another g5 startup thread

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Project Alice, May 16, 2017.

1. Project Alice macrumors regular

Project Alice

Hi all,

I have a dual 2.0 G5, it sat for a little over a year but the last time it was hooked up it worked just fine and never really had any issues until now.

It starts up, chimes. and thats it. No video. I can hear hard disk activity for a couple seconds, my display light turns green for half a second then back to orange. then I hear the fans pulsating. You could compare it to a car trying to idle with a massive vacuum leak.

All Ram slots are full and installed in the correct pairs.

What I've tried so far:
    Reseated the graphic card, and removed the USB card I have in it.
    Unplugged all drives and checked the connections.
    Reset PRAM (It does chime the second time but still shows the above symptoms)
    Reset the PMU
    Finally, I replaced the PRAM battery
    After replacing the battery I reset the PMU again to no avail, and then PRAM. Thats when I decided to post here.

I've been reading through other threads for the last hour, how it could be one of the CPUs or the logic board. I just find this unlikely as the computer functioned perfectly fine the last time it was used. I don't see how it sitting in my spare room could cause any harm other than the battery going bad.
    Anyone have any clue?

2. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

Maybe bad RAM or the video card went kaput - as if by a mischievous gnome within the past year.
    Hard to fathom but this can happen.

Try restarting with just a matching pair of RAM as a process of elimination.
    I'm guessing you don't have another video card for the G5 or you'd have try that.

I was reading this post in an iFixit dot com PowerMac G5 thread:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/6016/Why+won't+my+G5+boot#answer130134

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

4. Project Alice thread starter macrumors regular

Project Alice

Update guys, thanks for the replies.

I think my video card may be going out, I tried it with an old dell analog monitor.. and she worked just fine. But it doesn't display anything until the OS is loaded. I can always find another AGP card. At least the G5 works though lol.

5. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

Hello, that scenario sounds similar to an OSX-Mac (Intel Mac Pro in my case) booting up with
    a working flashed PC video card (i.e., bought from reputable eBay seller) whereas with one monitor connected
    1) This DOESN'T appear ---> the displayed apple icon during the beginning POST* test ,
    2) Then after the POST test is finished, the desktop appears.

I guess that is a caveat of many flashed PC video cards (depends on the card model I guess).
    The seller informs this to a buyer. On video cards with two DVI video ports,
    the seller includes a DVI-toVGA adapter for one of the ports for a 2nd monitor.
    The 2nd monitor displays the POST test with the apple icon on bootup.
    Plus it would show the bootup drive options when the [option] is pressed.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your situation, but I thought I'd mention it.

*POST (Power-On Self-Test) is the diagnostic testing sequence that a computer's basic input/output system (or "starting program") runs to determine if the computer keyboard, random access memory, disk drives, and other hardware are working correctly.
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/POST-Power-On-Self-Test

6. Project Alice thread starter macrumors regular

Project Alice

It is an original G5 card. I do have a card I used in my old G4 I can try though.