Anybody else having trouble with Adobe CC programs after installing an NVIDIA graphics card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sgentile92, Sep 28, 2016.

1. sgentile92 macrumors member

I installed a flashed NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 in my Mac Pro 2009 (flashed to 5,1) to power my 4K display. I have the most up to date NVIDIA Web Driver available for OS 10.11.3 (web driver is 346.03.05f02). The card works fine except Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign (all the latest versions) crash about every 15 or so minutes. Has anybody else had this problem or know what the issue could be? I also noticed that Illustrator seems to stop crashing if I disable the "GPU Performance" option, however this makes illustrator unusably slow.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this. I'm a graphic designer so I'm using these programs all the time but its become a real struggle.

2. Christian Schumacher macrumors newbie

Christian Schumacher

It seems that there are many issues with Adobe CC, Nvidia and El Capitan updates

Many blogs, forums, etc reporting this ( my reference is Adobe AE / PR though )

3. orph, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

orph macrumors 6502a

there are problems with GTX 9XX cards and adobe apps, use a GTX6XX or GTX7XX card or something from ati.

i think if you want it to work you have to disable openCL (or was it openGL), adobe did one patch that just blocked metal from ruining on the cards.

i think thats correct from what i have read, always best to double check.
    adobe dose provide support with CC so worth asking them to.

if you google it there's a few hit's seems you need to disable openCL in all the apps that crash in there prefes http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308903-opencl-gtx970-problem/

lol just noticed in the similar threads section http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/latest-nvidia-webdriver-issue-with-adobe-cc.1983817/

4. Christian Schumacher macrumors newbie

Christian Schumacher

When running Adobe software, Apple OS updates shouldn't be something you'd strive for. Just stay a little behind, for instance I'm running Adobe CC with OS X 10.10.5 - Yosemite

5. Asgorath macrumors 65816

NVIDIA tends to only fix issues for the latest release though, so perhaps you want to try 10.12 and the corresponding web driver. There have been plenty of reports of issues with FCPX and the Adobe apps that went away with later 10.11 releases and then 10.12. In short, if you're using 10.11 make sure you're on the latest version available, don't stick with 10.11.3 because any issues will never get fixed.

6. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan, Sep 29, 2016

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

The web driver only has beta support for Maxwell. You can update all other software just fine. If any salesman recommended the use of Maxwell cards on a Mac for professional use, demand a refund from them. Pros should not be using unofficial unlicensed products running beta quality drivers.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Known issue. There is discussion in this Adobe forum about it, and Adobe support recommends a workaround by disabling Metal for the Adobe apps.

Alternatively, you can also roll back to Yosemite, which is inherently pre-Metal.

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

CL bugs and crashes were there in Yosemite web drivers too, just less severe

9. Asgorath macrumors 65816

And many/most (all?) have been fixed in the latest web driver, which at this time is for 10.12.

10. TzunamiOSX, Sep 29, 2016

TzunamiOSX macrumors regular

I have a 980 GTX and no problems with CS6, since I have uninstalled the CUDA driver. Before the uninstall, the computer has crashed frequently.