Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
did you just get the iPad? no accessories or anything?
I have accessories for my current ipad. So far just the iPad but was going to get a pencil and a keyboard eventually. If i can make vjay work ok i might keep it but thats kind of a toy.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Well that was fast, packed up and ready to return tonight. Couldn't find a reason to keep it being an iPad Mini 2 and Retina Macbook owner. Maybe next time when it has OSX
Did you already test out Apple pencil or anything or was that not the selling point?

Wintrmte

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Idaho
I'm still on the fence with mine. I bought the Logitech keyboard and it seems to feel comfortable in my lap when sitting on the keyboard. So far, it does what I need.

The deal breaker will be the pencil for me.. I love to take notes at work by writing them and I am hoping that the OneNote app will work well with the Pencil. Unfortunately my order says the pencil will be delivered sometime around Dec 15. :\

Also -- for those concerned with the 14 day return policy @ the Apple stores -- it's holiday time and so returns are extended through Jan 8th I think. The Apple Store folks told me this as I was checking out.

So, you have some time -- don't feel too rushed.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
After getting mine and using for a few hours I am truly in love with it lol. This screen size has been what I have wanted since the day I first ever purchased a tablet

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
I am a big impulse buyer and they probably would have gotten me if they had pencils in stock. I was a Surface Pro 3 owner who upgraded to the Surface Pro 4, and when I used the Apple Pencil in store today I was very impressed at its precision, felt better than the surface pen. May have purchased right then and there, but no pencils in stock and didn't know when they would get any. I am in school and would have loved this as a complement to my SP4 for notes.

Checked Apple online store and pencil says 4-5 weeks. I feel the pencil is the real selling point of the pro and Apple is losing sales by not having in stock. By time they have the pencil my lust for the product will have probably died down.

Reactions: Atomic Walrus

tatsumi

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2015
I am super happy with it and consider using it more often on-the-go than my MacBook 15". I can let my macbook at home at some times and remotely access it via iPad and even do some programming etc. like that.

Also the Pencil is just godlike and a big plus for me is, that the pencil is a lot more silent than other hard-tipped iPad pens (like Wacom etc.). That makes it perfect for me to use it in my japanese classes.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
I'm leaning towards the SP4 but giving myself until Saturday to decide. Which SP4 model are you getting for gaming, i7 with Iris? Otherwise, you might have to turn down the resolution.
I have the i5 on order but I may return it and go for the i7 depending on what the reviews are like about iris. It's hard to justify the extra money though. It gets expensive fast.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
With the logitech case it's heavier than any laptop I've ever used , but considering I will probably never leave the house with it , I guess it's not that big a deal...

Not really Apple's fault their accessory manufacturers produce something like that is it ?

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
I am thinking of returning mine. It just does not handle enough of my workflow to justify the price or Pro name in my opinion. However, I could see how for some people it could including graphic designers. But for my usage this is an iPad Plus and not a Pro device and I do not see this reinvigorating iPad sales. I may be very wrong though and I am curious how it will play out.
I haven't had my iPP shipped yet. But I agree. It should be called iPad Plus. The term Pro is misrepresented.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Yes I'm returning mine......only to exchange for the cellular version. Really should have just bought the cellular version in the first place!!
Thats what I just did. I was luchy enough to find a lte model today.

tatsumi

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2015
Why do people prefer the cellular version over the Wifi only?
Is there a reason why you don't want to use tethering over the iPhone?
In my case I would need to have 2 contracts just to get a sim card for the iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
In my case I would need to have 2 contracts just to get a sim card for the iPad.

I don't have tethering, because in order to get tethering I need to give up my unlimited plan.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I will probably be returning mine, although there is quite a lot i like about it like the size and light weight considering its size, and the speakers are pretty good too but not amazing like a lot of people are saying, they are just very good for a tablet.

The two main reasons i may be returning it-

1) Screen quality not as good as i was expecting, it has one of those overly bright white screens that strain your eyes and at the same time make the colours look a bit washed out. I would prefer one of those screens that has a slight yellow tint to them that make the colours look lot richer and warmer and are easier on the eye.

