Apple Accidentally Allowed Downgrades All the Way Back to iOS 6 Early Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Yes

2. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

I did back everything up, but why does that matter? I'm not going to bother with a restore right now, and it probably won't help.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    Plenty of vulnerabilities, including I think a nasty one through NTP.

3. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

I think that one was on the Mac (fixed in 10.9.2 iirc), but there is the good ol' goto fail issue with SSL/TLS for 7.0.6 and prior.

4. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Ah, I was thinking of the "unix time zero brick" bug, which could be exploited using a spoofed NTP server, but it turns out that was in iOS 8. There was also that OS X NTP buffer overflow bug you're referring to.

5. CaptainFS macrumors member

6. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

Oh nice (or not, hah), I forgot about that one. I've really been slacking on keeping up with anything after iOS 6.

7. etiennebucher macrumors newbie

etiennebucher

It is not about nostalgia, it's about Apple killing my iPad with iOS10! It is an old iPad 4, I know, but it was working perfectly, until the last update that has made it so slow that it is now unusable. Apple does this on purpose to sell new devices, it has nothing to do with new features (the same is true for the battery scandal). Apple has no right to stop me from downgrading to older OS versions. It is my device and I do with it whatever I want. I really hope that the European Parliament will stop this illegal behavior from Apple!

8. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

This aside...

As a now android mobile user the original iOS6 when i had an iphone was super silky smooth.

11 on my iPad just..... isn't.

9. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Well in your case, because you have an iPad 4, you can still downgrade it to iOS 8.4.1 at any time which will be a night and day difference in performance compared to iOS 10.

10. pika2000 macrumors 601

This, and the recent stupid password bugs, makes me think Apple's middle managers are getting lazy, and let the interns do their job.

11. Madhava macrumors member

Good to hear that.
    Is it still possible to do it?
    Also how is the performance now, is it faster compared to the later versions?

12. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

iOS11 is utter garbage. The worst OS ever released by Apple. iOS10 was perfect (for me).

13. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

I wouldn't miss it, but it seems to be faster than the simple graphics. Somehow.

14. andreiru macrumors 6502

andreiru

My mother had an iPhone 4 which she happily used in iOS 6. Then iOS 7 came, I recommended she upgraded so she reluctantly did and the phone has became virtually unuseable on it. She was effectively forced to stop using that phone. She bought herself a non-smartphone phone. Now she has my 6s. The situation with software downgrades should be approved by the company in selected cases such as the one with my mother.

15. vooke macrumors 6502

vooke

My Air 2 runs fine on 11 and every other bets they throw out. Why downgrade?

16. BritishApple macrumors regular

Gutted I missed this. I would have downgraded my iPhone 7 and iPad 9.7 2017 to iOS 10.3.3 in a heartbeat.

17. Sven11 Suspended

I wish I knew this earlier as well... My old iPad 3 is terrible on iOS 9 and has been collecting dust for quite some time. The same applies for my iPhone 4 which is stuck on iOS 7 which is even worse. At least I managed to downgrade my 4s to iOS 6.

With some (a lot of) luck maybe this “accident” will happen again or someone finds a vulnerability in the signing process or something.

18. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Damn, I wish I had noticed this at the time! I have an old iPhone 4S, an iPhone 5C, and an iPad 4th gen I'd love to get downgraded just for "collectors value" of being on as close to their original OS as possible.

19. bpp85 macrumors member

bpp85

I just downgraded 30 minutes ago, so it’s still possible to do it for iPhone 4s :)

20. MrGuder macrumors 68030

True but not at this magnitude before that is what's different. It use to be that users just accepted what ever Apple put out but now people are going to seriously think before they hit that software update button. This is something Apple doesn't want, the trickery has been disclosed and even the news media has caught on to these events.

Do you think users would have upgraded iOS if there was a disclosure that this update may slow your processor and speed of your iPhone and degrade battery in the fine print?

21. Madhava macrumors member

Thanks. Can you let me know the steps for doing this or any link.

22. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

Wish I could have seen that in time. Want to go back to iOS 10 on my phone.

23. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

I got a 4s, and looks like 6.1.3 is still signed right now. However, the major downside is that most apps won't work. FaceTime won't work either.

24. bpp85 macrumors member

bpp85

I just googled “iOS 6.1.3 for iPhone 4S” and downloaded the software. Once it downloaded I went to iTunes, connected my iPhone and clicked on restore while holding the option key on the keyboard, located the file I downloaded and it started restoring. That’s it. The phone is super fast now and it’s really nice to use it and see how different it was :p

25. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That's something different that has been discusssed quite a bit in many threads about throttling.