Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harpyeagle

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
Am I missing something here? Wasn't the justification of the expense thought out before the purchase?

Well thought out w/o ever really using one for some time? Hmm..how well thought out could it really be?

I returned mine within three hours as I knew if I had to justify the price, I should not see it stuttering to run basic videos, not have the same version of iOS that a 5" iPhone has and also having the 6s+ with the second generation Touch ID and 3D Touch didn't help either as the iPad Pro had none of these except with a bloated cost.

It's a nice device but iOS has to be different for me to be something Pro. I'll try again in a couple of years. Fail for now though.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
No. Why would I if this was a well thought out decision to purchase it in the first place?

Al
That's simple actually.

Well thought out or not, one is buying a device that's never been available before. One that provides an unknown experience until you try it, your comment sounds awfully defensive.

Why insult your fellow Forum Members, acting like an elitist worshipper?

arftech99

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
MD, USA
Thinking about a thingy is very different than using a thingy...

I can go with that but
That's simple actually.

Well thought out or not, one is buying a device that's never been available before. One that provides an unknown experience until you try it, your comment sounds awfully defensive.

Why insult your fellow Forum Members, acting like an elitist worshipper?

I worship no object or man and is far from being elitist. What say you?

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Tried the demo out at Bestbuy today. Weight isnt an issue, and i dont think size is toooo big, but just imagining using is on my lap, and having to have one hand prop it up makes me not want it.

However if you like multi tasking on an ipad, this is definitely the one to go with.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Tried the demo out at Bestbuy today. Weight isnt an issue, and i dont think size is toooo big, but just imagining using is on my lap, and having to have one hand prop it up makes me not want it.

However if you like multi tasking on an ipad, this is definitely the one to go with.

The smart keyboard supports the ipad perfectly on my lap when sitting. Because of the width in landscape mode I dont have to keep pressing my legs together as I did with other smaller ipads with keyboards.

Reactions: npolly0212

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
I read that after the 14 day return you receive an apple gift card and not cash back...

That's not true. The extended return date is under the same terms and conditions as the normal 14 day return. If it wasn't they would need to disclose it on the receipt which they have not.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Within less than 24 hours I returned the one I bought at the Apple Store via preorder/ in store pickup. Unopened. The salespeople were surprised.

The reason was that I had bought one at BestBuy using my RewardZone instead. Best Buy has a longer return window.

I'm anxiously awaiting the pencil before I make my final decision.

Last edited:

bowlman2345

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2015
I purchased this and was a bit skeptical. I also got the Surface Pro 4 to compare and I'll return one before the end of the weekend. I don't have the pencil or the keyboard. So far, it's the iPad I haven't been able to put down. I don't find it too big personally. The weight is extremely light for how large it is, but like I said, it's actually not heavy nor terribly big.

I'm typing this on my lap using the on screen keyboard. To me, this is the proper size an iPad should be as it was intended to be more of a coffee table type of use. Can it replace the laptop? No. But for me, it can do 90% of what I do on my laptop. Since I got this, I've picked up the surface twice. This is for me a better use than I thought it would be.

I'm actually more shocked at how much I like the Pro. I fully expected to use the surface and return the iPad. I'm likely going the other way now. I use my Note 5 for most of my portable uses. This is the tablet I'll use any other time.

I noticed when I got my Note 5, I didn't use the tablet as much. Now that the disparity in size is so vast, I think I have the desire to pick up the pro more when I'm home.

Just my two cents. I recognize it's not a product for everyone.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I purchased this and was a bit skeptical. I also got the Surface Pro 4 to compare and I'll return one before the end of the weekend. I don't have the pencil or the keyboard. So far, it's the iPad I haven't been able to put down. I don't find it too big personally. The weight is extremely light for how large it is, but like I said, it's actually not heavy nor terribly big.

I'm typing this on my lap using the on screen keyboard. To me, this is the proper size an iPad should be as it was intended to be more of a coffee table type of use. Can it replace the laptop? No. But for me, it can do 90% of what I do on my laptop. Since I got this, I've picked up the surface twice. This is for me a better use than I thought it would be.

I'm actually more shocked at how much I like the Pro. I fully expected to use the surface and return the iPad. I'm likely going the other way now. I use my Note 5 for most of my portable uses. This is the tablet I'll use any other time.

I noticed when I got my Note 5, I didn't use the tablet as much. Now that the disparity in size is so vast, I think I have the desire to pick up the pro more when I'm home.

Just my two cents. I recognize it's not a product for everyone.
As long as you end up with what works best for you it's a big win... :D

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Honestly the screen is fantastic. The weight is good, but there are hardly any apps that utilise the iPad Pro fully. Even screen multitasking is slightly annoying because you can't resize exactly, only predetermined widths. Looking at text books and A4 magazines is a true pleasure. However I tried to find some good games to play on the iPad and the selection really sucks compared to Windows and steam. I'm waiting for the Surface Pro 4 to arrive in my country to test both out against each other.

