Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I am distraught. After two weeks of using the iPad Pro, I still cannot decide if I should return this and then pick up the SP4. I've read that the SP4 received an update to squash some of the reported bugs. Since I have another week left with the iPad Pro, I will test out the SP4 and then make my decision.

Here are my pros and cons for the iPad Pro.

Pros: (1) Amazing screen; (2) Great audio; (3) fluid and fast; (4) works seamlessly in my growing Apple eco-system; (5) uses the lightning connector so I can charge it in different rooms of my house.

Cons: (1) unwieldy, heavy, and uncomfortable for casual use on the bed; (2) no additional functionality and thus, no distinguishing features from its smaller iPad brothers; (3) ANNOYINGLY BAD KEYBOARD OPTIONS. This irritates me as I continually read all the great reviews on the SP4's type cover. The Smart Keyboard is ridiculously bad. It has one angle, the travel and feel of the keys are a joke, and the damn cover reminds me of all those annoying origami lessons I was forced to take as a child. UNBELIEVABLE how Cook and his team came up with such bad design language regarding the keyboard.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
(2) no additional functionality and thus, no distinguishing features from its smaller iPad brothers

If you don't think the bigger screen is a significant distinguishing feature on its own, then obviously, the iPad Pro is not for you.

As for the keyboard cover, I kind of agree with you there. The feel of the keys doesn't feel that different from the Surface keyboard covers, IMO, but the way that folds is atrocious. I tried it in the store and decided it's not for me. But I'm quite happy with using the iPP with my existing Apple Bluetooth keyboard when sitting at a desk. This allows me to position the iPad at a comfortable viewing height/distance while keeping the keyboard in my lap. For using the iPad on my lap, I'm happy using the software keyboard -- but I've gotten used to doing that with the previous iPads I've had.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
If you don't think the bigger screen is a significant distinguishing feature on its own, then obviously, the iPad Pro is not for you.

As for the keyboard cover, I kind of agree with you there. The feel of the keys doesn't feel that different from the Surface keyboard covers, IMO, but the way that folds is atrocious. I tried it in the store and decided it's not for me. But I'm quite happy with using the iPP with my existing Apple Bluetooth keyboard when sitting at a desk. This allows me to position the iPad at a comfortable viewing height/distance while keeping the keyboard in my lap. For using the iPad on my lap, I'm happy using the software keyboard -- but I've gotten used to doing that with the previous iPads I've had.

The size of the screen needs no mention. It is a distinguishing factor, but in terms of multi-tasking, is it really? The iPad Air also has split view and shares the same multi-tasking features. I hoped the iPad Pro would feature MORE multi-tasking features to take advantage of that extra screen real estate.

As for the Keyboard, the SP4 (which I just purchased and have right now) type cover is superior. It is an absolute stud. Not only is it thin, light and acts as a protective cover, the travel on the keys are satisfying. It has chiclet type keys and a glass trackpad which, to my surprise, is extremely responsive and great to use. I hope a third party produces a back cover that has a built in kickstand to mimic the SP4's and then pairs it with a SP4 like type cover.

I love iPP's digital keyboard but I can't do any work on Word. I can't use the Apple Smart Keyboard because it's just a mess and the Logitech Create is so bulky and heavy that it defeats the purpose of the iPP being mobile.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
The size of the screen needs no mention. It is a distinguishing factor, but in terms of multi-tasking, is it really? The iPad Air also has split view and shares the same multi-tasking features. I hoped the iPad Pro would feature MORE multi-tasking features to take advantage of that extra screen real estate.

As for the Keyboard, the SP4 (which I just purchased and have right now) type cover is superior. It is an absolute stud. Not only is it thin, light and acts as a protective cover, the travel on the keys are satisfying. It has chiclet type keys and a glass trackpad which, to my surprise, is extremely responsive and great to use. I hope a third party produces a back cover that has a built in kickstand to mimic the SP4's and then pairs it with a SP4 like type cover.

