Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
I am happy with my ATT data plans. The iPad and the iPhone work on here in Austin, Tx. I did have problems in NYC last summer with calles but never with data, at lease not where I noticed.

I know other carrers customers would like to the use the iPhone but right now I'm happy to keep getting the ATT discounts as they keep making deals with Apple to be the carrier.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
AT&T an overall bad network?

Sure it doesnt cover all the areas you may live but it happens to any other carrier.
I live in Richmond and my brother-in-law can't get a signal from Sprint, he switched to Verizon and its ok but does that make Sprint an overall bad network? No
and its common sense that if you can't get a signal and you are sick and tired of dropped calls then just switch and stop complaining

When the time comes where the iPhone comes to Verizon, then go ahead and get the iPhone for their network but for now just stop complaining and switch to whatever carrier that is better in your area

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
I also don't think Apple wants to make a non GSM phone. It's world wide market is GSM. Really the next logicial carrier here in the USA should be T-Mobile.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I'm not trying to make some threat as if Apple would even care, but if the iPhone comes out on Verizon this year

Well i don't have a crystal ball but i doubt there will be one on Verizon this year. June is month for iPhone announcements and they wouldn't annouce one on ATT and then wait till later in the year and announce one for VZW then.

Apple is pretty prediticable when it comes to when and where they announce new products. If anything it would be next june if they did carrier. So this way VZW would have enough markets rolled out with LTE and this would promise enough sales for apple.

Because if you have a phone that can only be used in 5 markets that would leave too much stock on shelves.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
I also don't think Apple wants to make a non GSM phone. It's world wide market is GSM. Really the next logicial carrier here in the USA should be T-Mobile.

agreed, if Apple were to go with any other carrier in the US, Then it would most likely go with T-Mobile

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why apple is blinded to this is beyond me.:cool:
Guess it is time to check out the Android. Which of course leaves the iPhone out for 2 years, for all the smart stuff Apple does this is just plain wacked out stupid.

Uh... it was your precious Verizon that rejected Apple, not the other way around. Sorry.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

drnen

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
agreed, if Apple were to go with any other carrier in the US, Then it would most likely go with T-Mobile

if Apple ever plans on getting into the LTE market in the US, its going to need to support legacy CDMA radio frequencies as well. So whether apple does it now or later, its going to have to support it at some point- all LTE verizon phones are still going to need support for cdma just like current att phones support edge

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
Enjoy your new iPod touch.

The iPhone isn't coming to Verizon this year.

If Apple really were planning on releasing an iPhone on Verizon, there would have been a noticeable hiring surge of CDMA phone engineers by Apple. There has been zero evidence indicating such (it would have been duly reported by the tech media).

From 2 years ago ...

http://www.9to5mac.com/cdma-iphone-verizon-sprint

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Uh... it was your precious Verizon that rejected Apple, not the other way around. Sorry.

I Wonder how verizon is going to handle not being able to place their DNA all over the iphone if they carrier it (i.e verizon logo,etc).

And i also heard that there was some type of issue with Verizon wanting to perform instore repairs for phones which clashed with apple's view of supporting it's own hardware. Awhile back which was one of the reasons why verizon passed on it.

If they get a chance i would hope they wouldn't be so arrogant to apple.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
You believed that? Ahahahahahaha!!!! :D

Let's face it: no iPhone on Verizon this year.

Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg practically begged for the iPhone which means they're not gonna get it. Apple partners clam up real tight when there's a deal in the works. Verizon has empty pockets.

What's there not to believe? From the sounds of things you are a 15 year old who thinks he knows what he's talking about. Even if it doesn't come to Verizon, I'll gladly use my phone for what it's intended for with zero dropped calls.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I wondered what that loud groaning we heard earlier was We thought a moose got hit by a truck on the Interstate. Turns out it was the collective crying of Verizon fanboys. :D

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
I Wonder how verizon is going to handle not being able to place their DNA all over the iphone if they carrier it (i.e verizon logo,etc).

And i also heard that there was some type of issue with Verizon wanting to perform instore repairs for phones which clashed with apple's view of supporting it's own hardware. Awhile back which was one of the reasons why verizon passed on it.

If they get a chance i would hope they wouldn't be so arrogant to apple.

I don't see it on a lot of the current phones ... other than the cheapies

original-aptech

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
Sprint's Has 4G Now - Googled a site "selling" (unreleased) the iPhone 4G

I receive (mobile USB) 4G through Clear.com it is great! Sprint is a backer ($) of Clear and has a 4G phone now. Yet Apple is with ATT, whose LTE (4G) is not "live". I even googled a website "selling" Apple's iPhone 4G - http://www.new-iphone4g.com - if Apple "announces" their iPhone 4G at the June conference - how does ATT and the end user fit in?!?

AT&T an overall bad network?

Sure it doesnt cover all the areas you may live but it happens to any other carrier.
I live in Richmond and my brother-in-law can't get a signal from Sprint, he switched to Verizon and its ok but does that make Sprint an overall bad network? No
and its common sense that if you can't get a signal and you are sick and tired of dropped calls then just switch and stop complaining

When the time comes where the iPhone comes to Verizon, then go ahead and get the iPhone for their network but for now just stop complaining and switch to whatever carrier that is better in your area

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I receive (mobile USB) 4G through Clear.com it is great! Sprint is a backer ($) of Clear and has a 4G phone now. Yet Apple is with ATT, whose LTE (4G) is not "live". I even googled a website "selling" Apple's iPhone 4G - http://www.new-iphone4g.com - if Apple "announces" their iPhone 4G at the June conference - how does ATT and the end user fit in?!?

Too bad that Sprint Wimax phone would be useless if Clear switches to LTE which it's rumored to be looking into. Because it would be too costly for Clear to operate a Wimax and Lte network.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
That's a myth. Everyone has experienced at least ONE dropped call. There is no person on earth who hasn't. Someone needs to take their blinders off. :rolleyes:

Myth? I always have a Verizon signal no matter where I go and if there's ever a dropped call it's ironically when I'm talking to my friend using his iPhone, who coincidentally has the worst sound quality out of everyone else I talk to who has Verizon. The Verizon drop rate is 1.5%. Have you seen AT&T's? ;)

merlinw

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Needles, CA
Same here, the coverage map show coverage, but for me calls are dropped daily. ATT has horrible coverage.:(
I drive 4 hours almost every other weekend, and out of those 4 hours, I have 1.5hrs of straight "No Service." And yet AT&T's map shows they have coverage in those spots. BS.

I hope Sprint's upcoming "Beyond Talk" plan will force AT&T and Verizon to offer cheaper plans. (300 minutes, unlimited text/data for $25/mo.)

I hardly ever use my phone, so I've got around 5,000 rollover minutes that I will never, ever use, and never will use. So staying with AT&T for rollover minutes is not appealing to me.

Maybe if a Verizon iPhone comes out next year, I can convince them to pay to cancel my contract with AT&T so I can switch.

RogueWarrior65

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
It's a struggle of 2 companies who want full control of their devices and content. 2 greedy corporations that want to charge for all content. Their greed will never let them reach an agreement.... at least not one where the customer wins.

I disagree. Verizon makes neither the device nor the content. They're selling access to their infrastructure. I'm sure Verizon wanted to gimp the iPhone just like they did with every other manufacturer's device and Apple told them that they were living in the past just like the record companies were when iTunes came out. The iPhone is proving that the old cellphone company business policies are dead and good riddance. The iPad is hammering the last nails in that coffin. AT&T was smart to embrace it at least as far as they did (e.g. lack of official tethering). Verizon is going to get left behind eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.