Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uppercut05

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
Sport is the toy edition for kids...

I can't understand the need some SS wearers have to rubbish the sport to make them feel better about their choice.

Sports look nothing like "toys". They are, however, the entry level model. I would expect the considerably more expensive SS model to look like the more expensive model. If that's what you look for then go for it.

But the sport looks great. And being lighter it's got it's definite role to play

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I questioned whether I should've ordered the SS instead of the SG Sport. I ordered a second watch, the SS, in case it shipped sooner. SG Sport arrived first and I'm likely going to hold onto it.

SS is definitely more versatile, but SG is sleek and looks really good. All that bs about it feeling and looking cheap are from people trying to impress the Internet.

The sport doesn't look good with any band but the sport, no versatility

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
I can't understand the need some SS wearers have to rubbish the sport to make them feel better about their choice.

Sports look nothing like "toys". They are, however, the entry level model. I would expect the considerably more expensive SS model to look like the more expensive model. If that's what you look for then go for it.

But the sport looks great. And being lighter it's got it's definite role to play

It looks great. And it's given to the kid as a toy.

Reminded me of my first digital watch when I was a kid, except it's way more advanced.

----------

The sport doesn't look good with any band but the sport, no versatility

Put a case around it and it resembles a G-Shock. Ideal for kids.

iluvgadgets

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
I have sports and it's fine. I initially wanted the ss with the m-loop band, but did want to spend that much on this watch.

I'm happy with my sports model, may order other bands but for now I'm pleased. I'm not that hard on watches. I've had my Samsung watch over a year with no scratches and no screen protector.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

I don't think the SS owners are trying to make themselves feel better. I don't have any AppleWatch and have no interest in getting one until possibly 3 generations later but I can say with conviction that the Sport Watch does look cheap. Like a knock off. I would be getting the stainless myself. By the 3rd or 4th gen the Sport might be looking better but the current version does look cheap.

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Except that it could have easily been avoided by tucking the tail on the outside of the band, or using magnets like the leather/milanese loop bands. Not a huge complaint, but it is an avoidable problem.

Having the band tuck inside is actually way better. It looks infinitely better. The band looks like it is one piece instead of having the tail end of it flopping around or having to have a loop to hold it down. Aesthetically more appealing in every way. Magnets run the risk of extra stress on the rubber which over time could wear it down. Putting the band on, in its current form, is a little awkward at first, but it really is a stroke of genius in and of itself.

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
I got the 42mm Sports with a White band, and I'm very happy. I'm looking into getting a Space Grey Sports as well. I like the aluminum casing.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
You realize that Canadian dollars are worth 80% of American dollars, and Canadians pay an extra 5% GST.

So that $100 difference is really about $25. Still more, but not $100 American more.

$80 + $80 + $80 -$15 = $225

its funny tho - even though our dollars are worth 80% of the american dollar, our cost of living didn't suddenly drop 20%. (is that how that works?) Its not like we all suddenly got raises here in Canada.

sh it's more expensive and I feel poorer because of the exchange. Heck, I think I AM poorer. My bank account just lost 20% of its value! (in the past .. what 12-18 months?)

Redenkeew

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
NYC
No regrets here. I prefer the look of my matte space gray sport, compared to the shiny SS. Also, the idea of having to have the SS polished every so often due to tiny scratches would drive my OCD up the wall.

Ditto! :cool:

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I pre-ordered the SG because I didn't want to spend a lot on a 1st-gen product. I even did a try-on, and was convinced I made the right decision.

One week after receiving the SG, I began to wish that I had gotten the SS instead. I do like the SG, but I was thinking of the "classiness" of the SS. It didn't help that this forum started talking about the benefits of having sapphire glass. I looked at the SS at my local Apple Store, but did not have a try-on. I was torn. Unfortunately, if I ordered a SS now I would get it in July. I did it anyway, a SS with Black Sport Band, which delivers in July.

