Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I never understood the hate and criticism for the animoji. I admit it's rather silly and I don't see adults having much use for it, but the technology underlying it is rather advanced. This is more like the tip of the iceberg but obviously, a lot of people don't see that. Apple is testing the waters for 3D avatars and bringing it to the masses with a very simple app. What's wrong with that? It's like someone throwing around a paper airplane. It might not make much sense or seem very important but it's the theory behind flight that's important.

So many people kept making fun of the poop animoji and saying that's what represented the iPhone X the most. Absolutely crazy. There's a lot more to iPhone X than poop animoji. That 3D mapping is really neat and could be used for so many other things much more complicated. Those cartoonish characters are just simple skin wrappers. Wait until people start using fully-featured, textured human faces.

I felt the demo portion was quite cringe worthy during the keynote, because all we saw was Craig contorting his face in all sort of silly expressions, not so much the end result.

This is probably a fad, but moving forward, I expect people to come up with more innovative ways of utilising this feature.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Apple engineers could not envision the creative ways their customers would create new forms of entertainment.

This new form of karaoke will probably send the iPhone X sales skyrocketing and we will see the competitors release apps that do this but Apple was first so they win.
[doublepost=1509847123][/doublepost]You know what's next? Remakes of movies with Animoji's just like the Lego characters remade movies

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Seriously, this is genius. Somewhere in Cupertino, a bunch of marketing execs are high fiving each other.

Best of all, this is only made possible by the TrueDepth camera and seeing the state of other brands’ efforts in this field and given that this is technology that Apple designed over a few years for the iPhone X, it’ll be at least 2 years before other brands can copy it with an acceptable degree of accuracy.

The iPhone X is going to be a runaway success.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'm sorry to hear that you're against having fun.

Nope, I’m actually a fun person. I simply find it inexcusable with the issues in today’s world that the main attraction of an $1,145 phone is Animated Emoji. As a society we should be ashamed of these materialistic desires. These features do nothing but drive us deeper into our devices isolating us from reality. :apple:
[doublepost=1509848261][/doublepost]
Is there no joy in your life? Shees

Nope, I’m actually Filled with joy (Touch ID) I simply find it inexcusable with the issues in today’s world that the main attraction of an $1,145 phone is Animated Emoji. As a society we should be ashamed of these materialistic desires. These features do nothing but drive us deeper into our devices isolating us from reality. :apple:
[doublepost=1509848345][/doublepost]
We??? Please don’t project your views onto others. It’s ok to just own it with an “I” instead of “we.”

Nope, I simply find it inexcusable with the issues in today’s world that the main attraction of an $1,145 phone is Animated Emoji. As a society we should be ashamed of these materialistic desires. These features do nothing but drive us deeper into our devices isolating us from reality. :apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bethanie21

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Star Citizen features similar technology ("Face Over IP"), where your in-game avatar matches your lip-syncing and facial expressions. IMO, it's a fantastic move forward in the social side of gaming.

I know Apple isn't really into the gaming market much, but this kind of tech has a huge amount of potential there.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Macrumors’ obsession with emojis is strange.
I used to feel that way. But you know what, like it or not they are part of our world now. And I do think it's pretty cool how there's been almost a new universal language created by emoji, and how you can convey complex ideas with a small number of them—similar to Chinese-derived ideographs—but even more expressively.

If emojis are used more and more on our phones and computers, it does make some sense for MacRumors to pay attention to their story.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Nope, I’m actually a fun person. I simply find it inexcusable with the issues in today’s world that the main attraction of an $1,145 phone is Animated Emoji. As a society we should be ashamed of these materialistic desires. These features do nothing but drive us deeper into our devices isolating us from reality. :apple:

Nope, I’m actually Filled with joy (Touch ID) I simply find it inexcusable with the issues in today’s world that the main attraction of an $1,145 phone is Animated Emoji. As a society we should be ashamed of these materialistic desires. These features do nothing but drive us deeper into our devices isolating us from reality. :apple:

Nope, I simply find it inexcusable with the issues in today’s world that the main attraction of an $1,145 phone is Animated Emoji. As a society we should be ashamed of these materialistic desires. These features do nothing but drive us deeper into our devices isolating us from reality. :apple:

If the main attraction to rhe X, at least to you, is animated emoji? That's on you.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Think bigger. The tech behind animoji could one day allow you to control your phone with glances and gestures, and go on to form the foundation of Apple glasses.
That's exactly why this is important. The animojis are fun but the tech behind them is amazing. That's the real story and is why the animojis are important. They are the start of some really cool applications.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Yeah, I'm not plopping down $1000+ just for this. :rolleyes:

You’re not plopping down just for Animoji. That’s just a bonus feature. Do you realize the tech in the iPhone X is nothing short of amazing? Not just iPhone but most mobile device. Think about where we were not 10 years ago and where we are now. Imagine not having a mobile in your pocket. Computing power to literally send you to the moon and back.

Reactions: flat five

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
....... and you shelled out $1,145 to post that reply. Pretty much makes my case. :rolleyes:
fwiw-
an informal poll in the iPhone forum..
not really showing your case as being a strong one :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/poll-best-x-features.2084741/

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 1.07.54 AM.png

(go vote! ;) )

Last edited:
Reactions: Bethanie21

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
I remember back in the day when we thought we'd have flying cars by now~
We do have flying cars, they are impractical and unsafe. Jesus, we kill enough of each other on the roads, do you really want some dunk asshat crashing their flying car into your house at night?

Reactions: ditzy

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I’m thinking it’ll last for as long as people are using emojis.

The jury is still out on it, its fairly new and I suspect usage will be strong until signs of frequency reach before the next iPhone announcement. IOS 12 will being in more advancements to this capability to stimulate interest and keep the momentum going.

Out of curiosity, how often does one use the iMessage heart beat message. ;)

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

"Nope, I simply find it inexcusable with the issues in today’s world that the main attraction of an $1,145 phone is Animated Emoji. As a society we should be ashamed of these materialistic desires. These features do nothing but drive us deeper into our devices isolating us from reality."

There you go again with the royal "we." And how society should (or did you mean must?) conform to your views. Try not to worry too much about other people and what they like, or what might make them smile. That really should be no concern of yours.

Being such a serious person it's clear Apple products are not for you. The good news is there are many other mobile phone manufacturers, some likely with corporate cultures that would be more in line with your views.

With respect to animated emoji being the main attraction of iPhone X, no. That's hilarious and just something you need to believe in order to support your preconceived narrative about the company.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ok, I feel stupid, but I’m not able to create these like the ones I see. How do you crop the video frame so just the Animoji shows, and include the audio when editing in iMovie? I used the screen record function and recorded the audio playing from my iPad. When I play the clip from my camera roll, the audio is there. It can’t be that complicated, can it? Yes, it’s a slow night. Lol
https://www.imore.com/make-animoji-karaoke?amp

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The jury is still out on it, its fairly new and I suspect usage will be strong until signs of frequency reach before the next iPhone announcement. IOS 12 will being in more advancements to this capability to stimulate interest and keep the momentum going.

Out of curiosity, how often does one use the iMessage heart beat message. ;)

Don’t really use iMessage all that much here in Asia. It’s pretty much whatsapp all the way, with a bit of telegram sprinkled in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.