As a big iPad it's great but I don't know if I want to spend 1000+ on an iPad. The Surface Pro 4 can do that and is a full computer and play fantastic games like Diablo 3, Battlefield and Dota.

I think the Pen feature has to be a big draw for you (artist or designer). For me I'm more of a note taker and don't need absolute precision or shading. I think I'll prefer the eraser on the SP4 pen instead.

The battery life seems great on the iPad Pro. I think even with the addition of the pen, it's a consumption device first.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
As a big iPad it's great but I don't know if I want to spend 1000+ on an iPad. The Surface Pro 4 can do that and is a full computer and play fantastic games like Diablo 3, Battlefield and Dota.

I'm leaning towards the SP4 but giving myself until Saturday to decide. Which SP4 model are you getting for gaming, i7 with Iris? Otherwise, you might have to turn down the resolution.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Well made it to the Augusta Apple Store tonight ~hour and a half drive. Picked up 32gb space gray pro and they said they had sold the last pencil a few minutes before I walked in..was very mad but now gotta wait weeks upon weeks for the pencil

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i walked into my local apple store yesterday and picked up a space grey 128GB wifi. i'd been waiting for this to see if it would satisfy me or whether i should just wait for the next iteration of the macbook...

my current thought is that i will return it. i am not a creative type so the pencil is not a necessity for me...i want it to be a laptop...and i suppose that i should get the logitech keyboard case and it will be a laptop, but as many have said, the optimized apps are few and far between, and even though it's 90-95% a laptop replacement, that last 5-10% matters for me. i have a couple weeks to make my mind up for certain, so i'll be playing around with it a bit longer...maybe i'll also pick up the case to see whether that sways me in any way.

i had the new apple TV for a couple weeks, too, and ended up returning it as it didn't do anything different for me than my current apple tv, save for plex, which is pretty cool on the apple tv.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
i walked into my local apple store yesterday and picked up a space grey 128GB wifi. i'd been waiting for this to see if it would satisfy me or whether i should just wait for the next iteration of the macbook...

my current thought is that i will return it. i am not a creative type so the pencil is not a necessity for me...i want it to be a laptop...and i suppose that i should get the logitech keyboard case and it will be a laptop, but as many have said, the optimized apps are few and far between, and even though it's 90-95% a laptop replacement, that last 5-10% matters for me. i have a couple weeks to make my mind up for certain, so i'll be playing around with it a bit longer...maybe i'll also pick up the case to see whether that sways me in any way.

i had the new apple TV for a couple weeks, too, and ended up returning it as it didn't do anything different for me than my current apple tv, save for plex, which is pretty cool on the apple tv.
Did you pick up a pencil?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
That's simple actually.

This. For me, the problems didn't really show up until day 2, so it isn't like playing with it in store would have convinced me to say no. The weight isn't horrible, but it adds up over time. This thing is better when you use it at a desk or on your lap most of time. But if you hold it often enough to use while standing, or prop it up with your hand, it becomes fatiguing. While there are still places where it works better than my Air because of the bigger screen, it can't take over the majority of my tablet use, so it has to go back.

I'm still sold on the Pencil, so I'm hoping the next Air picks up the screen changes required to use it. The Pencil was half the reason for getting it, and it would be awesome with an Air 3.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
This. For me, the problems didn't really show up until day 2, so it isn't like playing with it in store would have convinced me to say no. The weight isn't horrible, but it adds up over time. This thing is better when you use it at a desk or on your lap most of time. But if you hold it often enough to use while standing, or prop it up with your hand, it becomes fatiguing. While there are still places where it works better than my Air because of the bigger screen, it can't take over the majority of my tablet use, so it has to go back.

I'm still sold on the Pencil, so I'm hoping the next Air picks up the screen changes required to use it. The Pencil was half the reason for getting it, and it would be awesome with an Air 3.
Dud you purchase a pro and return already or just decide not to get one?

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I said I would never pay for a brand new iPad again after I spent $729 on a 32GB AT&T Cellular iPad Air...then I go and get this 128GB iPad Pro for $949...so far I like it with no plans to return it. I may watch more on this than my TV.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
The plan was to sell my ipad and macbook air for this but theres one thing i need the air for, so ill probably return it. Unless anyone can figure out an app thats like vdmx and can output to an external monitor/projector

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
The plan was to sell my ipad and macbook air for this but theres one thing i need the air for, so ill probably return it. Unless anyone can figure out an app thats like vdmx and can output to an external monitor/projector
did you just get the iPad? no accessories or anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.