Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Are there any new phones competing to the iPhone? How about the new blackberry that Verizon has? Is that any good? I need some good offers as where there could be good phones since my plan is going to end by the end of the Spring...with Verizon.

Haephestos

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
The Blackberry you are talking about is the Bold. It is useless, don't get it. A phone that has a chance of competing with the iPhone is the Palm Pre, but that won't be released for a few months.

P.S. Soz about the lack of links, I am on my iPhone.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
The Blackberry you are talking about is the Bold. It is useless, don't get it. A phone that has a chance of competing with the iPhone is the Palm Pre, but that won't be released for a few months.

Wow, thanks for the reply. That phone looks very nice. It has a qwerty board which is what I'm looking into the next phone since i text alot. The only problem is, it has Sprint as its carrier. Im with Verizon, is it going to Verizon? I'll keep an eye on this phone, looks nice.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Wow, thanks for the reply. That phone looks very nice. It has a qwerty board which is what I'm looking into the next phone since i text alot. The only problem is, it has Sprint as its carrier. Im with Verizon, is it going to Verizon? I'll keep an eye on this phone, looks nice.

The Palm Pre will be teaming up with Sprint as their official carrier, just like Apple's iPhone to AT&T. You can't always ask for the phone you want to switch over to the carrier you want. That would be chaotic if it happened. Imagine this: just unlock it *cough* Sprint <-> Verizon *cough* :rolleyes:

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007

Actually the Blackberry has was talking about is the Storm and I think a quick google search will turn up all you need to know on that device, both positive and negative...

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles

well one its not useless at least the blackberry can freaking copy and paste the link, look i love the iphone but its all on preference check out the phones that are available now and rumors say the pre might come out in march. maybe the pre will scare apple into putting all the features it lacks who knows competition is great for everyone.

Haephestos

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Ok soz. Lolz don't flame!
Sorry I meant the Storm and to me (I trialed it), it was useless.

rednano74

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Dover, DE
Are there any new phones competing to the iPhone? How about the new blackberry that Verizon has? Is that any good? I need some good offers as where there could be good phones since my plan is going to end by the end of the Spring...with Verizon.

I ended my contract with Verizon after 5 years the other week to AT&T for the iPhone. I patiently waited for the Storm but was not that impressed albeit I could have gotten the phone for $150. The push/click factor turned me off.

Check out the Samsung Omnia.

aridon

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
Right now the Iphone is still top dog. The Palm Pre looks to be a good start at attacking the Iphone's dominance but its still a few months out and coming out on Sprint to start. The good news is that it will be released in other countries which means it should be able to be unlocked and used here in the US. Eventually AT&T should get one on their own but that would probably be at least 6 months after Sprint.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I suppose it depends on what you want to do. As a messaging device with email in the main, the iPhone is 'useless' to me. It's 'enterprise' features especially are somewhat laughable. I have two iPhones as my backup / alternative line phones, and they don't get a lot of use beyond acting as.. well, iPods. In that respect - media/toyphones - I think they're better than the Blackberry and Nokia I use as my primary phones. In the messaging, contact management and other such smartphone features as well as being an actual phone - not so much. If you mostly noodle on a smartphone and you want something that does everything reasonably, the iPhone is a very good choice. But there are others which do more specific elements of smartphones (much) better.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
There is plenty of up and coming competitors for the iPhone on every carrier except Verizon.

Sprint has the Palm Pre, T-Mobile has the G1, and Verizon has.. the Storm if you consider that competition to the iPhone. I don't.

I am very interested to see what the Palm Pre will actually be as a final product and I'm even more interested to see the G1 or OPhone with Android with the Cupcake update installed.

deadsouls

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
I suppose it depends on what you want to do. As a messaging device with email in the main, the iPhone is 'useless' to me. It's 'enterprise' features especially are somewhat laughable. I have two iPhones as my backup / alternative line phones, and they don't get a lot of use beyond acting as.. well, iPods. In that respect - media/toyphones - I think they're better than the Blackberry and Nokia I use as my primary phones. In the messaging, contact management and other such smartphone features as well as being an actual phone - not so much. If you mostly noodle on a smartphone and you want something that does everything reasonably, the iPhone is a very good choice. But there are others which do more specific elements of smartphones (much) better.

completely agreed. the iphone is basically a media/toyphone. and its not even that great at media since it can't even do stereo bluetooth. the iphone has its perks but there are plenty of other good devices out there. the only reason the iphone is on 'top' is because of marketing and a legion of mindless followers.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
completely agreed. the iphone is basically a media/toyphone. and its not even that great at media since it can't even do stereo bluetooth. the iphone has its perks but there are plenty of other good devices out there. the only reason the iphone is on 'top' is because of marketing and a legion of mindless followers.

