Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandon87

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2019
Phoenix
Definitely interested in the ear buds. I had the AirPods and did not like the lack of bass and how it fit in my ears. Always had Bose or Beats [Beats X have been my top pick for years now] but i'd like to know the quality of sound from these!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
have you also turned off and stopped using all your Apple devices? If not why not? Or were you happy for contractors to listen to your conversations because it’s Apple?
Apple was acting within the TOS, so for me...I didn’t care. In fact I’m using Siri more now.
but I bet you hypocritically use Apple products....
Is hypocritical a personal, moving definition now?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My echo dot is used to set timers while I’m cooking. Never could get into anything else Alexa. So I’m not interested in the new offerings. (But I have a denon receiver that’s does airplay 2)

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Big topic innovation. Innovation in reality integration. Amazon the Only single source for a complete one stop shopping solution for the home. Starts at the routers, security, lightening, music, video, sound systems, communication, TV, cloud services, shopping, credit card, reading, and the list goes on with integration of third party devices. Not sure if there is anything left to offer.:rolleyes:

Reactions: motulist

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Love the shopping experience...

Echo/Alexa was evicted from our home a year ago. No thanks....tired of sharing our data with marketers

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Anyone have a desire for any of this?

Just seems like more data mining techniques.

I think the earbuds compete with other wireless headphones, but not AirPods. Those are practically universally loved and anyone with iOS will use those instead.

Reactions: bobob and iGeneo

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Will the Echo work without wifi like the Homepod? the new speaker option is tempting as opposed to my buying a 2nd Homepod to use for work travel. One thing nice about the HomePod is that it doesn't require an active wifi connection in order for you to stream music to it from an iOS or Mac device.

Bluetooth currently supported for single speaker mode. Multi-speaker needs wifi.

Reactions: 840quadra

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Will the Echo work without wifi like the Homepod? the new speaker option is tempting as opposed to my buying a 2nd Homepod to use for work travel. One thing nice about the HomePod is that it doesn't require an active wifi connection in order for you to stream music to it from an iOS or Mac device.
Does not require wifi to stream. Doesn't have AirPlay, but does have BT capability.
If it needs a sub for decent bass, it’s no HomePod competitor.
Need a sub for decent bass and can add a sub as a choice are completely different propositions. Considering Amazon is obviously positioning the Studio as a direct competitor to the HomePod, I'd guess they benchmarked it's sound signature against the HomePod. I'd be surprised if they didn't sound remarkably similar... meaning a little too bassy.:D

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
It's funny to hear all the haters in this thread... the same people that are probably using google, gmail, amazon.com and various other online retailers, various cloud services, smartphones, Siri, Apple/Google maps, etc.

Having a smart speaker in your house is no worse than, for example, using an email service provided by an advertising company that can and does read it all.

Reactions: motulist

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Do you have a cellphone? A smart watch? A computer with a microphone/camera? An Apple TV? Smart devices? All these things products can "spy" on you.

That's true, but these home devices are specifically designed to spy directly on you, your words, and your activity -- to an extent that swerves into the creepy, big-brother. We're getting into a very strange world now, and we've voluntarily given up our privacy on a massive scale. And some companies, like Google and Facebook, are bordering on evil with what they do with this info.

Last edited:
Reactions: brendu and iGeneo

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
It's funny to hear all the haters in this thread... the same people that are probably using google, gmail, amazon.com and various other online retailers, various cloud services, smartphones, Siri, Apple/Google maps, etc.

Having a smart speaker in your house is no worse than, for example, using an email service provided by an advertising company that can and does read it all.

Or using Apple News+ who demand you pay to be profiled

Reactions: MrRabuf

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010

Don't use Google
Don't use Gmail
Use Amazon - Business Account
Very few other online resellers
No other cloud than Apple
Use iPhone Pro 11
Use Siri
Use Apple Maps

So, mostly in with Apple... where is my information being sold?

BTW: I usually hate CA politics, but their version of GDPR hits the books on 1/1/2020 and if they keep the current bill intact, it will have more teeth than the EU version. Can't wait for that

Reactions: brendu

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Don't use Google
Don't use Gmail
Use Amazon - Business Account
Very few other online resellers
No other cloud than Apple
Use iPhone Pro 11
Use Siri
Use Apple Maps

So, mostly in with Apple... where is my information being sold?

You're fooling yourself if you think Apple isn't spying on you and collecting data for their own benefit.

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
If the reviews of the headphone are good, I'll definitely buy a pair of those. My Bragi Dash died (batteries). I still have a pair of Bragi Headphones, but don't like them as much. These seem like a good replacement as long as the bluetooth is stable, they stay paired to one another, battery life is as claimed and for me the sound is at least descent (I love music, but have a tin ear when it comes to higher end quality).

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Headline should have been
"Amazon releases multiple new mass surveillance devices to better probe your life and those around you"

This exactly. I can’t believe more people aren’t calling this stuff out for what it is. This is amazon revealing a fleet of surveillance devices that customers will both pay amazon to purchase and also allow amazon to spy on them more than they already do. Are people that ignorant to the behavior of these companies or do they truly not care that other people are spying on them and listening to them?

Last edited:
Reactions: iGeneo

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I think they recently jumped the shark. Their core business of delivery is now awful and I'm not the only one that has noticed. I order about $100k worth of items per year for business and home and about 50% of my items over the past 3 months have arrived several days later than promised. Right now is a great time for a competitor to swoop in and steal away customers like myself.
True, I had the same issue. Items not being delivered on time. Still, I think they are great overall. But one thing to keep in mind is Walmart. Many times I found same item cheaper and the delivery was pretty good. No need for Prime with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.