Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Anyone waiting for the Ultrasuede before ordering both that and the Air Jacket in one order? I sent them an email and they said the Ultrasuede is coming in a few weeks too. Doesn’t look like it will be durable, but it’s a fresh take.

kampongkid

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
I’ll probably pick up an ultrasuede, but I’m more looking forward to whatever the shock absorbing case is that they’re putting out. Definitely glad they’re working on new stuff since the airjacket oversights make it a hard pass for me this time around.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
I’ll probably pick up an ultrasuede, but I’m more looking forward to whatever the shock absorbing case is that they’re putting out. Definitely glad they’re working on new stuff since the airjacket oversights make it a hard pass for me this time around.

Haven’t heard about the shock absorbing one. Any pic or link to share?

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Interesting material on the Ultrasuede Flip Case. It looks like it will compete with the Apple Folio Case. I noticed there's a cut in the front so you can close the flap while on the phone...that's a plus over Apple. It would've been nice to include an insert for a card (or two). Check out the pictures below, this is the color Asphalt...available also in Red, Sky, and Blue. It's kinda expensive for $46.95 and I'm still on the fence.

ultrasuede-flip-case-iPX_0005s_0005s_0001s_0003_hb-PGK-90__88872.1511392019.1280.1280.jpg

ultrasuede-flip-case-iPX_0005s_0005s_0000s_0003_hf-PGK-90__70743.1511392028.1280.1280.jpg

flip-case-_0005s_0005s_0003_iso_PGK-90__31704.1511392041.1280.1280.jpg

Ultrasuede-flip-case-iPX_0001s_0005s_0004_h-ultrasuede_inside__42568.1511392073.1280.1280.jpg

Ultrasuede-flip-case-iPX_0001s_0005s_0003_h_logo_PGK-90__84186.1511392076.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

kampongkid

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
I don’t get why the ultra suede air jacket would cost the same as the folio style. Picked up a shock absorber.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Dammit, now I feel like I need the matte version for the X, too. Looks great in those pics.

My clear case came yesterday and it’s typical PS. Precise cutouts and fits well. Seems to be easier to remove this time, btw.
Yes, it is easier to remove. Yes, it is slippery but it looks amazing for the Silver model. The shiny frames look great with the Air Jacket Clear. Think about it this way, without a case the phone is slippery and with the clear case it is less slippery but gives protection and looks great.

There is no lip on these air jackets and that is expected. It is like using a skin but with better protection.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 208

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
Received 2 replacement clear AJs from Power Support yesterday and just now tested them out. Unfortunately both exhibit the same issues I had before. They’re still creaky and have visible (and audible) signs of not fitting right. I’m convinced it’s because they made them easier to remove. They’re like a millimeter or two too big to get that snugness that the Air Jacket usually has. Bummer.

I absolutely love everything else about the case though. On another note, has anyone tried the black rubber AJ for the X? Maybe the creaks won’t be present due to the different material??

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Received 2 replacement clear AJs from Power Support yesterday and just now tested them out. Unfortunately both exhibit the same issues I had before. They’re still creaky and have visible (and audible) signs of not fitting right. I’m convinced it’s because they made them easier to remove. They’re like a millimeter or two too big to get that snugness that the Air Jacket usually has. Bummer.

I absolutely love everything else about the case though. On another note, has anyone tried the black rubber AJ for the X? Maybe the creaks won’t be present due to the different material??

My same thoughts. I am very disappointed with the Air Jacket for the X. I have always loved their products. This is the first time in a very long time I will not ne using a power support case.

ashlodad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010

I agreed I bought two cases they were having same issues , I send them back for refund

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I used the Air Jacket a few years ago for my iPhone 5 and loved it. They had the full coverage above the lightning port but that's where it broke apart. Guess that's why the later versions have it open.

Just a few questions for those who already have it for the X:
- Is the clear version scratch resistant to an extent? Is their claim of "self healing coating" true or does it scratch like all other hard clear cases?
- Does anyone have the "shock proof" version? How different is it from the standard version?

I always thought Air Jackets were made in Japan but the power support website is based in the US?

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Youtube video showing the creaking sound that others have reported:

According to the person who uploaded, Power Support apparently replied:

We apologize for the inconvenience you have faced due to the defective product. We have recognized that the Air-Jacket for iPhone X are not tight for a few customers. But it is cause the individual difference of iPhone or case. There are individual differences during silver one and gray one too.

We ask for your kind understanding and cooperation . Lastly, please accept our sincere apologies. Because of it cause the individual difference. So that is a difficult problem to address. We do not have any solution of it. We hope you understand. Thank you, Best Regards,

Last edited:

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
Yep, that’s exactly the issue I have. Furthermore, when you do 2 handed typing with your fingers resting on the back of the case you can hear the case tapping the phone with each keystroke. Super annoying.

I will say that one of the replacements I was sent doesn’t creak as bad as the others, but it’s still there.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
i feel theyve been phoning it in ever since the 6 when people complained about the fit (i loved my clear airjacket for my 6 as well as my SE and i still swear by their films). 6S came out with different locations for the speaker holes, they said no biggie the 6 jacket will fit but it clearly didn't. Then the 7 came out and they made the current changes to make it easier to take off. However with the Jet Black they acknowledged that the clear case left the ugly watermark/splotching, said they'd fix it, to my knowledge never did. Then the 8 comes out, different dimensions in all three directions, glass back, and they just say the 7 cases are fine? With the same problem as the Jet Black watermarking on the glass of the 8? But meanwhile for the X they put the microdots inside the case to prevent the watermarking?

Not sure when they got so lazy.

Reactions: trife

kampongkid

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
Already bought a shock proof, but this discount has me pretty tempted to grab an ultrasuede and dragontail glass as well

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
i feel theyve been phoning it in ever since the 6 when people complained about the fit (i loved my clear airjacket for my 6 as well as my SE and i still swear by their films). 6S came out with different locations for the speaker holes, they said no biggie the 6 jacket will fit but it clearly didn't. Then the 7 came out and they made the current changes to make it easier to take off. However with the Jet Black they acknowledged that the clear case left the ugly watermark/splotching, said they'd fix it, to my knowledge never did. Then the 8 comes out, different dimensions in all three directions, glass back, and they just say the 7 cases are fine? With the same problem as the Jet Black watermarking on the glass of the 8? But meanwhile for the X they put the microdots inside the case to prevent the watermarking?

Not sure when they got so lazy.

Agreed. I will say that the 7+ cases fit the 8+ just fine though. No issues there for me.

But yeah, it’s been a steady decline in overall quality and attention to detail. Seems like I noticed the decline after their products stopped being sold in Apple stores.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Is the Shock Proof a thin bumper (TPU) and the back is hard clear plastic (PC)? Also, is it one-piece like regular Air Jacket or two-pieces? Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
I found a close up picture of the Shock Proof Air Jacket. It's two-pieces, a transparent Air Jacket made of TPU (soft) AND a heat-resistant bumper made of PC (hard). I'm disappointed of the the two-pieces. I wish they made it just one-piece. Power Support need new case designers, no wonder they were taken off from Apple Store a long time ago. Personally, I think I'll stick with regular Air Jacket or the Lucid Clear case.

https://www.pawasapo.co.jp/review_image/22/108.jpg

Last edited:

kampongkid

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
The two piece design is probably for putting it on/removing. Personally rather deal with that than funky cut outs and recessed corners. Should have it in a few days for impressions.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
Doesn’t TPU yellow over time? Never used a TPU case but that seems to be a common complaint. Also, TPU is soft right?

Seems like something I probably wouldn’t like, but I’m interested to see some real world impressions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.