Since that time, I've grown to be content with my SG. I backed the Click adapter from Kickstarter, and chose their steel and leather bands. Maybe that will add some "class" to my SG. The SS I ordered still says July, but I won't cancel it. When I get it, I'll decide again. But for now, I'm sticking with my SG.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I have an SS on order but I still think the Sport is great. For me, the Sport is priced at a favourable point where if it got scratched I wouldnt lose sleep over it and would just buy another.
The SS looks classy and that's the problem. If it got scratched or damaged it would lose that feel of quality.
It's two different markets.
I keep thinking about buying a sport for daily use and wear the SS in the evenings. It's the pairing and unpairing that would be a pain though.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yes. I was in the market for a SS watch even before the AW was released but for $549+, I could easily get a few SS watches for that price. It's all going to depend on how the updates look for the watch for me.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I'll flip it and give my answer...

I actually had the 42mm SS w/ BSB for 2 weeks and yesterday it was in the mail ready to ship to another owner. Why? To be honest, it wasn't that special looking and I personally couldn't justify the price, even with me being comfortable with my finances.

With that said, I ordered a 42mm space gray, have to wait forever to get it, but I know what to expect when I get it and can live with that.

Personally I am very active and the SS was very uncomfortable after a while wearing it.

Happy with my choice of switching from SS to Aluminum SG

Look forward to what the 2nd generation brings to the table

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I'll flip it and give my answer...

I actually had the 42mm SS w/ BSB for 2 weeks and yesterday it was in the mail ready to ship to another owner. Why? To be honest, it wasn't that special looking and I personally couldn't justify the price, even with me being comfortable with my finances.

With that said, I ordered a 42mm space gray, have to wait forever to get it, but I know what to expect when I get it and can live with that.

Personally I am very active and the SS was very uncomfortable after a while wearing it.

Happy with my choice of switching from SS to Aluminum SG

Look forward to what the 2nd generation brings to the table

How so?

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Maybe people that got the Sport model actually got it to workout with? I have a 42mm SG Sport that I run/lift/play outside with my kids with. I wouldn't want to do all that with a stainless steel watch, and certainly don't with my 8k stainless steel Panerai.

They made the Sport for a reason, and it's not just to be the "cheap model".

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
I'm leaning heavily towards the sport w/apple care. Maybe gen 2 will be better and I can always hand the sport one off to my son when/if I upgrade next year or when/if they release a black s/s model with sport band. I don't have a need for the link bracelet.

*I'm a mailman. I don't need anything fancy and my main reason for wanting one is for running.

Last edited:

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I'm just wondering ...

This thread appears to consist of two groups.

The ones that have the Sport model and think or thought there are missing out.
The ones that bought the SS model and think it was too expensive to justify the purchase.

I'm still waiting for my SS model, my worry is not the absolute price tag, but the idea that I could buy a lot of other fun things for over $900.

I really hope I will not fall into group two, because I have to say I really don't like the Sport model, but I might also be disappointed by the SS.

If a few months will be gone by, we might all realise that Apple sold us a miniature iOS device without any real qualities of a watch.

I haven't worn a watch in 20+ years and might be looking into real watches if I don't think Apple delivered a solid product.

This sounds even more strange, but a watch you can hand down has more appeal than a small electronic device that will be obsolete anyways.

I'll let you know when I get mine, my skepticism grows not because of the product itself, but the realisation that this is not a something I like to hang on to. It has no long term value as far as I'm concerned.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
If a few months will be gone by, we might all realise that Apple sold us a miniature iOS device without any real qualities of a watch.

Real qualities of a watch? As long as it tells time it does everything a watch can do

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

Not too sure how so, but I found myself a few times a day taking off the watch to let my wrist breathe a sec and then putting the watch back on.

It didn't get in the way of weightlifting but just felt uncomfortable at points throughout a full day.

Maybe it's the weight of the SS? It's not heavy, but something felt off and definitely wasn't comfortable throughout a full day.

Obviously users will vary

zumpy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
It looks great. And it's given to the kid as a toy.

Reminded me of my first digital watch when I was a kid, except it's way more advanced.

----------

Put a case around it and it resembles a G-Shock. Ideal for kids.

That kind of statement pretty much indicates the maturity level of the poster!
It's not the watch that makes the man, it's the man that makes the watch.
It doesn't make a lot of difference which watch you like, by the end of the year there will be a $20 knock off version that will look, at a glance, like your expensive "Big Boy" watch anyways, and everyone will think you just own a cheap dollar store look-a-like!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.