Anyone else getting the iPad 2 this week?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ZombiePete, Mar 13, 2012.

1. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I plan on swinging by Best Buy, probably tomorrow, and picking up a white iPad 2. It'll be my first white i-device. Gonna get a smart cover too.

I've had the 32GB OG iPad 3G for about two years now, and originally planned on getting the "new" iPad until I saw the specs and realized that the only major improvement is going to be screen resolution, and that doesn't wow me all that much. I figure an upgrade from the iPad 1 to the 2 will be a significant improvement for me while saving me a couple bucks and keeping me off the "new gadget" rotation for another year. Maybe next year I'll get the iPad 3 for $100 less. ;)

Anyone else joining me in late upgrades to last year's model?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Not I. For $100 more I'd rather get double the resolution.

3. SamFisher macrumors member

This...

4. ZombiePete thread starter macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

The resolution really doesn't intrigue me all that much. Nor do the upgraded graphics capabilities; when I play a game on my iPad it's solitaire 95% of the time, and sometimes I'll load up a game of Monopoly if I'm stuck for something else to do. Other than that I'm reading, either websites, iBooks, or Feeddler. The current resolution of my iPad for those tasks has been fine for me. :)

5. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

So you will pay $549 for an iPad 2 (you still want 3G I presume) this week and $549 again for an iPad 3 next March? Why not just buy the iPad 3 right now for $649 rather than buying twice and spending more?

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then the new resolution is for you. It's not all about gaming. It's about reading a screen that is twice as sharp. Reading is precisely one of the key activities that will be made easier and better on the new display.

7. ZombiePete thread starter macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Negative; I am getting the 16GB wifi version. I haven't used the 3G on my iPad since I got a free Verizon LTE mifi which I currently don't have to pay for service on, and that should get me through about another five months before I have to start paying on again. I haven't even come close to using up 16GB of storage on my iPad after the 5.1 and Apple apps upgrades, so storage isn't a big concern for me. The likelihood is that at most I would be paying $399 tomorrow and maybe in a year another $399, which is about the most I want to pay at one time for a gadget at this point in my life.

Thanks for all the feedback from those of you who are getting the new iPad; not what I had in mind for this thread but I guess I should have known. :cool:

8. supervelous macrumors 6502

The only flaw in your thinking, even if you don't care about the upgraded features, is that the difference in resale value between your Ipad 3 and 2 in a year's time will eat up alot of that $100 savings.

Moot point if you never sell, and just hand down, but if you sell your old ipad to get the new one, the net savings after resale isn't worth it, might as well get the "new" one.

9. ZombiePete thread starter macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Thanks; I'm not going to be upsold to the new iPad. I really wasn't intending on asking for anyone's opinion on my choice of the iPad 2, though yours is welcomed and appreciated. You might note that I stated in the quote you grabbed that the current resolution was fine for me when it comes to reading, so again the upgraded resolution isn't enough of a motivator to buy the more expensive, newer model.

I probably really would not even be replacing my OG iPad were it not for the $399 price for the iPad 2, which is right at the sweet spot for me spending-wise right now. I feel comfortable justifying that expenditure to myself at this point in time.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

11. ZombiePete thread starter macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I have one iPad, my original. I bought my wife an iPad 2 for her birthday a week or so ago (got a refund after that $100 price difference) and then decided I might buy myself a new one too after the price reduction. I have never sold one of my iPhones and usually hand them down to my wife or, soon, to my daughter (when she's old enough).

It's fascinating how so many of you have jumped in here to seemingly convince me to buy the iPad 3 when I have stated numerous times I'm not interested in it. I really was just curious if anyone else was getting an iPad 2 this week. Thanks for the conversation though.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think the iPad 2 threads are going to get a bit sidetracked for the next few weeks... ;)

13. supervelous macrumors 6502

don't think I ever tried to "convince" you of anything, just pointed out that anyone thinking of getting Ipad 2 due to $100 price difference should factor in resale value into their value analysis. Since other people might read this thread who are trying to decide between Ipad 2 and new ipad, I think it's a valid point.

Many, many people upgrade their ipads via resale each year, not all which is why I said it's a moot point if anyone hands it down as you also seem to do.

