Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
OK, this isn't really a problem, kinda just asking for opinions. I noticed that in my web browser poll, the top browser was TenFourFox. For me, at least, LWK is much faster. So, how come so many of you use TFF over WebKit? @eyoungren told me it was because TFF was more customizable. I'm curious to hear other opinions. If I hear some good reasons, I may start using TFF as my default browser again.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I use TenFourFox because I can use it on G3 machines. Also because I've never tried Webkit. :p
I like the fact it's (apparently) more secure, and the overall speed with TFF, even on the lowest end G3 machine I have, works just fine for me. :)

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I use TenFourFox because I can use it on G3 machines. Also because I've never tried Webkit. :p
I like the fact it's (apparently) more secure, and the overall speed with TFF, even on the lowest end G3 machine I have, works just fine for me. :)
I suggest you try out LWK. You'll be amazed by the speed.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'd use Leopard Webkit over TenFourFox on the G4 Cube if it would be compatible with Mac OS X Tiger. On the G5 Quad, Leopard Webkit is occasionally very glitchy, and TenFourFox is fast enough on this hardware; but on the Quad or even with Intel Firefox running on older Core 2 Duo Macs performance is still lackluster.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Good point. :D Safari 4 is still totally useable, not many people see that.

I'm reading this comment with interest. I'm currently using an SSD equipped G4 1GHz Ti Powerbook with 1GB memory.
Have used TFF (highly tweaked) on this and my other PPC's for some considerable time now, in fact I cannot remember the last time I fired up Safari! Which made me wonder, 'why not give it a spin'.
After setting up this PPC forum as the home page in the preferences of both web browsers, I carried out a back to back test.
Time until site initially appeared on screen: TFF 20secs Safari 7secs
Time for site to load completely: TFF 29secs Safari 15secs
Startling results, so I repeated each test ensuring that each respective browser had been previously 'QUIT'
Results were identical. Now that's got me thinking, should I not be using Safari more regularly?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I just use Safari never had nay issues with websites.
Care to tell us your web browsing usage?

If it's light usage with Safari and no heavy javascript sites then I can buy your comment.
[doublepost=1481029699][/doublepost]
Good point. :D Safari 4 is still totally useable, not many people see that.
I don't see that because it's not useable to me.

Just try doing a Google image search.
[doublepost=1481029798][/doublepost]
I suggest you try out LWK. You'll be amazed by the speed.
Speed is not the be all end all for everyone.

As I have said before, I will sacrafice some speed for customization. It's not important to me that my Facebook page loads a split second faster in Safari then it does in TFF.
[doublepost=1481029980][/doublepost]
I'm reading this comment with interest. I'm currently using an SSD equipped G4 1GHz Ti Powerbook with 1GB memory.
Have used TFF (highly tweaked) on this and my other PPC's for some considerable time now, in fact I cannot remember the last time I fired up Safari! Which made me wonder, 'why not give it a spin'.
After setting up this PPC forum as the home page in the preferences of both web browsers, I carried out a back to back test.
Time until site initially appeared on screen: TFF 20secs Safari 7secs
Time for site to load completely: TFF 29secs Safari 15secs
Startling results, so I repeated each test ensuring that each respective browser had been previously 'QUIT'
Results were identical. Now that's got me thinking, should I not be using Safari more regularly?
Try your test again with both browsers open and running but on different pages and then coming back to this page.

T4FX is initially slow in the beginning because there are background processes it conducts when first booting up. After it's been running for a while it's no longer running those processes.

Last edited:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I'm using TFF on the TiBook 667 which is running Tiger. There's no WebKit for Tiger and Safari v4 is insecure and increasingly unsupported by a number of sites. TFF is getting better at optimising the javascript heavy sites of the modern web and with bluehell firewall added to block ads it works well. TFF can be a little slow to start up, but it settles down after a few minutes. Just don't close it or open multiple tabs (as it's running in a single process).

Reactions: eyoungren

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
If we talk about speed we talk about Demeter. It is with no doubt the fastest browser available for PPC Macs.

I use TFF the most because of stability. I use to have a lot of tabs opened and TFF handles them just fine while Webkit shows spinning beachballs and then crashes. Due to this fact I also prefer it over Chrome on my windows machines, obiviously for "it" i mean Firefox in this case.

Another thing (apart addons and customization which make it amazing) that makes me preferring TFF over Webkit is that the former handles new and complex sites better than the latter, infact often Webkit with complex sites makes you wait a lot of time, while TFF opens them almost istantly.

Webkit is faster in scrolling, but this is not enough to me for the reasons i have given earlier.

Anyway I have to say I use @eyoungren 's tweaks, which help a lot in improving TFF speed

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If we talk about speed we talk about Demeter. It is with no doubt the fastest browser available for PPC Macs.
I have to agree. Demeter, even though it's still webkit, runs circles around any other webkit browser. Just a shame it was never able to get to it's full potential before being dropped from development.

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
LWK vs TFF. Well, I'm running ten point four, so that should answer your question right there... as L means 10.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.