Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Let's see what the new watch has to offer. My immediate reaction to LTE is "I don't want it", but that's everyone reaction, so I wonder if Apple has a secret card to play here.. some application or use of LTE that we haven't considered. I don't know what it could be, but I do know that Apple isn't going to launch LTE just to check off a box on the spec sheet. That's operate for the most part, they don't just throw gimmicks into their products.

If Series 3 has most of: better battery life, faster SOC, thinner, more stylish, some USEFUL reason for LTE then I'll buy.

Reactions: mk313 and xDKP

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
If Series 3 has most of: better battery life, faster SOC, thinner, more stylish, some USEFUL reason for LTE then I'll buy.

Swap thinner for even better battery life on my list - it’s perfect thin (my mechanical watches are thicker) and battery for a weekend away would be cool

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm prob upgrading my series 0 sport for something. I don't know if i want another sport or a SS maybe a Edition. Also like the current Hermes with the classic band. Worried about how the SS will hold up and the extra weight. My space gray sport looks brand new and help up extremely well over the years with the abuse i gave it. I want the upgrade for battery life, faster chip (this thing runs like dog poo compared to a S2) and the waterproofing, LTE would be nice but don't know how in my case verizon handles it.

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
I have a Series 0 42 that I bought at launch and worn nearly everyday since. The only thing that has me excited about upgrading to a new watch is LTE connectivity. I'd like to reduce the need to have my phone always with me, but still be accessible in an emergency. I assume it will work similar to an iPad (data only) but that is totally fine by me as I get so few call (mostly messages) anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm prob upgrading my series 0 sport for something. I don't know if i want another sport or a SS maybe a Edition. Also like the current Hermes with the classic band. Worried about how the SS will hold up and the extra weight. My space gray sport looks brand new and help up extremely well over the years with the abuse i gave it. I want the upgrade for battery life, faster chip (this thing runs like dog poo compared to a S2) and the waterproofing, LTE would be nice but don't know how in my case verizon handles it.

The trade off with the stainless model, is it 40% heavier than the Sport Watch. But, it has the Saphirre display and also can be restored to its original condition with a cape cod cloth, due to the 316 L stainless scratching relatively easy. I owned both the aluminum and stainless model, and the stainless is my preference.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
As long as my Series 0 Sport keeps on functioning well, I won't upgrade unless there is a compelling reason to do so. At this point I can't really think of any expected new features that I really want or need, but of course that could change when we find out what the next watch offers.

Now I do plan on upgrading my iPhone 6 to either an iPhone 8, 7+, or 7s+ (depending on what is announced and what the features are). My iPhone 6 isn't holding a charge like it used to, and it's also a bit sluggish at times when it comes to the latest iOS and apps. I imagine the same fate will eventually drive me to upgrade my watch. Battery life at 2 years isn't what it used to be, but still good enough. By the time battery life really becomes an issue (another 6 months? Another year?) I imagine performance may also be an issue. Snappy performance is pretty important for the watch (more so than for the iPhone IMHO. On the other hand watch apps tend to be pretty light, so maybe hardware wise the original watch will work just fine at 3 years or even further out (although a battery replacement will likely be necessary).

So I'm in no rush. If I need to I will upgrade to another Sport in 2018, whether it's a Series 1, Series 2, or whatever new model is announced. Depends on what's available and what my budget is at the time. If I have the funds, I will even consider a SS case!

Sean

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
As long as my Series 0 Sport keeps on functioning well, I won't upgrade unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

I think that’s pretty much the thought of every buyer of every product in history - the “compelling reason to do so” varies quite a bit from person to person though

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I think that’s pretty much the thought of every buyer of every product in history - the “compelling reason to do so” varies quite a bit from person to person though

Yeah..l suppose that was a bit of an obvious statement, but you have to admit that some people just want what's new for no reason other than it's the latest and greatest. By "compelling reason" I meant that it would offer some functionality I don't currently get from Series 0 that I would want. So far I haven't been interested in upgrading because Series 2 features like waterproofing are nice but not that necessary or compelling for me. I'm not excited about LTE in the watch either, but maybe Apple will surprise me with something I do want enough to justify paying for. I'm not going to upgrade just because my watch is old... unless performance starts to become an issue.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah..l suppose that was a bit of an obvious statement, but you have to admit that some people just want what's new for no reason other than it's the latest and greatest. By "compelling reason" I meant that it would offer some functionality I don't currently get from Series 0 that I would want. So far I haven't been interested in upgrading because Series 2 features like waterproofing are nice but not that necessary or compelling for me. I'm not excited about LTE in the watch either, but maybe Apple will surprise me with something I do want enough to justify paying for. I'm not going to upgrade just because my watch is old... unless performance starts to become an issue.