Like I said, i didn't try to convince you, i doesn't matter to me what Ipad you get, I don't work for Apple.

14. str8bucs macrumors regular

This thread is useless.... Get with the times:D

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'm getting an iPad 2 but I don't think it's the reason you are looking for and I won't be getting it this week.

My mom is upgrading her iPad 2 to the new iPad so I'm benefitting by getting her old iPad 2 :). And I have to wait til I visit her in May to get it :( (But hey, free ipad :)! Which is awesome when you are on a tight budget and you just cannot find any justification for it and you can't really justify buying a random extra toy with no real use for you that you don't already have something that does that reasonably well).

I'd love the better screen and if I were buying one myself I'd just spend the extra for the better screen. But, the iPad 2 is still a good device and still is pretty relevant even if you are worried about still being compatible with new apps (and even games).

16. ZombiePete thread starter macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Yeah, fair enough. ;) I should have realized that with all the "where is my new iPad being warehoused today?" threads that I was in sparse company buying an iPad 2 this week.

I was in the same boat when the first iPad came out, so trust me when I say that I know the feeling. I have also been in line for almost every iPhone released each year since the first so I love new Apple stuff. I just haven't felt the urge when it comes to the iPad; I guess it was made so well the first time that I just didn't feel the need to upgrade. My wife's iPad 2 runs so phenomenally well, though, that I did get a little jealous of it. :p

17. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I'm considering a used iPad 2 from ebay or an open box iPad 2 from Best Buy discounted 10% more. I'm weighing spending $729 ($780 with tax) for a new 4G 32GB iPad or and iPad 2 3G 32GB for $450 on ebay that is six months old in mint condition for a price difference of $330. An open box iPad 32GB wi-fi model is $449 at Best Buy as well.

18. marksweb macrumors member

I wanted an iPad 2. I planned on getting a 64gb version after I saw the launch of 'the new iPad' but then saw that you can only get it in 16gb.
    So I've ordered 'the new iPad' 64gb instead.

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I had the money all set aside for the "new" iPad. I mainly want to switch a 3G model, I currently have an original 32gb wifi only. I may wait around a few more months and see if there is a further drop in price (not too likely) or wait for the Craigslist sellers to drop their prices.

I always like the newest "toys" but right now I am trying to save for some bigger things.

I hope you enjoy the iPad2, I'll probably join you soon. :)

20. number84 macrumors 6502

I think 3 days from the release it's a bit silly to buy the iPad 2. At least go into the store and take a look at the iPad 3 and compare the screens on both (preferably side-by-side). Even you think you don't need the high rez screen you may change your mind after seeing it and it may well be worth the $100 upgrade. My $0.02.

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

Why not get a refurb one? You'll save money that way. Remember Apple refurbs are basically brand new.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

$479 for a white 16GB iPad 2 (Wifi + 3G). Get it shipped to your home or Apple Store to pick up.

iPad 2 (16GB Wifi) for $349

or

iPad 3 (16GB Wifi) for $499

If money is an issue, go with the iPad 2 and save $150.

22. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Wait a minute here....

From your signature:
    Is it still 2010?!

Disclaimer: Since tone cannot be conveyed online I'd like to state I am joking with you. :)

23. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

You will 110% regret buying the iPad2 after this new one rolls out. Guaranteed.

You can try and fool yourself thinking you won't want it, but the new display will be jaw dropping....absolutely gorgeous. You'll be sitting next to someone with a new iPad (then looking down at yours) and you'll probably say to yourself....good lord, what did I just do?!?!

Everything will look 10x's better. Like going from SDTV to HDTV.

I know you don't seem to care, but mark the words of others and me...you'll be very sorry once you see what 100 bones more will get ya. Wait a pay cycle if money is an issue.

2048 X 1536 is the most massive upgrade to any iPad ever.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

You sound like you work for Apple. Just saying. :cool:

25. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I just bought my wife a 16gb ipad 2! I had bestbuy price match it so it only cost me 350 bucks. No way in hell is the new ipad screen worth 150 bucks. I already have a 2 myself and the screen is good enough for me. Apple isnt getting my money on an upgrade until its something i cant live without...like the next iphone which should be 4g. Ill buy that.

----------

Kinda agree with you. Its not going to be worth 150 extra bucks! Gauranteed!!