Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Initially I wasn't looking at purchasing the Apple Watch at all, until I seen a Sport model forsale on my local classifieds, I figured I would bite the bullet and try it out.

The watch is a wearable, so without doubt it will scratch over time (normal wear and tear). I'm not all too worried as the watch has AppleCare+ applied.

I would love to purchase a SS model, but simply cannot justify spending an arm and a leg for a first gen product that will become obsolete over a few years.

At the end of the day I'm happy with the purchase.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I think this is a good point. I was not a watch wearer before getting a Pebble and have always been uncomfortable wearing something on my wrist. I appreciate the "can barely feel it" weight of the sport. I think someone used to the weight of a watch on their wrist would not feel the same way.

I was wearing a super heavy Eco drive Nighthawk before the sport. The weight difference felt weird at first but after a day or so I got over it. I'm not sure why people would actually prefer something heavier on their wrist all else being equal.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
After trying them both on, I went for the sport. I just didn't like the shininess of the SS. I like how the sport is slightly more understated.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
After trying them both on, I went for the sport. I just didn't like the shininess of the SS. I like how the sport is slightly more understated.

The one huge advantage of the SS is its versatility. Once third party bands come out SS owners are going to have a huge variety of options to choose from. It'd be tough to pair a sport with, say, a croc skin band and not have it look out of place.

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
The one huge advantage of the SS is its versatility. Once third party bands come out SS owners are going to have a huge variety of options to choose from. It'd be tough to pair a sport with, say, a croc skin band and not have it look out of place.

I disagree. Happily aesthetics choices are personal.

Yanman

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
Absolutely no regrets here. Picked up a 42mm sport WSB. Love it, especially for working out and notifications. except for third party app lag, it's a great product.

chiffchaff

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Western US
I agree with those who said not to think of the sport as the "cheap" choice. It's more of a style thing. The sport is more casual, the SS dressier. Pick what matches your style and expected use.

For me, the space grey sport is just right since it is understated enough to wear with business casual clothes (in my opinion, YMMV) and also fits in well with my life outside of work. I almost never need to really "dress up" so it was an easy call for me.

The fact that the sport does cost less was a bonus but not the main decision factor for me.

vinzb

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
To be honest I don't think, that the Sports does look like a watch, that you spend 400€ on, so I returned it
On the otherhand, the Stainless Steel is a bit too expensive, to get it just for the look (don't fear scratches, so the Sapphire Display is no reason).
But I think i'll get the SS as soon, as it is available in the Apple Stores

Last edited:

PLamarine

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Central MA
I was rocking a sport and sold it for a SS model. Much happier. The sport was nice but i needed a watch that is a little more dressy when called for.

Of course I sold my SG for double the profit so the SS didn't cost me too much.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I made the mistake of listening to people here and the reviews saying go for the cheapest one , it's a first gen

Now I want the SS

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I made the mistake of listening to people here and the reviews saying go for the cheapest one , it's a first gen

Now I want the SS

You want the SS due to the way the products have been positioned, leading you to the unconscious desire to not be seen to have chosen the base model. Whatever you go with, buyer's remorse may encourage you to latch on to small differences to justify your decision e.g. the SS is more flexible or scratch resistant / the sport suits my athletic tendencies...

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
My only regret so far is that I find band options are a lot more limited. Most bands seem to come with a metal attachment (like the classic and modern buckle) which I feel look better with the SS than the brushed aluminum.

I'm hoping third party bands will fix that, though-- considering Apple sold more Sports than SS versions, I expect there's a huge market out there for people wanting a metal-free connection like the Sport Bands and Leather Loop have.

I do worry about the screen, but I think given the shape of the Watch and all those exposed corners, I would worry nearly as much with the Sapphire. Given that it's a first gen product which I anticipate I will want to upgrade in the next two releases, and also my first wearable item that I was unsure would fit into my life at all, I felt more comfortable with the cheaper option. I also feel like I would have expected more and been harder to please if I'd spent more, so I might not have enjoyed the product as much and would have been more hung up on the little glitches we've all experienced.

My 2c: I'm glad I went for the Sport for this version. I'm as yet undecided if I'll stick with the Sport or upgrade to the SS model on the next release (assuming there is an option next time around), though. They both have appeal for me.

Shawnlock

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
I guess I'm lucky. The sport version was the one I wanted from the get go. I love the way it looks and it's SO much fun to use :)

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I haven't gotten my watch yet, but I doubt I'll have any regrets going with the SG Sport. The only SS I'm interested in is the space black, and that's so much more expensive that I can't possibly justify that for a gen 1 device. When we're on gen 3 or 4 and the quirks have been more worked out and the feature set has been expanded, then I'll splurge on the black SS.

rjdoc74

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
We are all very different people with different needs and wants. For me, SG sport was more like a Fidbit sports band. I sold it and traded up to 42 mm SS ML and couldn't be happier.

Uppercut05

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
I couldn't be happier with my 42m silver sport with blue band. I get that many people will prefer the SS, but I reckon my watch looks great. It is also ideal for what I want.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
You want the SS due to the way the products have been positioned, leading you to the unconscious desire to not be seen to have chosen the base model. Whatever you go with, buyer's remorse may encourage you to latch on to small differences to justify your decision e.g. the SS is more flexible or scratch resistant / the sport suits my athletic tendencies...

What the hell did you just say

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
Very happy with my 38mm Space Gray Sport. Between the matte finish of the Sport and the glossy finish of the stainless steel, I prefer the matte finish anyway. Even if they were the same price, I'd still opt for the Sport. Well, I should specify - the Space Gray version looks fine, but IMO the regular Sport can look a little techy/like a toy to me.

The only knock on my Watch is that my particular model has the least amount of flexibility with Apple's bands offering. I would have bought a leather loop but they don't have a 38mm version.

Bigboi

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
I ordered the SG but reading reviews and looking at videos on YouTube I decided to go with the SS bsb. Not only will you get an upgrade with sapphire glass but also the ceramic back, the charger and even the box it comes in. I do like the SG color but reading and seeing pictures on this site how the Sport getting scratched by jus bumping into walls and tables was a big turn off for me.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I got the Sport first, thinking I'd get the cheapest version since it is a launch product. Then I saw the SS in person and there really was a pretty big difference in look and feel. I couldn't care less about the sapphire display (in fact, I liked the Ion-X more because it glared less in the sun) or ceramic back, but the shiny factor got me, so I bought a SS. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.