Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
I just spoke with an idiot Apple representative via iMessage and they said it not official that the firmware is out even though I sent him articles from CNET.com where Apple made a statement that the firmware updates were rolling out that day. He said it wasn't official.

This would just be easier if Apple would give us the ability to update our firmware manually.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I just spoke with an idiot Apple representative via iMessage and they said it not official that the firmware is out even though I sent him articles from CNET.com where Apple made a statement that the firmware updates were rolling out that day. He said it wasn't official.

This would just be easier if Apple would give us the ability to update our firmware manually.

OR have an update email system like, say Garmin. I get emails whenever they update their firmware (for everything they sell, which is a LOT of stuff). But if I see something that I own, I can then go and update it. Wading through the info is tedious at times due to how much stuff they do sell, but without that service, I would likely never know that they update was available. People signed up to their beta program also get notices for beta releases the same way.

I asked Siri in my HomePod, how to update her. She said to use the Home app. Okay, shouldn't there be a HomePod app? I tried the Home app, and could not find a way to check for updates, and I can't change Siri's accent either. Disappointed... I don't know why it is so hard to update and tweak their features and firmware.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Good news, friends! I’ve received Apple’s Official Positions on the Matter! Apple’s First Official Position on the Matter was that the response from the RTA to Engineering has Officially Confirmed that no AirTag update has been released! Now, some of you may see firmware 1.0.276 while others see 1.0.225. That is because Apple did release an updated firmware on June 3rd. So, Apple’s new Official Position on the Matter is that to be eligible for firmware updates on your AirTags, they must remain connected to your phone and in very close proximity (less than 1 ft away) at ALL TIMES. In other words, you are not eligible for firmware updates if your AirTags are EVER more than 1-ft away from your iPhone.

If you think this is a joke, think again! These are the things I’ve been told by a Senior Advisor. After I asked how I could ever use the AirTags if they had to always stay within 1 ft of my iPhone, the Senior Advisor finally stopped reading a script and agreed that something seemed off. So, another RTA to Engineering was done. Stay tuned for Apple’s Official Position on the Matter, ver. 3!

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Good news, friends! I’ve received Apple’s Official Positions on the Matter! Apple’s First Official Position on the Matter was that the response from the RTA to Engineering has Officially Confirmed that no AirTag update has been released! Now, some of you may see firmware 1.0.276 while others see 1.0.225. That is because Apple did release an updated firmware on June 3rd. So, Apple’s new Official Position on the Matter is that to be eligible for firmware updates on your AirTags, they must remain connected to your phone and in very close proximity (less than 1 ft away) at ALL TIMES. In other words, you are not eligible for firmware updates if your AirTags are EVER more than 1-ft away from your iPhone.

If you think this is a joke, think again! These are the things I’ve been told by a Senior Advisor. After I asked how I could ever use the AirTags if they had to always stay within 1 ft of my iPhone, the Senior Advisor finally stopped reading a script and agreed that something seemed off. So, another RTA to Engineering was done. Stay tuned for Apple’s Official Position on the Matter, ver. 3!
Whaaaat? That's crazy!

Reactions: sfrangu

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

Sounds like your 'senior' engineer was hired about three milliseconds before he answered the question. I've gotten some bad advice from 'senior' people at Apple, and at the stores too. One decided that I had to completely re-rip ALL of my CDs because apparently I had way too much time on my hands. Then the next SA was 'No, there was no need to do all of that. All you would have had to do is '....'. *sigh* (That was the year I re-ripped all my CDs twice. It took me over a week each time! I never knew I had so many CDs)

Ahh, but once I did get to someone who actually knew what he was talking about, and it was the internals of macOS, and how it overlays and interacts with Mach (or not). He was spot on with all that he told me, and I tested him with some questions while looking at the MAN pages. He knew it inside and out, at least what I was having an issue with. And it was an interesting conversation...

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

That’s funny since my AirPods with AirTag on the case is at proximity at all times when I’m in office. And it doesn’t update.

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
My 3 Airtags were suddenly updated with firmware 1.0.276 this morning in Norway.

Attachments

• 79A0A94E-2CA2-4BF9-89A4-C2CD3D39F367.png
    79A0A94E-2CA2-4BF9-89A4-C2CD3D39F367.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • 22A2CF90-F3A2-49B0-B0E7-7377FFCD2415.png
    22A2CF90-F3A2-49B0-B0E7-7377FFCD2415.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • 99DCBC6A-04AE-47B7-9032-94AE79516DAC.png
    99DCBC6A-04AE-47B7-9032-94AE79516DAC.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 100

pbsxr

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2019
My keys- and bagtag have been updated this night, too... my bike is still pending (due to there was no iDevice with internet connection nearby)

Patchday!

hopfully no restrictions apply

jrhop

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
My keys- and bagtag have been updated this night, too... my bike is still pending (due to there was no iDevice with internet connection nearby)

Patchday!

hopfully no restrictions apply
I guess they probably did a slow rollout initially to ensure there weren't issues and have now released it for all.

dsabathi

macrumors member
May 8, 2019
Austria: Seems that update is now rolling out.
3 out of my 5 updated today.
One of the two so far not updated AirTags is the one I put for testing right beside my phone ;-)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
+1 Both sets of keys updated last night. The one in my SUV hasn't, but they likely did the rollout last night after I was running errands. Expect that one to update the next time I'm driving around.

Canada - iOS 14.7 beta.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017

I guess there might be some truth to this!

iLoveDeveloping

Suspended
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Just checked mine now after reading the article! 3 of my 4 are updated the new build (I have 2 still in box not used yet). Guess they pushed out a new update last night or today!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.