Anyone losing momentum?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by refslady, Mar 17, 2015.

1. refslady macrumors regular

The downside of Apple's extra long window between announcement and pre-orders is the potential loss of impulse shoppers like me. After the announcement in September I was stoked. After the announcement this month I was ready to go buy a Watch the same day. I would even have been thrilled if pre-ordering was starting at the end of this week. However, I am being given enough time to cool down -- not that I won't get the Watch, but I'm getting more 'meh' about it -- I never needed to have it and now I just want it -- not WANT it.

Anybody else losing the sense of euphoria?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

3. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Exactly that.

4. bumpylumpy macrumors member

I might get to where you are by the time the pre-order date opens. At first I was convinced I wanted a Stainless Steel, then I got shocked at the price of the link bracelet. Now I've had lots of time to think about it and I think I'm not really sure I want anything more than the Aluminum with the sports band.

The thing that is really making me lose interest is that we've heard pretty much nothing, and no new information about any new apps that are supposed to come out and really push it over the edge.

So while I still want one, I'm no longer thinking I want a SS, and maybe by pre-order time I may just decide to wait and see what kind of apps come out and not buy it until I've read the reviews.

If Apple were smart, they'd keep the information flow going; tease new apps and show more use-case videos.

5. refslady thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly - a month with no news can become a cooling off period.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Negative. If anything, this wait makes me want it more.

More time to think about all the awesome stuff I could do with it.

I challenged myself not to pull out my phone to check the time, and holy ****, I found myself stopping myself a lot more than I thought I would.

This watch can't get here fast enough.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The extra long window was necessary. This is a radical device, and ithe rumor mill was getting out of hand.

8. ipodlover77, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Not gonna lie. My desire for one went down drastically once I heard it was going to be on sale April 24th. Not sure why they would have a keynote to announce that its eventually come then have another keynote to say it was coming a month and a half later.

The more I think about it, the more I feel as though i won't really take advantage of all the features. Having a one day battery life for something fitness orientated is kind of a blower.

9. David R macrumors 6502

A week ago I was set on purchasing the SS watch. The more time that passes, the more I am talking myself into "downgrading" to the Sports model for multiple reasons.

10. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

+1

I am dying here counting down the days...

RTJ

11. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I think we'll continue to see information teased on a regular basis. I'm also thinking there's a possibility the embargo will be released a bit earlier than normal so we get real life reviews before the pre-order date.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm getting one regardless because I'm already sold on the smart watch concept as I've been wearing a Pebble watch for over a month now and don't leave the house without it.

13. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

Why was an extra long window necessary? A month before pre-orders is a bit long in my opinion. They have been hitting the fashion magazines pretty hard lately, and it seems obvious that getting women on board is a major goal. That part I do agree with, because having a bunch of geeky guys on board is far from a huge success. I wish we could just pre-order it now and wait for it to come in next month.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Classic impulse buying phase. It plays out like a hurricane.

You experienced the front end last fall when the watch was first demoed leading up to it's announcement. This post-announcement, pre-pre-order period is like the eye of a storm - every quite, not much going on, dull and easy get distracted on other things that are obtainable right now.

But when the backend of the storm hit and everyone is trying on watches, pre-ordering, waiting for pre-orders to ship, etc. you'll be right back at fever pitch b/c you will want to be in the action, part of the party. It's how the hype machine works.

15. refslady thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, like the mid-stages of a pregnancy. Excitement when you find out, then the waiting until the birth. Then you get a baby to play with! :D

16. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

It's good to sort out the impulse buyers. Sometimes I make myself wait a week for something big to see it I really want it. I plan a tattoo for at least 6 months. The impulse buyers are more likely to be unhappy with it later.

The wait has actually caused me to want it more. The more I learn about the interface, the happier I am. I am also planning to spend a LOT more than I had planned originally. I would have a black sport if it had been quick impulse. Now I am for sure getting SS LINK. The only reason I would consider the SS Sport is if the shipping estimates are massively different on pre order day (gotta get it before a mid may vacation)

17. refslady thread starter macrumors regular

I have done the same thing.

18. orioncrystalice macrumors 6502

orioncrystalice

Maybe a little, but bottom line is I need to hold it and wear it before ANYTHING...

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I knew I was getting one even before it was originally announced. I didn't care what it did, what it looked like, or anything else. I drank too much of the kool-aid.

However, 6 months between the original announcement (keynote) and the item becoming available reminds me an awful lot of the disastrous Palm Pre.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The original iPad had a one month window too. Did it lose momentum? No and so you have your answer.

21. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Well I convinced myself that I wouldn't be getting one when it was first announced, but that's mostly because I can't wear it to work (that will likely change by the time gen 2 comes out).

But for me it's kind of working the opposite. I feel nearly the same way about the watch as I did the iPad. i.e. I think it's very pretty and flashy, but also kind of a disappointment, and I'm not sure how much practical use it would be for me. But then over time the anticipation builds.

If/when I were to get an Apple Watch I'm 90% sure I'll go 42mm sport model and then if eventually I decide I want to dress it up for special occasions I'll buy the milanese loop.

22. refslady thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not talking about the device losing momentum. I am talking about my over-the-top level of excitement. I'm on earth now, not flying around daydreaming about it.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Fair enough. I think Apple cares more about potential sales number.

24. lirn8 macrumors 6502

lirn8

Absolutely right.....
    I was so ready to buy the Apple watch
    And now it's like : OK I'll see when time comes