Well - it's more that basically speaking, Apple understands the mindless who would follow a lot better than anyone else. It's a serious advantage they have in a wider context: Other smartphone makers (and MP3 player makers before them) have completely failed to understand what makes one accessible to the ignorant masses. Even those of us who aren't 99% of the population* occasionally hanker for something which may be somewhat (to significantly) more compromised, but gets less in your way in an everyday, casual-use mode.

That and the marketing of course.

* People sometimes say I'm incredibly conceited. I have no idea why.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
the only reason the iphone is on 'top' is because of marketing and a legion of mindless followers.
Right.

It has nothing to do with:

1) Email looking better than just about any other phone. (I said look, not perform.)

2) The App Store having a ton of good stuff to put on the phone, an area were most other phones are seriously lacking.

3) Wanting my music and phone to be on one device for convenience.

4) The best web browsing experience on a cell phone.

Nope.

Has nothing to do with any of that. :D

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
There is plenty of up and coming competitors for the iPhone on every carrier except Verizon.

Sprint has the Palm Pre, T-Mobile has the G1, and Verizon has.. the Storm if you consider that competition to the iPhone. I don't.

I am very interested to see what the Palm Pre will actually be as a final product and I'm even more interested to see the G1 or OPhone with Android with the Cupcake update installed.

Man, It almost makes me ashame of being with Verizon. The only reason im with Verizon is because my parents pay for it and I believe it is cheaper. Correct me if Im wrong.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
I have both the iPhone & G1. They are both great, except iPhone edges the G1 just a tad due to my getting used to the sliding out keyboard on the G1. I HATE the protruding lower chin on the G1 as it kills my wrist typing on the keyboard. If the G1 got rid of the QWERTY keyboard & had just only touchscreen I would let go of my iPhone because: 1. the G1 plan on T-mobile is cheaper, 2. G1 has a user replaceable battery.

Minus a few quirks, I think the G1 is a great phone & a highly reccomended alternative if you can't get the iPhone.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

Since when is the Bold on Verizon? That's at&t only. He's definitely talking about the Blackberry Storm.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Anyone?

Does anyone know if Verizon is coming out with a new cell phone in the near future? The only reason I don't go with anyone else is because well, my parents pay for it. Then I ask why we cant switch is because they Verizon is cheaper. Any future ones with Verizon because my contract runs out in May, wondering If i should just wait etc.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Well I haven't heard of any new fancy phones from Verizon. If I were you I'd try and get the nicest phone I could without a contract, so you can hop to another carrier as soon as you can.

Giiiirl, the G1, iPhone, Bold (and probably Pre) are daaaaank devices. You should convince your parents to switch carriers and get those for them and you. (graduation, Christmas, birthday present??)

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Everything goes back to OS, which right now iPhone is the clear front runner.

It doesn't matter who's making the phone or what kind of spec it has, it cannot go beyond what the OS is able to provide.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Rumors in other phone forums say the Pre is only exclusive to Sprint for about three months. After that, Verizon (and ATT) could sell versions.

Oh Jeez. It gives me a little bit of hope that there is a chance of the Palm Pre to go to Verizon. But I don't know if it is worth waiting 3-4 months to see it go to other companies because my contract is up in May. I dont know if a phone works while you have no contract.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Oh Jeez. It gives me a little bit of hope that there is a chance of the Palm Pre to go to Verizon. But I don't know if it is worth waiting 3-4 months to see it go to other companies because my contract is up in May. I dont know if a phone works while you have no contract.

It will. You don't need to make a new contract. Just keep paying your bill and you'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.