Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
xJvA2.jpg

Hdvhf.jpg

nwhe9.jpg

yTaJx.jpg

Fh3m6.jpg

nnesZ.jpg

For me, these guys make great pets. They like to be handled, are pretty, and are super easy to care for. Does anyone else here keep some? I have about 40 right now.

All of these images get bigger if you click them.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
For me, these guys make great pets. They like to be handled, are pretty, and are super easy to care for. Does anyone else here keep some? I have about 40 right now.

:eek: Yikes! 40? :eek:

Some questions:

1) How much do they cost?
2) Do you buy these at a typical pet store like PetSmart or Petco?
3) What do they eat? It looks like it's eating a moth or something in one of your pics.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
:eek: Yikes! 40? :eek:

Some questions:

1) How much do they cost?
2) Do you buy these at a typical pet store like PetSmart or Petco?
3) What do they eat? It looks like it's eating a moth or something in one of your pics.

1. Between $2-$10 some are more expensive, but I don't own those. I buy them as early nymphs, they get more expensive as they get older
2. Nope. Online. Mantidforum.net is where I get mine.
3. They eat smaller insects, and each other f you don't separate them.

----------

One of them is eating right now, so I took this pic for you.

rTylv.jpg

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Interesting stuff man. What the difference between the more expensive one's and the cheaper ones?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Aw I think they're cute!

I wouldn't own them since they'd be incompatible with my cat (its hard enough to keep her away from the frog tank now that she knows something lives in there).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't keep any as pets, but I don't mind them either. I don't get as many at my current place as I did at my parents' but I still see them occasionally :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
xJvA2.jpg

Cool. You have terrariums to keep them in? Do they drink water or get all their moisture from their prey? Is it difficult to tell a male from a female? Do they only eat live bugs or can you put a dead one on a stick and make it dance around as a substitute?* ;) Would they eat live meal worms? How much maintenance do they require?

*Years ago that is how I fed a rock python dead rats. Drag them around by the tail. The snake would strike and eat it.

Question is, do you mate them? I know mating them is kinda of a investment since you loose the male in hopes for more mantis.

You know your avatar is mantis like? ;)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I've seen people keep spiders as pets but I didn't know anyone had mantises. I think I prefer the green ones, they look less creepy.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Cool. You have terrariums to keep them in? Do they drink water or get all their moisture from their prey? Is it difficult to tell a male from a female? Do they only eat live bugs or can you put a dead one on a stick and make it dance around as a substitute?* ;) Would they eat live meal worms? How much maintenance do they require?

Most of them live in deli cups. Mantids like small cages to get their food easier. They get most water from pray, but they sometimes drink when you mist them. As nymphs, it can sometimes be difficult to sex them, it depends on the species. It's almost always obvious on adults though.

They will stop eating their prey if it does not fight. They will eat meal worms, but they're not very healthy. Mine eat hoppers, moths, and flies.

Very little maintence. They will eat as much as you want to feed them(except when about to molt), but only Ned to be fed bout 1x per week. Misting helps with molts. The small containers are cheap and easy to clean or replace.

----------

I've seen people keep spiders as pets but I didn't know anyone had mantises. I think I prefer the green ones, they look less creepy.

There are entire forums dedicated to keeping mantids. I get all of mine from forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I'm reminded of those movies from the 50's... With the 20' long ones spiders, mantises, your choice. :)

Most of them live in deli cups. Mantids like small cages to get their food easier. They get most water from pray, but they sometimes drink when you mist them. As nymphs, it can sometimes be difficult to sex them, it depends on the species. It's almost always obvious on adults though.

They will stop eating their prey if it does not fight. They will eat meal worms, but they're not very healthy. Mine eat hoppers, moths, and flies.

Very little maintence. They will eat as much as you want to feed them(except when about to molt), but only Ned to be fed bout 1x per week. Misting helps with molts. The small containers are cheap and easy to clean or replace.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably resist. :)

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Cool!

Do they bite, or pinch, or whatever? Are they easy to handle? Do they fly? How long do they live?

I like unusual pets like these. Very cool. :cool:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Cool!

Do they bite, or pinch, or whatever? Are they easy to handle? Do they fly? How long do they live?

I like unusual pets like these. Very cool. :cool:
They don't really pinch unless you've done somethig to hurt them. In only been pinned once when one of them was trying to eat the other and I aggressively separate them. It didn't hurt bad.
They really like to be handled.
Males can fly after they're adult. Females can't. Females live for a year, males for about 8 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.