I love iPP's digital keyboard but I can't do any work on Word. I can't use the Apple Smart Keyboard because it's just a mess and the Logitech Create is so bulky and heavy that it defeats the purpose of the iPP being mobile.
It's going be interesting to see you come back to this board complaining that the SP4 HAD SO MANY BUGS and doesn't quite fit your lifestyle within a few weeks......enjoy

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
It's going be interesting to see you come back to this board complaining that the SP4 HAD SO MANY BUGS and doesn't quite fit your lifestyle within a few weeks......enjoy

That is what I am hearing as well. That plus the insufficient battery life. I will keep you posted. For me, at this point, if there was a lightweight keyboard cover that offered multiple viewing angles, and that connected to the iPP port, I would be thrilled.

Why not just create a back cover that has a built in kickstand much like the SP4 and then bundle it with a type cover, again like the SP4's?

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
I returned mine, along with the pencil, keyboard, and case. In the end, there were a number of reasons: too bulky, didn't need the pencil functionality, no force touch, too pricey -- but the deal killer was that I hadn't turned the thing on for over a month. That was a pretty sure sign that I didn't have any use for it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I returned mine, along with the pencil, keyboard, and case. In the end, there were a number of reasons: too bulky, didn't need the pencil functionality, no force touch, too pricey -- but the deal killer was that I hadn't turned the thing on for over a month. That was a pretty sure sign that I didn't have any use for it.

I returned mine for the same reasons, no 3D Touch is a big no buy for a premium device like this. Also it's the same boring design from the last 3 years. Time for an update to the iPad line.

I even got mine open item for $80 off. It just wasn't worth it. I think the 32gb Pro should only be priced $100 over the 64gb Air 2 at most.

Last edited:

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
All tablets are basically just flat rectangles. What kind of design changes were you hoping for?

I can't imagine they are going to make it any thinner. It is already so thin I'm afraid I will bend it in half by accident. I think the next big design change for tablets will be in another 2-3 years when we begin to see folding/bending screens. Perhaps a body the same size as an iPad Mini where the screen folds out to the size of the iPad Pro when it's opened. I can say for sure that is not coming during 2016, but I'd guess it will by 2018. Until then, I'm not sure what more they can do to make it thinner or smaller. There is barely any bezel anymore, and it's only a few millimeters thick. Maybe removing the home button will save a tiny bit of space, but it won't make a huge difference.

I think the next couple of iPad updates will just be added features for the most part, and perhaps new colors or a new design look, but I'd expect the size to remain pretty similar. But even as far as added features go, they are starting to run out of possibilities. My iPhone and iPad have already replaced my computer, phone, camera, video camera, wallet, watch, compass, level, calculator, and probably a few more devices I cannot think of at the moment. What's next? Will it make me a cup of coffee? Maybe that's in iOS20 LOL

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
I feel the opposite. I actually find using this thing a blast. I work from home ( multi monitor, tech job ), I can get up from my desk, and simply pick up where I left off on my ipad. All of the aps I use on my mac have a direct port to ipad ( maybe I'm lucky ) ? , slack, chrome, notes, Cisco anyconnect, skype, with my keyboard ( which is amazing ), this thing does what I need and what i want, and it's still more portable than a laptop, by far. Guess my job has it's benefits

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
Maybe I am out of my mind here but.....I love my iPad Pro (and I am not an artist)!

The experience is definitely better with the pencil and the apple keyboard.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Maybe I am out of my mind here but.....I love my iPad Pro (and I am not an artist)!

The experience is definitely better with the pencil and the apple keyboard.
I do find that sometimes i just want to use the pro as a tablet, and folding the smartkeyboard behind the pro is a BIT of a pain, but aside from that i agree, these two items make it very unique.

jpy1980

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2014
I bought a loaded surface pro 4 (8gb, 256ssd, i5) and can't hate it enough. The resolution is so high that any older Windows applications look horrible and won't scale properly. Also the fan noise for the higher end models is too loud. I'm returning it today.

