Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlcool

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Ordered iPad 2 64G in Verizon store Friday at 5 PM...

I placed an order at the stroke of 5 PM Friday at the local Verizon store. I was told that it would ship by Monday and I would have it Tuesday or Wednesday. All weekend and today the "order status" page on like has had "technical difficulty" and failed to work. I called yesterday and this morning to customer support and was told that there are "600 64G iPads in the warehouse" for my geographic region - shouldn't be a problem for Monday shipping. This evening I called again, the order has not been filled, and the customer rep says that it may be 2 or 3 weeks. I am thinking that Apple called back in the stocks in their retailer partners supplies in order to re-supply the Apple Stores. In any event, Verizon reps never seemed to have a clue what was happening. I was told today that I can't cancel my order, but could return it for a refund within 14 days of receiving it.

Needless to say, I am not pleased.

rx4success2012

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
I placed an order at the stroke of 5 PM Friday at the local Verizon store. I was told that it would ship by Monday and I would have it Tuesday or Wednesday. All weekend and today the "order status" page on like has had "technical difficulty" and failed to work. I called yesterday and this morning to customer support and was told that there are "600 64G iPads in the warehouse" for my geographic region - shouldn't be a problem for Monday shipping. This evening I called again, the order has not been filled, and the customer rep says that it may be 2 or 3 weeks. I am thinking that Apple called back in the stocks in their retailer partners supplies in order to re-supply the Apple Stores. In any event, Verizon reps never seemed to have a clue what was happening. I was told today that I can't cancel my order, but could return it for a refund within 14 days of receiving it.

Needless to say, I am not pleased.

Sounds close to my story but I hope that my order was filled. I am not a current Verizon customer so they couldn't tell me anything about my order at customer service. I guess I will know tomorrow. Most likely however I will experience similar results.

Update:
Using the method I have found in other forums by using the location number and order number on fedex.com I have finally a way to track my package!

Last edited:

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Sounds close to my story but I hope that my order was filled. I am not a current Verizon customer so they couldn't tell me anything about my order at customer service. I guess I will know tomorrow. Most likely however I will experience similar results.

Update:
Using the method I have found in other forums by using the location number and order number on fedex.com I have finally a way to track my package!

can you post the method?

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
darn verizon, they charged my cc even though i cancelled my order.......a credit better be coming..........

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I'm trying to do their online chat but I just keep getting:
No representatives are available. Please try again later.

and I can't call right now.

ReelAction

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
NorCal
Verizon Contact #

Not a current Verizon customer, so no account number, but here is what has worked for me.
800 256-4646
Can't remember the prompts, but it will be fairly obvious.
Provide the rep with the Order Location and the digits following the "#" sign just after the Order location, that is the store order number.
With that they were able to view the order and see if it has been assigned a tracking number.

BTW - my 32GB order on 3/11 @ 5:17 pst has still not been processed, but my AMEX has been charged.
Will be canceling this order tomorrow if this does not improve.
Since I was led to believe that I would receive it on Sat, the delivery is my home, and tired of calling every morning for status to see if I need to make delivery arrangements for the required signature.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Not a current Verizon customer, so no account number, but here is what has worked for me.
800 256-4646
Can't remember the prompts, but it will be fairly obvious.
Provide the rep with the Order Location and the digits following the "#" sign just after the Order location, that is the store order number.
With that they were able to view the order and see if it has been assigned a tracking number.

BTW - my 32GB order on 3/11 @ 5:17 pst has still not been processed, but my AMEX has been charged.
Will be canceling this order tomorrow if this does not improve.
Since I was led to believe that I would receive it on Sat, the delivery is my home, and tired of calling every morning for status to see if I need to make delivery arrangements for the required signature.

If you can get the tracking number you should be able to presign for it, but you obviously wouldn't want it sitting out on your steps or anything.

DC2020

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
My credit card has been charged as well with no indication as to when this will ship. Let's see.... $800 from every order for 4 to 5 weeks back-order. That adds up to a lot of interest. I was under the impression that they didnt bill your card until they shipped.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I still think this is all supply constraints...it is obvious that Verizon thought they would have them on launch day and then it didn't happen. Unfortunatly, the word didn't get out that they were not coming which isn't surprising given how 'tight' apple is on the release of information.

Everyone is used to apple having a lot of stock when releases are announced.....

We are all just going to have to be patient.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I still think this is all supply constraints...it is obvious that Verizon thought they would have them on launch day and then it didn't happen. Unfortunatly, the word didn't get out that they were not coming which isn't surprising given how 'tight' apple is on the release of information.

Everyone is used to apple having a lot of stock when releases are announced.....

of course it's supply constraints, but that means they shouldn't be telling people they'll be shipping in two days, and they shouldn't be charging credit cards until they're ready to ship them. the ONLY reason I went through a verizon store was because they said the ipad would be here by today at the very latest. Otherwise I could have just ordered from best buy and gotten rewards points or ordered directly through apple and have the same wait time.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010

That is a terrible rationalization. Verizon is selling this iPad with the intent of immediate delivery. This was not a pre-order. We were all lead to believe that they are in stock and will be shipping immediately.

