked for 5.1 surround and only got stereo despite the content being marked as 5.1. Very dissapointing.
[doublepost=1512570497][/doublepost]
This is false. Infuse can stream Bitstream for DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 to a receiver. However 7.1 (DTS-HD) is sent as PCM.
But Infuse had to build their own video engine to do so, bypassing the tvOS functionality, and even then only passes the lossy core of DTS and Dolby Digital.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
even 10 years old PS3 has Amazon Video App

4K is pointless for poor quality web content, 1080p blu-ray is still better

HDR - cheap gimmick for plebs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.