AnandTech Calls A12 Bionic in iPhone XS 'Just Margins Off' Best Desktop CPUs in New Review

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2018.

1. marty1980 macrumors 6502

Makes me curious if someday not too far away, we will see Desktop bigLITTLE architectures where ST are ran through a SoC like the A12 and threaded logic is thrown to a more traditional i7 type CPU.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2018 ---

On iOS, a screenshot is taken of the last activity of an app when it loses focus. If the app needs to reload, the screenshot is used as a placeholder image while the app is loading. That’s why you can tap tap tap and nothing works until you see the app reload visually.

2. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

Actually, there are still intel x86 phones on the market. intel is supplier for the Spreadtrum SC9853i SoC, which uses x86 cores (old intel Atom). However, since iOS requires ARM and is tailored for Apples CPUs, that won't work...

3. cppguy macrumors 6502a

That's nice, but if they're putting such a powerful CPU in a device, please allow us to connect it to a keyboard, mouse and monitor, so we can work properly at a desktop. The iPhone (along with the iPad) would be the most secure consumer computer. But without a proper keyboard and mouse, I'm as productive as a kitten in a mitten. You can't even do precise selection and clipboard operations.

4. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

Not even close to a thread ripper.
    The A12 is missing multiple DDR channels, PCIe lanes, etc.....
    Not a CPU for a Mac at all.

5. Tech198 macrumors G5

Just say it : We want iPhone converge. :D

6. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

This is a desktop ARM -> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/08/cavium_thunderx2/
    The A12 isn't even close.

7. cmaier Suspended

Give A12 a cooling solution that allows it to dissipate 120W like that and it will hold its own.
    Also, it wouldn’t return to the “default” view but would instead return to exactly where it left off if the app developer correctly handled encoding and decoding the state and used the apis apple provides for that functionality.
    Cisc doesn’t emulate risc. Cisc x86 chips use a hardware microcode rom and replaces each cisc instruction with the appropriate sequence of microops. Of course many native cisc instructions require no such replacement. And for something like amd64, where we threw away as much cruft as we could, hardly anything needs to be resequenced.

But this is the way it has worked since as at least as far back as the 80386, so it’s nothijy new.

8. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

It’s only missing those because there’s no need for them on a small embedded device like a phone. Those are easy adds.

9. cppguy macrumors 6502a

I don't want Mac and iPhone to merge into one. At least not this time, when iOS is so limiting. It's a security advantage that we can take advantage of, but we're not at the point where we can stop using desktop machines. iOS is perfect as a secure platform for banking, doing taxes, billing, accounting, HR, running a business, marketing. What I do is computer vision, software development, photo and video editing, which are not nearly there. I'm sure one day all devices can merge, but at this time iOS is too limiting. If I can't run Visual Studio, Xcode, Acrobat, FinalCut, Photoshop, Python (for neural network and natural language processing), then I cannot replace my Mac and Windows PC yet.

10. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

11. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I was also going to say.... the hard part about Macs being weaned off Intel cpu is leaving behind MS Office.

12. dwaite macrumors regular

dwaite

There's also the issue of what to do about all the x86-only applications (AKA all existing Mac apps). Intel has threatened to sue anyone who is not licensing their patents (and I believe they have at least some patent coverage on all the MMX/SSE instruction extensions still)

The apps aren't necessarily killed until the device needs the memory - instead they can just stop getting scheduled for CPU time, stop receiving events, and have all their networking/hardware resources released.

13. gaximus macrumors 6502a

The XR doesn’t have an OLED screen

14. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

Want to run "Marzipan" versions of Apps on an iPhone connected to an external Monitor. To use a Desktop class CPU as a Desktop...

15. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Because it's Apple doing it. If it was Google or Microsoft, etc, ARM would suck.

16. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

What is bionic about the chip?
    When you go from an iPhone/iPad to a "computer", you are going from essentially a single tasking machine to a multitasking machine so what works for one device doesn't necessarily equate to being great in another device.

17. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

Nope. Microsoft did a great job of getting Windows 10 up and running and having Photoshop, Office and a (basic) game up and running under x86 emulation and that’s on a relatively paltry Snapdragon 820.

18. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

If Apple is so great at chips, why don't they release them as general purpose desktop cpu's and be the next intel.

19. cmaier Suspended

The next big company in a dying industry? Why would they want to do that? Intel dreams of selling systems and other value added devices instead of just cpus.

20. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

Let’s flip that around. Why would Apple sell one of their key advantages to competitors?

21. citysnaps macrumors 601

As I said many months ago, any Apple-designed macOS cpu will not be ARM-based. Rather, it will be a full-custom design. The benefits will be huge.

22. 358547 Suspended

"very small margins until Apple’s mobile SoCs outperform the fastest desktop CPUs in terms of ST performance."

It would be helpful if you'd include an explanation of "ST performance" after that quote. I guess it means "Synthetic Test Performance" as in benchmarks?

23. cmaier Suspended

By the way, many of their key engineers used to work at AMD and DEC. They know what they’re doing at least as well as intel.

24. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

....because that’s not their business model?

25. rp2011, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

Can the current software even take full advantage of just one?