Wss considering an iPad pro, but now thinking otherwise after reading everyone's comments.

Reactions: baypharm

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
I bought a loaded surface pro 4 (8gb, 256ssd, i5) and can't hate it enough. The resolution is so high that any older Windows applications look horrible and won't scale properly. Also the fan noise for the higher end models is too loud. I'm returning it today.

Wss considering an iPad pro, but now thinking otherwise after reading everyone's comments.

What do you currently use your device for, or more importantly, what was the surface pro going to be used for?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

People basically complained that the iPP being expensive. It's twice as much as iPad Air 2, yet it is still just an iPad. That is, it didn't cook dinner for them or cure any cancers.

People should have more realistic expectations. IPP is a big iPad with digital pen capability. If you didn't want/care either, don't buy it.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
People basically complained that the iPP being expensive. It's twice as much as iPad Air 2, yet it is still just an iPad. That is, it didn't cook dinner for them or cure any cancers.

People should have more realistic expectations. IPP is a big iPad with digital pen capability. If you didn't want/care either, don't buy it.

It's not any more expensive than a laptop it can replace IMO. But again, each person will have their own views i recon.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Obviously... Reading comments in this specific thread will make you think otherwise.

If anything... You should take it upon yourself to try the iPP & see if it's good enough for you. Give yourself a week to put into its paces & choose whether you like it or not.

Download apps, use it as much as possible to gather a real experience with it. I enjoy mine... Browsing the web, using the keyboard, watching videos, using various optimized iPP apps along with SplitView.. I'm already anxious to see what Apple plans for the iPP2.

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I went from an Air 2 to the IPP and I am absolutely IN LOVE! Best iPad I've ever owned. I'm not an artist, but I do use the pencil to doodle and to color with. Other than that, I use my iPad the same as I used my Air 2 and the sheer size of the screen, the sound from the speakers... it's amazing.

cc00lltt00nn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Buford, GA
"It's too heavy! Wahhhhhhh!" :confused: Guess what? It's bigger, so it's going to weigh more. You knew that when you bought it. If your wimpy nerd arms can't stand to hold a few extra ounces, you've got more issues to concern yourself with.

Also, relative to the size, the Pro is actually lighter than the Air 2 on a inch/gram basis.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it seems like some people on here are constantly looking for reasons to complain.

Reactions: Nausicaa

mikewired

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I tried 2 different surface pro 4's and a Surface Book. I own 2 MacBook pros and iPads and iPhones and I was foolish to expect the surface devices to function as well as my Apple products. The surface line is plagued with problems. Short battery life, lock ups, and a whole list of issues. Do they test these things before they are sent out into the world. I have a need to run Windows occasionally. I want to use a stylus for taking notes. I wanted a small light device to do all these things while working from my car. This is what the surface should be able to provide. It can't. I returned them all and got an iPad pro with the pencil. All I can say is wow! The pencil is excellent, the speakers are terrific and loud, the screen is bright and big, and the battery lasts as expected from an iPad. In order to solve my need for Windows I purchased an open box Lenovo Yoga 3 pro for a good price and will have to make do with it's terrible track pad but it is super thin and light. I had been running boot camp for my Windows needs but became increasingly complicated and unreliable with sub ports. So now I must carry 2 devices but the iPad pro does the 90% of what I need most of the day. The iPad pro coupled with the Smart Cover and silicone case are awesome once you swallow the price. They feel really good in the hand and the folded Smart Cover is super stable, much better than the smaller covers from the regular iPad sizes because it is larger with more contact surface. My only 2 real issues are the note programs are not quite as robust as one note for the surface and the silicone cover makes they power and volume buttons hard to press. I am really surprised that Apple didn't put thinner material over the buttons like on the Smart Cover for the other iPads. The speakers are now stereo! They are loud! They have Bass! I watched a movie last night and it's like a mini portable home theater.

Reactions: soulreaver99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.