I don't think I have ever been so heated at Verizon. This is atrocious. I too am sick of calling every 6 hours to find out about my tracking number, only to get the stupid run around about supply constraints. I placed my order at 5pm EST - how much earlier could someone have ordered and gone out of stock?

If I don't get an update within the next 24 hours, I too will be canceling my order and will pick up an ATT version. At least ATT is telling their customers (on their website) that this will not ship for another 2-3 weeks. I HATE being lied to and mislead.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
par for the course when dealing with cell phone company employees.....but your right :) That is why I cancelled my order....you should probably go reserve one at bestbuy or order from apple. I put an apple.com order in and i'll leave it unless i happen to find one retail in the meantime.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
par for the course when dealing with cell phone company employees.....but your right :) That is why I cancelled my order....you should probably go reserve one at bestbuy or order from apple. I put an apple.com order in and i'll leave it unless i happen to find one retail in the meantime.

At least Apple doesn't charge your card until it's ready to ship. Verizon has real nerve. I'm so pissed that I may even decide to cancel my existing phone lines with them.

rx4success2012

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
can you post the method?

Go to Fedex.com and use the track by reference number.

On your receipt you should have a location number and a order number

Use these two by putting in the location number then an underscore and then the order number. The order number needs to be nine digits so place zeros in front of your order number in order to do that.

For example: it should look something like this

1234501_000384818 (Made up number)

I just made up the numeric sequence out of concerns for privacy.

For a while it said there wasn't any tracking information but at 11:50 last night, information came up. So it may not be available yet if your shipping has been delayed

Hope this helps.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011

Use these two by putting in the location number then an underscore and then the order number. The order number needs to be nine digits so place zeros in front of your order number in order to do that.

For a while it said there wasn't any tracking information but at 11:50 last night, information came up. So it may not be available yet if your shipping has been delayed

Hope this helps.

That's the same information I was able to find after you mentioned it. but I don't think i'm getting the order number right.

There's the number at the bottom of the receipt but it has no underscores in it and is longer than 16 digits.

Last edited:

rx4success2012

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
That's the same information I was able to find after you mentioned it. but I don't think i'm getting the order number right.

There's the number at the bottom of the receipt but it has no underscores in it and is longer than 16 digits.

For order location it says D2587 01 #111952 Pmt 1 of 1 (I'm assuming the payment info is irrelevent and the location is the D2587 the 01 is the register, and I *thought* the 111952 was the order number, but that seems too short)

On the bottom of the receipt (by the barcode) it's NNISD258701000111952 (similar to the information above) I tried splitting this number up to use as the order number but nothing comes up in fedex so I can't tell if i'm doing it wrong or fedex just has no information yet.

I didn't have a letter in my location code but I did use the 01 as part of my location number so for yours I would try 258701_000111952 and if that dont work try putting a 0 in front of 258701. Or if you can just call Fedex and ask them if they have anything shipping to your address

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010

Hope this helps.

Doesn't work for me either... and my location code has a "D" in front of it as well.
Placed my order at 5PM EST on 3/11/11

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I didn't have a letter in my location code but I did use the 01 as part of my location number so for yours I would try 258701_000111952 and if that dont work try putting a 0 in front of 258701. Or if you can just call Fedex and ask them if they have anything shipping to your address

no luck. :-( and I can't get anyone on fedex's chat thing either.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I should also mention. below the last four of my CC number it has two items:

Trace ID: (blank)
Reference: 100553

I've been trying to mix that number into the fedex soup but it's not working either.

DC2020

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Just received the following email from the customer service agent I ordered my ipad 2 from at Verizon. I ordered at 5:00 on the 11th.

"We received updates that the ipads are expected to be sent out by next week friday. They were on back order from day one as per all channels including apple.

I will keep you updated as the information becomes available to us."

For what it is worth....

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Just received the following email from the customer service agent I ordered my ipad 2 from at Verizon. I ordered at 5:00 on the 11th.

"We received updates that the ipads are expected to be sent out by next week friday. They were on back order from day one as per all channels including apple.

I will keep you updated as the information becomes available to us."

For what it is worth....

So they're not sending out a single unit until the international launch? That's a real bummer. I assumed apple would have more stock around that time but still. That's kinda F'd up to charge everyone and then not deliver for 3 weeks without so much as a phone call/email to most people.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
So they're not sending out a single unit until the international launch? That's a real bummer. I assumed apple would have more stock around that time but still. That's kinda F'd up to charge everyone and then not deliver for 3 weeks without so much as a phone call/email to most people.

I'm going to my VZW store and finding out what the hell is going on. If I hear this from them, I will for sure cancel. Just awful.
Also, if this is true, how did rx4success2012 package go out?

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I'm going to my VZW store and finding out what the hell is going on. If I hear this from them, I will for sure cancel. Just awful.
Also, if this is true, how did rx4success2012 package go out?

Thanks, keep us posted. If you don't cancel, ask them how you're supposed to track your order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.