Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Did anyone upgrade from a 7 to a 7 Plus? Exactly how much longer does the battery last? Everywhere I read seems to say 2 hours.

Reactions: Sunny1990

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Did anyone upgrade from a 7 to a 7 Plus? Exactly how much longer does the battery last? Everywhere I read seems to say 2 hours.

I did and yes the battery does last longer. I don't believe it is 2 hours but certainly an hour or so.

I charge every night, so it is difficult to be precise.

Hope that helps.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Android drains the battery being idle way faster than iOS. You don't have to be using it for it to kill the battery. Especially with a low signal. My LG V20 has around 30% left by the time I go to bed, and that is with very little use.

Unless you live on your phone it will last all day long. If it is not enough, you need to get a job!

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Here is my usage so far. Took it off the charger around 11:30 last night.
f60e7c79aff6383bc2a7a594b05742da.jpg

Reactions: decafjava

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Here is from my LG V20. Somewhat heavy use today as I have been off, and been really busy running around town and using the phone. Will need to charge it so I can make it through the evening. Pathetic to say the least. I can't wait to get my 7 plus back.

Attachments

• Capture+_2017-04-07-16-55-12.png
    Capture+_2017-04-07-16-55-12.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 304
  • Capture+_2017-04-07-16-55-23.png
    Capture+_2017-04-07-16-55-23.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Capture+_2017-04-07-16-55-31.png
    Capture+_2017-04-07-16-55-31.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 284

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
@KillaMac, when it says "usage on battery" that is how long the phone has been unplugged, not how long it has been actually used, correct?

So it would comparable to what iOS shows as Standby?

Thanks

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Here is from my LG V20. Somewhat heavy use today as I have been off, and been really busy running around town and using the phone. Will need to charge it so I can make it through the evening. Pathetic to say the least. I can't wait to get my 7 plus back.
If you get rid of the iPhone 7 plus again, I am afraid I will have to report you to the proper Apple authorities. o_O

Reactions: KillaMac

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
@KillaMac, when it says "usage on battery" that is how long the phone has been unplugged, not how long it has been actually used, correct?

So it would comparable to what iOS shows as Standby?

Thanks

Pretty sure it's how long the phone has been unplugged. You could click on "screen usage" and get a rough estimation of the usage.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I did and yes the battery does last longer. I don't believe it is 2 hours but certainly an hour or so.

I charge every night, so it is difficult to be precise.

Hope that helps.

That really did help! That's exactly what I was looking for. So 1 hour of extra usage? As in screen on time? Does it lose its charge a lot slower when on standby or just listening to music?

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
That really did help! That's exactly what I was looking for. So 1 hour of extra usage? As in screen on time? Does it lose its charge a lot slower when on standby or just listening to music?

Glad, it did. It does lose its charge a lot slower. As you you can see from the posted battery consumption of the 7 by deano1972, the usage time is close but the standby time on the Plus is much higher.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Glad, it did. It does lose its charge a lot slower. As you you can see from the posted battery consumption of the 7 by deano1972, the usage time is close but the standby time on the Plus is much higher.
The extra 6 hours standby time your screen shot has would usually take 1 or 2% battery off my iPhone 7 taking it to 70% battery ;)

Here's a screen shot with longer standby time just for you

IMG_0334.PNG

Reactions: charlyee

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Lol, so what's the moral of the story for the OP? Don't upgrade for the battery life, do it for the camera? :p
Of course the size is a given.
Personal opinion is the 7 plus generally has a little better battery life than the 7 but nothing spectacularly better as the 7 is capable of great battery life too. I wouldn't switch for battery life alone unless the difference was massive.
Obviously better camera and extra ram is a plus, and the main benefit being the bigger better screen if you can live with the size of the phone/phablet :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Something else to keep in mind is that while many phones will have around average battery life, some will have better than average more consistently, while others will have worse than average more consistently, which can make comparisons a bit tougher in the sense of what would apply to most vs some.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Something else to keep in mind is that while many phones will have around average battery life, some will have better than average more consistently, while others will have worse than average more consistently, which can make comparisons a bit tougher in the sense of what would apply to most vs some.
Agree ..Those are fair points, ...still I don't believe the difference in battery life between a 7 and 7 plus is significant enough to switch phones solely for that reason alone if that's what the op is asking ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Agree ..Those are fair points, ...still I don't believe the difference in battery life between a 7 and 7 plus is significant enough to switch phones solely for that reason alone if that's what the op is asking ;)
That can potentially depend on what type of battery life someone might be getting with a 7 vs what they might get with a 7+. In some cases the differences might not be as much as in others (with averages and all that). But I get what you are saying, in so much that personal experience can certainly have influence on it all.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016

Good point! But why do some phones have better than average battery life? My iPhone 7's usage is around the 3.5-4 hours at 50%. At 10% battery, the usage is around 8 hours. That's with a 3G signal, wifi on 24/7 and just messaging on WhatsApp, Facebook and browsing the web. No gaming.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I started this thread because a lot of websites that reviewed the iPhone 7 are reporting terrible battery life. They say that the 7 Plus can get "an extra 3 hours of usage". Some say the iPhone 7 can't even last a day, but the 7 Plus can last two days. Reading the posts here, it seems like the 7 Plus is only marginally better than the 7

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I started this thread because a lot of websites that reviewed the iPhone 7 are reporting terrible battery life. They say that the 7 Plus can get "an extra 3 hours of usage". Some say the iPhone 7 can't even last a day, but the 7 Plus can last two days. Reading the posts here, it seems like the 7 Plus is only marginally better than the 7
Forgive me but those reviews you mention are talking rubbish.
I've owned 2 iPhone 7's and have access to a third and 2 of the 3 often last 2 days with reasonable usage. My first iPhone 7 was faulty and would drain 2% per hour on standby just sitting there doing nothing (it even drained by a similar amount whilst switched off) but even that would last a full day and easily managed 7+ hours usage throughout the day before the battery was low.
Even Apple only quote a moderate difference in battery life between the 2 phones under ideal conditions I.e 14 hours vs 12 usage etc browsing but in real world more like 10 or 11 vs 9 Typical?

You say your iPhone 7 managed 8 hours usage? If you switch to a 7 plus that may only manage 9 or 10 (some do from what I've seen online), reason enough to really be worth switching and spending extra money for alone? Food for thought!

Last edited:
Reactions: Freakonomics101

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Good point! But why do some phones have better than average battery life? My iPhone 7's usage is around the 3.5-4 hours at 50%. At 10% battery, the usage is around 8 hours. That's with a 3G signal, wifi on 24/7 and just messaging on WhatsApp, Facebook and browsing the web. No gaming.
Mine is about that as well, and it seems it's like that or maybe slightly better for quite a few others. A few will have better numbers, and a few will have worse. A lot of things play into battery life from the device, to what's on it, what gets used, signal of different networks, where and how the device is used more often, etc.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Regarding the bolded text, that's exactly what it comes down to. Is it's user based experiences. No two forum members or any other iPhone owner will have the same battery life, because they use their iPhones for different purposes, which have an affect on the battery life with applications, signal strength, multitasking, etc.

Point is, is that you will read positive experiences and negative experiences, but that applies to any iPhone, not just the iPhone 7 Plus. It's really varies on how you use your iPhone more than what the actual numbers stated the iPhone can be rated for battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.