2) iOS is just not very good, its much better on a phone which is what it was designed for, OSX is just so much better so i will be sticking with my Macbook Pro. Also Apple haven't bothered to optimise anything about iOS for the iPP, all that extra screen space not being used, they should be ashamed.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'm on the fence.

I really like it, the larger screen is nice, but strictly as a convenient entertainment device on the go or on the couch I suspect it may be a little impractical for me due to size when compared to my Air 2. I get the keyboard on Monday, that may change my opinion of it.

The biggest change from the Air 2 besides size is that I find myself using landscape more. I hardly ever used the Air 2 that way bar video.

I have a Mac Mini and rMBP for graft, so the possible enhanced productivity of the Pro isn't something that is of benefit to me.

We shall see.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
That's what I don't get? Unless they're stuck on AT&T unlimited, like I was. I switched to T-Mobile unlimited, which includes tethering and is much cheaper than AT&T. Now, I'm happy as a clam.

Tethering works great for iPads and MacBooks. It's fast, seamless, and doesn't require another contract or Sim. After living with it for a month and a half or so, I now have no idea how I ever lived without it. Plus, I have the freedom of connecting with all my devices, including the kids' tablets. It's a much better way to go, IMOHO.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
To my great surprise my keyboard just arrived! Typing on it it now, on my lap, and it feels surprsingly stable. Hmm, this does put the Pro into a whole new light for me, definitely going to hold off for a bit before I make any decisions re returning it.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I will probably be returning mine, although there is quite a lot i like about it like the size and light weight considering its size, and the speakers are pretty good too but not amazing like a lot of people are saying, they are just very good for a tablet.

1) Screen quality not as good as i was expecting, it has one of those overly bright white screens that strain your eyes and at the same time make the colours look a bit washed out. I would prefer one of those screens that has a slight yellow tint to them that make the colours look lot richer and warmer and are easier on the eye.

2) iOS is just not very good, its much better on a phone which is what it was designed for, OSX is just so much better so i will be sticking with my Macbook Pro. Also Apple haven't bothered to optimise anything about iOS for the iPP, all that extra screen space not being used, they should be ashamed.

I have just noticed my return period is 20th Jan 2016, i thought i only had two weeks to try it out, looks like i have a lot longer. That is very generous of Apple, must be something to do with the holiday period.

Reactions: mehtdosa11

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
To my great surprise my keyboard just arrived! Typing on it it now, on my lap, and it feels surprsingly stable. Hmm, this does put the Pro into a whole new light for me, definitely going to hold off for a bit before I make any decisions re returning it.

This is precisely why not having the accessories at launch was such a major screwup.

I am 99% sure I am returning my iPad pro today. I know the return period longer, but the lack of new use cases without pencil and keyboard has pushed me to, "it's just not a laptop replacement yet or worth the weight."

And honestly, a big piece of my thinking has nothing to do with the lack of keyboard and pencil—because those will come—but their absence has forced me to focus on all of the limitations in iOS, limitations in apps, and the fact that the ecosystem is not profitable/attractive for most—most—iPad developers so I am skeptical about seeing updates for the iPad Pro.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is precisely why not having the accessories at launch was such a major screwup.

I am 99% sure I am returning my iPad pro today. I know the return period longer, but the lack of new use cases without pencil and keyboard has pushed me to, "it's just not a laptop replacement yet or worth the weight."

And honestly, a big piece of my thinking has nothing to do with the lack of keyboard and pencil—because those will come—but their absence has forced me to focus on all of the limitations in iOS, limitations in apps, and the fact that the ecosystem is not profitable/attractive for most—most—iPad developers so I am skeptical about seeing updates for the iPad Pro.

That is my biggest issue...it stills runs the same version of IOS as my phone and iPad mini. If I struggled with task on those devices and larger screen and pencil will not change that for me personally.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah, I understand your misgivings and you're spot on re lack of accessories at launch. Big mistake.

I'm still leaning towards keeping it, helped a lot by the Smart keyboard like I say, we shall see though.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

With my aging eyes the rMBP screen blows this IPP away. I fell in love with it the minute I started using it, I am so indifferent about this IPP which is kind of surprising cause I've liked all prior iPads except the iPad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.