Agreed. Improving the screen brightness, water resistance, and GPS were great features, but certainly were not what I was seeking. I do think Apple made enough upgrades in Series 2 over the first generation Apple Watch, but the Apple Watch is expensive, and if somebody's going to upgrade from the first generation to the second generation Apple Watch, what would justify that price point? Now, if somebody had not owned an Apple Watch before and they were looking to purchase one, then the Series 1/Series 2 would be an easy decision.

Of Course Apple can't meet all our expectations, ultimately what I would like to see, is additional watch faces, physical changes to the casing options, perhaps a larger display if applicable and all other software features are merely a bonus for me.

Reactions: sean000 and OllyW

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark

Of course - I feel exactly the same - the new features should be enough for the individual to upgrade.

As a runner GPS was the killer feature of S2 and the speed upgrade made it even better. Here almost 12 months in the water resistance has proven to be a lovely addition as well

But of course all of this is my usage - LTE is not a thing I have been wanting bad, so hopefully they will show something else to make it even more compelling

Reactions: mk313

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I do hope for a slightly new look, but if I had to choose between a new look or stay compatible with all my straps, I'll take the latter - so PLEASE Apple if you redesign it, just keep it compatible!

Agreed... I would be very annoyed if they changed the case enough to make current bands obsolete. I don't see them doing that any time soon. A move like that would discourage people from buying multiple bands. It wouldn't be terribly bad for me, because I only own four bands and none of them were expensive (three are third party). I would sure be mad if I had a band that cost hundreds of dollars though!

I still like the shape and look of the case. Thinner would be nice, but I hope they keep the same basic form factor for a few more years.

Sean

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I do hope for a slightly new look, but if I had to choose between a new look or stay compatible with all my straps, I'll take the latter - so PLEASE Apple if you redesign it, just keep it compatible!

I don't see Apple changing the band port anytime soon. That would be a poor business practice at this junction, because there is a large profit for them in the band market and they know this as well. Eventually, it couldn't happen where the port changes, but given how technology evolves, I would expect that later before sooner.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
What are the good use cases for LTE in a watch?

- making/receiving calls
- sending/receiving messages?
- streaming music/podcasts/audiobooks (as noted in this thread)
- siri stuff?

Is there something you can do real-time with sensors that would require LTE?

It's kind of like the LTE vs wifi for the iPad - only it seems like not as compelling of a use case because input on the watch is kind of tedious.

If apple wants cell phone providers to use the same number on a phone... Why don't they do the same thing with an iPad?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
I have been waiting for the LTE watch, so yes I will purchase it upon release. My IPP 10.5 & a LTE Apple Watch will be the best fit for my usage pattern. I'll keep my 6s plus until the iOS is retired for it.

Curly Lu

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Bay Area
I plan to pre-order the LTE watch. I wonder if the price difference between the LTE and standard models will be $130 like the iPad.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I wonder with the LTE version if you can choose to use it or not like the iPad. I can purchase the iPad cellular but I don't necessary need to activate it right away.

Curly Lu

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Bay Area
I wonder with the LTE version if you can choose to use it or not like the iPad. I can purchase the iPad cellular but I don't necessary need to activate it right away.
That's a good question! I wonder if there will be standalone plans or if we can combine them with existing plans.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
No, because Apple gave me a Series 2 as a replacement in lieu of repairing my stainless first-gen.

(might be worth a new thread? Nah...)

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
AW3 will be my first apple watch. If the monthly cost is not absurd, i will get a LTE model. I usually carry my android and leave my iphone at home.

Reactions: AppleKarma

ceparker27

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Alright, I'm new to the whole  Watch thing, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do the older models only have Bluetooth and no wifi? I'm thinking that a wifi watch would be the best of both worlds, since most places anymore have decent wifi, and there's usually somewhere nearby that does. It would be nice to reduce my setup to just a watch and AirPods for times when I don't want to be bogged down with social media but still want to be contacted.

At any rate, I'll probably get either a S3 with wifi (LTE probably won't be worth the cost) or snag an S2 dirt cheap.

Reactions: AppleKarma

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Alright, I'm new to the whole  Watch thing, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do the older models only have Bluetooth and no wifi? I'm thinking that a wifi watch would be the best of both worlds, since most places anymore have decent wifi, and there's usually somewhere nearby that does. It would be nice to reduce my setup to just a watch and AirPods for times when I don't want to be bogged down with social media but still want to be contacted.

At any rate, I'll probably get either a S3 with wifi (LTE probably won't be worth the cost) or snag an S2 dirt cheap.

The first generation Apple Watch and Series 1/2 use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities. Once it recognizes a Wi-Fi address, it will connect to the Wi-Fi device again if no Bluetooth is accessible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.