Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

USA Today spoke with Steve Jobs about the impending App Store launch that is rumored to launch at 9 am PT on Thursday, July 10th.

Jobs reveals that 500 applications will be launching on Thursday and that it is "the biggest launch" of his career. Apps will be available from MySpace, Facebook, AOL, eBay, SEGA and many more companies. One called Pandora allows you to create custom internet radio stations:
Pandora is already available on other phones from AT&T (T) and Sprint, (S) for a monthly fee. On the iPhone, it is free. That makes it "a credible alternative to broadcast (radio)," in part because iPhones can be plugged into car stereos, founder Tim Westergren says.
According to Jobs, at launch, 25% (~125) of the apps will be free while 90% of the remaining applications will be $9.99 or less.

Article Link

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Oh snap! I called 500 applications a long time ago on Yahoo! Answers! :p

Dang it, Facebook better have done it right...no wonder why they didn't respond to my proposal...

ebrunn

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Apple must have gave AOL special access to the push sever setup for AIM if its available at launch.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Seems kinda low to me. There were 4000 developers (myself included).

I'm worried that they won't release all the titles that were submitted before the deadline last week.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
500 apps jeeeez

Apple's gotta figure out a better way to organize apps on this thing then pages and pages of icons hehe..

OH and only 9 pages.. i cant fit 500 apps on 9 pages! :p

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
i wonder how many of these will be fluff? like simple apps that really don't do much of anything. or games no one could care about.

still, its exciting as all hell!

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Apple must have gave AOL special access to the push sever setup for AIM if its available at launch.

It'd be nice.

But you do realize that you don't need push in order to use AIM, right? They'd treat it like Safari. When you exit, you log off.

Edit: MobileChat figured out a way around it for now. It queue's up the messages when you tap the home button. When you go back in, you get the messages. When you want to sign out, just tap the log off button.

Sure, you can receive a message a day late, but it's the best we've got before push.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2006
OK, I think i understand why WWDC was nothing but the iphone and it had nothing new except 3G and GPS, I was like what did they do all this time, but approving 500 apps....yeah....iPhone Killers will have a whole new basket to tackle.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
Ok I think I just soiled myself... IN A GOOD WAY.

THIS IS AMAZING. I CANT WAIT. I WANT MY IPHONE 3G RIGHT NOW.

(Any advice on relaxing at a time like this)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.