Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Amazon, Google, Facebook are 3 companies I do NOT trust to understand my right to privacy. There is no way any of their stuff will ever be allowed into our home.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I'm genuinely surprised they didn't unveil an Amazon Echo Starbucks Barista Limited Edition Coffee Maker.

I mean, who wouldn't want the pleasure of ordering their coffee when they wake up? Who knows - Alexa may even put some more coffee in your Basket...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I used to not think much of it. Then articles started coming out how these companies are paying contractors to listen in on conversations. I've since then disconnected the Echo Dot in my bedroom.

have you also turned off and stopped using all your Apple devices? If not why not? Or were you happy for contractors to listen to your conversations because it’s Apple?
[automerge]1569439769[/automerge]
Amazon, Google, Facebook are 3 companies I do NOT trust to understand my right to privacy. There is no way any of their stuff will ever be allowed into our home.

but I bet you hypocritically use Apple products....

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
have you also turned off and stopped using all your Apple devices? If not why not? Or were you happy for contractors to listen to your conversations because it’s Apple?
[automerge]1569439769[/automerge]

but I bet you hypocritically use Apple products....
Its not hypocritical if you have solid reasons for thinking Apple isn't selling your data on to advertisers and the like. Lets face it, apple is even a lot more careful about giving the poke access to your devices. Privacy is a major selling point for apple, and its one of the reasons I am willing to pay an able premium.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
I hate my HomePod. It is so buggy that it renders my Apple TV almost nonfunctional, making my overall TV viewing experience extremely aggravating. The only upside is that now I have less desire to watch TV because of the buggy HomePod.
My HomePod was maybe kinda buggy when I had a bad wifi router. Got a really nice new ASUS one, and the HomePod is behaving like a star!

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Its not hypocritical if you have solid reasons for thinking Apple isn't selling your data on to advertisers and the like. Lets face it, apple is even a lot more careful about giving the poke access to your devices. Privacy is a major selling point for apple, and its one of the reasons I am willing to pay an able premium.

Honestly, if you are that worried about being tracked then probably best to keep off the internet as a whole. Including public forums.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Echo toilet coming soon. It can tell how much fiber you need and will auto-ship the appropriate bran flakes, prunes, etc.

Reactions: coachgq

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
How good are the Echo Buds? I'm actually interested because they use Bose Active Noise Reduction. Does that mean this is a cheaper alternative to QuietComfort? I haven't bought Airpods because of its non-existent noise reduction feature.

I also wonder whether it's possible to turn off Alexa on the Echo Buds. I'm also the paranoid kind. I don't use Hey Siri on my phone as well.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I like amazon's approach. They're testing the market, and seeing what sticks and what doesn't. Alexa everywhere!

I've been shopping on amazon since at least 1999, and they've only been able to successfully recommend 1 product. I'm not afraid of their privacy-invading tactics.

Reactions: dwsolberg

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I never said it’s a bad TV speaker. In fact, it’s the best TV speaker with the best sound quality. What I’m complaining about is its buggy software that makes my Apple TV go berserk.

If it doesn't work right with a tv, then it is by definition a bad TV speaker.

Also, it is not "in fact" "the best TV speaker with the best sound quality." It's better than low-end soundbar, sure, but for the cost of two HomePods for stereo sound, you can have a fantastic 5.1 system that sounds better both in surround and in stereo.

Reactions: Khedron

bookcase

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I have two current generation dots to voice activate 6 lamps, and a Show 5 for my alarm clock. (I also have a HomePod for music.) So while I appreciate Amazon's products, I feel like they throw so much sh** at the wall just to see what will stick, instead of focusing on refining products like Apple.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I'm impressed the designs are quite good.

I also appreciate that someone is brave enough to take baby steps back into the wearables market. No camera on the glasses but once acceptance or comfort levels grow again with such technology they will have a help pave a trail back into this space. The ring is a novel idea too.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

it IS hypocritical and biased blind selective thinking too... Apple didn’t even tell you they had contractors listening to everything you said, let alone let you opt out of it! Yet somehow that’s better then Amazon? And how do you know Apple aren’t selling your data because they don’t seem to tell you anything until someone catches them! Amazon doesn’t sell your data to advertisers so far as I know.
[automerge]1569440893[/automerge]
If it needs a sub for decent bass, it’s no HomePod competitor.

they said you can add a sub, and a sub would sound better then the HomePod guaranteed, some home cinemas have four or more..
I am waiting to see what people make of the sound quality. I also think the IKEA Sonos lamp is good too.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
GPS doesn't need to connect to a server to get your location. It just listens for the pings from satellites and triangulates appropriately. There's nothing remotely creepy about it.
How is that creepy? Your phone has GPS and is displaying it on a larger screen. That’s all CarPlay is.
330,000,000 people in America, I am not a criminal and I don't cheat on my wife—-what is the real likelihood someone really cares where I am located while driving. I have been in digital marketing and believe me, everyone considers us a potential customer and nothing more.

So it's creepy for devices to be always listening, but not creepy for devices to be always tracking. Got it.

Reactions: motulist

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Amazon Basics stuff is pretty good. But I hate when they blatantly rip others off like their shoes that look just like Allbirds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.