Android is overused..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JaiDaHaus, Jan 9, 2011.

1. JaiDaHaus macrumors newbie

JaiDaHaus

Cell Phone company: "Lets make a phone to beat the iPhone, suggestions?"
    Suggestion: "Lets slap Android in it!"
    Result..... a hundred lame ass phones with maybe 2 exceptions.

I'm getting really tired of the unimaginative bullcrap that all these cell phone makers keep dishing out thinking it'll sell just because it has android in it.

2. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The thing is, it does sell.

Besides what would you rather, each phone make their own OS? MotoOS, SamsungOS, HTCOS? That'd be a disaster for the market and the consumer would lose. Developers would be confused or not bother developing 8 different versions of their programs.

Better yet would you just rather everyone had an iPhone? Only Apple knows how to do stuff, the rest should just give up.

Your age or lack of business sense really shows here. Nobody is trying to "beat the iPhone", they're just trying to sell X number of units to bring in Y profit. The term "iPhone killer" was something the media drummed up.

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Well, that was kind of the strategy Google had with Android. Make it the Windows of phone OSes.

Meanwhile Microsoft is completely stuttering with mobile OS. :D

4. bholaladka macrumors regular

I may be completely incorrect here but I think another reason for this overuse may be the fact that Android is FREE and open source compared to its Apple iOS counterpart.

By keeping it free and open source, Google is making money primarily from the Ads part of the OS. Since it is free, we are seeing lots of Android phones as there are not much upfront costs for the phone developers. Also, it's open-source so it brings in the community that likes to develop and improve open-source software.

5. androidlover macrumors newbie

Well, android isint overused. Its just that other cellphone companies have to come up with different concepts to beat iphones market, which is pure business and not stupidity. As iphone came into the market, there were no equally good cellphones available in the market and no matter its price, people bought it. This enforced google to decline the idea of watching the monopoly sitting with their hands tied up, and rather make full use of resources and get something reasonable to reach the masses. Im sure android cellphones have their sales growing up drastically. Its more fun to watch the competition rather than just showing us the heights of how bias you can be for a phone if you like it. Just being neutral :)

Sent from my GT-I9000

6. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

What was Android originally developed for then?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Microwaves, washers, and refrigerators. ;)

But, Android is rather everywhere. I'm not complaining. Just as long as you let me use my phone the way I want to use it.

8. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

I love my samsung epic 4g with android OS, I can tether for free, as well as have an actual "Unlimited" data plan unlike AT&T's crap data service. :cool:

9. JaiDaHaus, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011

JaiDaHaus thread starter macrumors newbie

JaiDaHaus

I laugh because maybe I should have given you a little bio of myself before you all started judging me from a simple statement.

I'm not a kid, i'm 21, and in college.

I'm not an apple or iPhone fanboy, and even though i own an iPhone 4 I have already decided that it will most likely be the last iphone i will own because it just seems like apple is having a hard time keeping up with the market now.

Yes, I understand the reasons behind Android's creation, but maybe they should restrict who can use the OS and how many times because like I stated before, there are almost a hundred different devices now that pretty much do all the same stuff, besides a couple exceptions. That in itself can't be good for the market or the customers.

Also, it just seems companies are taking the easy way out.

Microsoft did create their own OS, Windows phone 7 and it seems do be doing pretty well. I just want these corporations to be creative instead of taking the easy way out. If they do good work it will pay off anyway.

10. kevinof macrumors 6502a

What is it with you iphone users that make you want to limit choice for everyone else? I don't get it. I have a htc desire z (vision?) and the reason I got it was because of the hardware keyboard. I have big thumbs and the on screen keyboard on any phone ( we also have a 3GS and an iphone 4 in the house) just doesn't cut it. Consumers like choice - we're not all the same and by providing choice you grow your market. Goi into any supermarket and what do you see? choice. Would you rather us all drive exactly the same cars also?

Android appeals to hardware manufacturers because they don't have to invest millions in maintaining an OS and also spend millions on development an application developer base. The result is different spins on what the consumer wants and yes, choice in the market.

11. JaiDaHaus thread starter macrumors newbie

JaiDaHaus

You are obviously not reading what I'm saying, and dont understand what I want. I want whats better for the customers because I'm tired of all these useless excuses for phones. You can't just shove Android OS in a phone and say its a good phone. You have to model the phone to the OS. I want them to limit the use of OS because you can't expect every Android phone to be amazing or useful. So why just let everyone use it. I don't want the market to be a monopoly and I love variety.

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i find many android phones quite impressive. Have you looked at the Motorola atrix docking station setup? That's damn impressive.

So what if there's plenty of phones around. I suppose a clever, 21-year-old college student like you can easily keep track of what current phone models will fit his needs most.

So where's the problem?

13. charliehustle macrumors 6502

Just don't buy it and stop crying.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I kinda agree with the OP. Before you used to find phones like this [​IMG] but now it seems they are just 'slapping in android' to make it better.

15. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

For one there is a variety, on the style of phone what android os allows the phone to do, let alone what version of the os it can have, read more into it then just thinking every android phone is the same because they are not.

plus with androids you can sdk them to root access and develop your own look, apps, feel, and functionality of the phone.

THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.;)

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nothings wrong with choice. If a vendor implements the OS in a halfhearted way then, hopefully, the market will respond with less sales.

Fragmentation is a real issue though. Too many cooks in the kitchen, each trying to take their own spin on things. Vendors are releasing new hardware with older versions of the software.

17. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

You know, the Android OS is better than the iOS because it's on more platforms.

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Using that logic, you're saying that Windows is a better OS that any other OS because its on more platforms.

....which isn't try by any means of the imagination.

Just for note, I am not a mac nor windows nor linux fan boy. I used them all every day. And each is better than the other in its own way.

19. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Absolute crap. They are licenced completely different which allows Android to be on more devices.

That doesn't automatically make it better than iOS.

20. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I seriously doubt any cell phone manufacturer has iPhone in their cross hairs.

It's iPhone playing catch up to the competition, the tables have turned.

21. falconeight Guest

falconeight

IOS is about 2 years outdated and choosing between one phone is lame. The only good thing apple's iphone has going for it is simple people and great marketing.

22. Vegastouch, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Maybe you prefer the term, Cub? :D

Old phone with an old OS. Think back to the iPhone 2G and its OS using 1.1, ...yeah, its come a long ways and so has Android in its short time. Im still kinda bewildered that the iP4 volume still isnt very loud. Dont get why Apple hasnt fixed that efficiently yet. I was running the same game on a iP4 and my Vibrant and my Vibrant was much louder.

I know some here will say their iP4 is plenty loud and it is better than the previous ones but it still isnt as loud as i like it and obviously isnt as loud as other phones.

23. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I brought this up because for several decades this was the pro-Windows anti-Mac mantra. I got old very very quickly. And you know this is gonna happen with the pro-Android anti-iOS fanboys out there. Me, I could give a rats ass what people want to use. I still think the iOS and the iPhone are superior in every way. Granted, the Android has animated home screens...

24. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

iOS needs a major overhaul, although I still think its ahead of Android for the time being. Android just has too many bugs and a lame interface. I came from an EVO and was tired of it after a week.

25. falconeight Guest

falconeight

If IOS could do everything android could do maybe it would be better. Steve would have to grant permission for his users access to the battery, more than one choice of phone, and he would have to change his shirt at least once in his lifetime.