Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

103540-rbc_logo.jpg

In a research note released today, RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky increased his estimate of 2010 iPad sales from 5 million to 8 million, citing upcoming international launches and continued strong sales in the U.S. as evidenced by retail store shortages. For the current quarter, which runs through late June, Abramsky is predicting iPad sales in excess of 1.8 million units in the United States and an additional 600,000 in the nine new countries receiving the device on May 28th, pushing quarterly sales to 2.5 million, up from earlier estimates of 1.5 million.

Continued strong iPad sales in the U.S. are estimated in excess of 200,000 per week, nearly double that of current Mac unit sales.
Checks indicate that US iPad sales remain strong post-launch, driven by rising consumer visibility to iPad's user experience, sustained PR/word-of-mouth marketing, 3G iPad launch, and broadening iPad apps/content. We believe Apple is now selling >200k iPads/wk, greater than US Macs (est. 110k Macs/wk) and just below US iPhone 3GS first qtr (246k/wk).
RBC's data also shows a positive effect from iPad accessories, with record "attach rates" as customers purchase cases, docks, and other items to go along with their iPads. Abramsky estimates iPad accessories adding an additional 15-20% in incremental revenue for each unit sold, well above 6-10% estimates for the iPhone and iPod.

RBC continues to carry a $350 price target on Apple's stock, which is currently trading at approximately $240 per share.

Article Link: Analyst Raises 2010 iPad Sales Estimate to 8 Million

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I can see this happening. SO THERE NAYSAYERS!! Even thought it's just an estimate, the iPad is proving itself to match these numbers anyway. :)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No no no. A LOT of people around here told me this was just a big iPod so, logically, no one would want to buy one.

Obviously these numbers are all wrong!

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I think the current spin is "well, in three months people will be bored of it and sales will drop off."

Right? Heh.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
200,000 per week? Wow, that's 1,191 per HOUR, or 19 per MINUTE. Or one iPad every three seconds. Yikes.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
RBC continues to carry a $350 price target on Apple's stock, which is currently trading at approximately $240 per share.

But it started out close to $250 per share this morning and before that it was a little more and before that a little more... :eek:

What is going on? :confused:

AAPL you are headed in the wrong direction! Please turn around and go back the way you came! :D

flooce

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
All produced by modern slaves in Foxconn factories. 8 suicide attempts in April, 30 suicides so far. Breaks only for sleeping and eating. Great stuff!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wonder if it could surpass the iPod?
I mean, (as anecdotal this is) everyone in my family and all my friends have iPods. Some have more than one but everyone has at least one. None of these people want iPads. None of them seem to want netbooks too *shrugs*.

No widescreen, walled garden, lack of connectivity options... I just can't see it. Glad to see others can though - hopefully we'll see improved iPhones and iPods using iPad tech!

megatrick

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Strong Island
Everybody I run into is buying one...

The iPad is going to be a runaway success. I was in a meeting yesterday, and this VP after seeing it was buying them for her whole staff. Everyone I know wants one and is going to buy it....

Cydonia

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Isle of Man
No no no. A LOT of people around here told me this was just a big iPod so, logically, no one would want to buy one.

Obviously these numbers are all wrong!

I know what you mean. Not that I think it is, but what is wrong with just a big iPod? I've never understood that reasoning to why this thing was gonna fail.
I would love one but I'm trying to replace my G4 iBook first with a 2010 MBP 13". The gravy can come later :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The numbers don't quite add up. If Apple sold 1 million in the first four weeks, and 200,000 a week since then, they already have over 1.4 million sold in the USA. Total US sales for the quarter (six weeks to go) should be more like 2.6 million in the USA, not 1.8 million. 1.8 million _only_ in the US would require a very, very sharp drop in US sales in the next six weeks. Apple should reach 1.8 million US sales in the first week of June.

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
10 million in 12 months of sales. At least.

I have been saying 10 million since I saw the keynote that introduced it. I can't wait to see how strong International demand is. The fact that early adopters have flown to the US just to buy one is something of a sign. :)

All produced by modern slaves in Foxconn factories. 8 suicide attempts in April, 30 suicides so far. Breaks only for sleeping and eating. Great stuff!

You had better not buy any electronics, then. Foxconn supplies a lot more than merely Apple.

Oh, and don't mail anything. You don't want to contribute to postal worker rage. And don't drive, for fear of contributing to road rage.

:rolleyes:

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
I wonder whether these count as smartphone sales, netbook sales, or music player sales?

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
The numbers don't quite add up. If Apple sold 1 million in the first four weeks, and 200,000 a week since then, they already have over 1.4 million sold in the USA. Total US sales for the quarter (six weeks to go) should be more like 2.6 million in the USA, not 1.8 million. 1.8 million _only_ in the US would require a very, very sharp drop in US sales in the next six weeks. Apple should reach 1.8 million US sales in the first week of June.

Perhaps they are accounting for an early June release of the next iPhone. Isn't there something like 18 days to WWDC? :) Unfortunately, many people will have to choose between the two devices... Some people will still get both of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.