Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Wondering if anyone AT&T users are still on the unlimited data grandfather plan from the original iPhone. Is it even worth it anymore?

My bill is roughly $100 a month and that's the 450 talk, unlimited messaging, and unlimited data plan. I have a work discount in there that knocks off about $15 a month bringing it down to $85.

I might use 100 minutes talk a month, probably send out 500 texts (likely another 1,500 iMessages), and on average use just over 4gb of data (highest month 4.87, lowest month 2.05 in the last 14 months).

Saw the announcement of $65 plans today and am just wondering if there's something better than the unlimited deal I'm paying now. Still on contract with my iPhone 5 until fall 2014 although I may finally jump ship to Verizon once the contract is up simply because they sell unlocked phones straight out the gate and I don't have to wait 2 years (or pay insane international rates) for AT&T to unlock the phone for me.

Unlimited data users... are there any still out there? Is there a more worthwhile plan?

Thanks!
M

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Knoxvegas
Me

Wondering if anyone AT&T users are still on the unlimited data grandfather plan from the original iPhone. Is it even worth it anymore?

My bill is roughly $100 a month and that's the 450 talk, unlimited messaging, and unlimited data plan. I have a work discount in there that knocks off about $15 a month bringing it down to $85.

I might use 100 minutes talk a month, probably send out 500 texts (likely another 1,500 iMessages), and on average use just over 4gb of data (highest month 4.87, lowest month 2.05 in the last 14 months).

Saw the announcement of $65 plans today and am just wondering if there's something better than the unlimited deal I'm paying now. Still on contract with my iPhone 5 until fall 2014 although I may finally jump ship to Verizon once the contract is up simply because they sell unlocked phones straight out the gate and I don't have to wait 2 years (or pay insane international rates) for AT&T to unlock the phone for me.

Unlimited data users... are there any still out there? Is there a more worthwhile plan?

Thanks!
M

I'm still using.
I personally like it, just for fact that I never have to worry about going over. Usually I get throttled around 5GB per month.

jC9YxJ6.png

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
I just switched to 10gb share. I averaged about 1.5gb with unlimited so it was best to switch to share plan to save money and so my other lines can use more then 200mb which they were only allowed before.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm still on unlimited since the iPhone 3G. Have had everyone iPhone since and just keep transferring over my unlimited data. I will never give it up. I use about 4GB a month, but other users on my family plan use upwards of 10GB a month even though they get throttled at 5GB. It would cost much more to be on a share everything plan.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I still have unlimited and I will probably never give it up.. It is very nice not needing to worry about overages and I can stream as much music as I want...

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
My wife and I still have ours. We use about 3GB each, but it's not to worry about ever going over. If they made the data plans that you can carry over unused data to the next month, now that would be nice.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I still have it. I didn't get it with the original iPhone though. I got it back on November 2011 with the iPhone 2G trick. Still have it to this day. Will never give it up. The data may be throttled, but its very usable. Rather not worry about overages.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Still have mine since the 3G. 450 mins, 200 texts, unlimited data on single line (I'm also single, if any cares :) zing). Total bill, after work discount, is around $76-$77/mo.

No significant benefit for me to drop it, yet, but these other carriers and their new promos are making that decision a whole lot more difficult than it used to be. Sent from my iPhone 5.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yes, but I might drop it.

I'm basically spending like $120 extra per month on it.

I already have a MobileShare, so if I move my number to it, I would be saving quite a bit.

I give up a lot of things like tethering and FaceTime over cellular, and I have pay extra for domestic and international messaging, all for the sake of a some unlimited data plan that I only use 2GB a month.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for some of the feedback. I'm not on any mobile share plan; just me. Looks like I'll be holding onto it for the time being. Although, when the new iPhone 6 rolls around, I'll most likely be dumping AT&T all together and moving to Verizon. Been with AT&T for about 13 years and yet their inability to approve simple requests for long-term customers is non-existent. Suppose they don't care about current customers when they can get new ones.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I still have mine and will keep it until data prices get low enough that it's no longer worth it. If I can get the equivalent of 6GB or more of data for the price I'm paying for my unlimited plan now -- then I'll dump it if AT&T doesn't increase the throttling limit.

Right now the even the newer cheaper plans only make sense for people on multiple lines and/or people who don't use much data.

Data use is only going up. I remember when I had an iPhone 3G and some months only used 75mb of data for the entire month. Now, I generally get throttled toward the end of the month after exceeding 5GB.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Thanks for some of the feedback. I'm not on any mobile share plan; just me. Looks like I'll be holding onto it for the time being. Although, when the new iPhone 6 rolls around, I'll most likely be dumping AT&T all together and moving to Verizon. Been with AT&T for about 13 years and yet their inability to approve simple requests for long-term customers is non-existent. Suppose they don't care about current customers when they can get new ones.

Well, I'm sure your experience varies from others. But both AT&T & Verizon doesn't put forth their best interests toward customers, yet they both try to disguise as if they are.

I've been with AT&T for some years, I'm not saying it's all lovely... But whenever I have an issue it has been addressed and cleared up. With regards to the unlimited data plan package AT&T kept it for the existing users as well gave them the ability to upgrade, whereas Verizon customers had to pay full price for their phones in order to keep their existing unlimited package.

AT&T new plans are cheaper compared to Verizon, but I'm not saying AT&T is better... All I'm implying is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

----------

Right now the even the newer cheaper plans only make sense for people on multiple lines and/or people who don't use much data.

Agreed! I'm on a family plan with 4 lines which 2 that had unlimited data plans which wasn't really been taking advantage of.

Decided to move on toward the mobile shared data plan, feels good to see the bill come by :).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just dropped it this year. Data is actually becoming affordable, and I never use more than 2.5gb in any given billing period. Made the switch to t-mobile and my bill is $30 a month cheaper with virtually the same plan.

The slow down speeds are way worse than att (it drops to edge), but you never have to worry about overages.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Hard for me to justify dropping unlimited data when all my unlimited data lines get 24% off the $30 unlimited data plans (in addition to our voice plans).

So it costs us around $23/line for unlimited data. Not bad with no overcharges.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
still have it, will never get rid of it. it's nice to never have to even think twice about downloading/streaming anything.

i update all my apps over cellular data, and rarely even connect to wifi. AT&T LTE speeds in NY rival that of a wifi network.

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
24%? With who?

Mine is 20% all across. Tried another employer's discount for 25%, but that was only for the main line

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I still have 2 of my 5 lines on my account that have the grandfathered unlimited plans. But looking hard at giving them up though and moving to T-Mobile and getting the rest of the lines onto iPhones (I'd sign up for my line to be unlimited with T-Mo and the others at the 2.5 GB or 500 MB plans).

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Wholeheartedly agree. Both companies are terrible. You'd think customer service would be a priority, but just like with cable/internet providers, it seems far down on the list.

At least with Verizon they sell their phones unlocked outright. For traveling, that alone makes the switch worthwhile, all other things equal.

Well, I'm sure your experience varies from others. But both AT&T & Verizon doesn't put forth their best interests toward customers, yet they both try to disguise as if they are.

AT&T new plans are cheaper compared to Verizon, but I'm not saying AT&T is better... All I'm implying is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side..

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey
Still Unlimited

I'm still on the unlimited AT&T plan from the original iPhone. Over the next year, I will have to add two lines so I'll have to decide at that time if it's worth keeping or should I switch. I range between 3 to 6 GB per month of data.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am still on it, but will likely transfer over to their family plan. I use the most out of my family and thats about 5GB a month, on everage. The other two lines are at about 1GB, so the 10GB plan should be more than adequate for our usage, and would save us, after discounts, about $40 a month. Just have to wait for my wife to dump her Verizon line that she had through a corporate line (which drasically went up in price the last upgrade she did).

Would also like to sell the damg line but not sure where. eBay isn't a place I want to go with this, craigslist my posts keep getting removed...

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
I have the same deal you do. ATT has no more regular plans, and all of them are designed to rip you off. If you want to save money, get some friends and start a family plan and max it out. But you still won't be getting much data.

T mobile is a far better deal. BYOD, off contract is the way to go. Makes it far easier to upgrade phones or save money, and its better if you work overseas. Their plans are really good. As soon as I get around to it, I am switching to them. All plans are unlimited talk and text and come with mobile hotspot. 60 bucks for 3gbs per month, 70 for unlimited. No data overage charges. Additional ~$10-15 for unlimited international calling. etc etc. The network is said to be good in cities but not in rural areas.

Verizon is expensive, but worth it if you travel around the US a lot and need coverage everywhere. Otherwise, I have found them quite incompetent and expensive. They really cater to corporate accounts. Their phones don't work internationally, so they are out for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.